Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does the phrase “with engine load” mean? Does that mean that during the crying test there was CH4/LOX flowing through the engine but it was not ignited?
They have an engine thrust simulator built into the test stand. It shoves up on the engine mount points with an equivalent force to what the Raptors produce.

Very cool. I did not know that. I assume they did the same thing during F9 development?

Sounds like SpaceX is very close to a hop for SN4!
Unsure if F9 did that. The 3x3 and octoweb designs may have allowed independent testing.
Got a shot of the load system. There is another somewhere when they installed it in the stand.
SmartSelect_20200510-152608_Firefox.jpg

I have zero professional qualifications to discuss this issue, so with that in mind...I suspect the size of the canards (I believe that is the correct term, they are not wings because they do not provide aerodynamic lift) on the Starship tanker will be the same because the overall size of the vehicle will be the same. The canards will be used to help position the vehicle during re-entry.

Following up on my previous post, see Canard (aeronautics) - Wikipedia

Quote (I bonded certain words for emphasis): “...an aircraft designer may adopt the canard configuration to reduce the main wing loading, to better control the main wing airflow, or to increase the aircraft's maneuverability, especially at high angles of attack or during a stall.[6] Canard foreplanes, whether used in a canard or three-surface configuration, have important consequences on the aircraft's longitudinal equilibrium, static and dynamic stability characteristics.”

could the tanker version get by with smaller wings? I think this because it will have no return payload and less wing weight means more up mass.
Apologies if I misinterpreted your post: by “wings” were you referring to the fixed surfaces at the rear of the vehicle or the forward adjustable surfaces (the canards)? Or maybe both?

Reactions: Grendal
Yay! Let us not forget that Crew Demo-2 is not the only thing going on...

I mean an SN7 part was spotted. 7!

Does anyone know if SpaceX has confirmed their intention regarding next step for SN4 now that one or more static fire tests have
been successful? I.e. will they do a 200 M hop in the coming week or wait for SN5?

Also, has there been any info released on cause of fire 8 - 9 days ago and losing ability to safe the vehicle? Thanks.

@Bobfitz1 I am not aware of any announcements from SpaceX or Elon in the past week about SN4 or the cause of the fire during the third static test. Except for occasional tweets from Elon, the company doesn’t say anything about Starship development.
I mean an SN7 part was spotted. 7!
Who spotted SN7? BocaChicaGal?

There are so many Starships under construction I don’t know how anyone outside of SpaceX can be sure which is which...