Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Random observation: I have been playing with my Starship + Super Heavy in SR2, and I keep thinking to myself how I never use the sea-level Raptors on the Starship.
I have to remind myself that it is because I never attempt to land them on a body with an atmosphere just yet.

Yep, you lug three perfectly fine raptor engines around only for the sake of re-usability. I know there is more involved, but it shows the radical design decisions made here.

Random observation: I have been playing with my Starship + Super Heavy in SR2, and I keep thinking to myself how I never use the sea-level Raptors on the Starship.
I have to remind myself that it is because I never attempt to land them on a body with an atmosphere just yet.

Yep, you lug three perfectly fine raptor engines around only for the sake of re-usability. I know there is more involved, but it shows the radical design decisions made here.

They are are not only for reusability. I'm guessing you have not done a launch abort or engine failure scenario either.

Remember, you can use sea level engines in space (underexpanded, lower isp, but functional), but you can't as easily use vacuum engines in an atmosphere (overexpanded, flow instability).
Edit: the SS vac engines were adjusted to work at sea level per Oct Tweet
Also, we’re keeping area ratio low enough to fire Raptor Vac at sea level without flow separation, so that’s leaving a lot on the table

Plus, sea level engines are easier to package. One vacuum Merlin bell is the diameter of the Falcon 9. I'm also guessing your vacuum engines gimbal, which the Starship do not (at least as of this Tweet from May)
Yeah. Outer engines with much larger nozzles are fixed to airframe, inner engines have high gimbal range ~15 degrees

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc and ecarfan
They are are not only for reusability. I'm guessing you have not done a launch abort or engine failure scenario either.
Abort? “Where were going, we don’t need no...” lol

Remember, you can use sea level engines in space (underexpanded, lower isp, but functional), but you can't as easily use vacuum engines in an atmosphere (overexpanded, flow instability).
Edit: the SS vac engines were adjusted to work at sea level per Oct Tweet
Of course. I use them when I need a boost in LEO when my vacuums are not enough. But I assume SpaceX to fly without needing to fire them outside of contingencies and landings. Efficiency is king!

Plus, sea level engines are easier to package. One vacuum Merlin bell is the diameter of the Falcon 9...
Ya, you think? Heh

D0311D85-5750-45FE-BBC6-CBDF5C4E023C.png

(I know those fins are not right, work in progress)

New video from BocaChicaGal showing SN4 assembly. Lots of closeups of stuff that I cannot identify. Which is exciting! Also shows what appears to be pieces of the launch structure and maybe launch mounts (?) being unloaded. At 2:47 there is a shot of the upper tank dome piece with a large component mounted to the dome. My highly speculative WAG is that they are modified Model 3 battery packs. And at 5:35 there is an amusing sequence when that dome is about to be lowered onto the main tank section and there are guys on top of the main tank under the dome and I wondered how they were going to get out! It turns out there is a little door on the side of the tank.

Last edited:
At 2:47 there is a shot of the upper tank dome piece with a large component mounted to the dome. My highly speculative WAG is that they are modified Model 3 battery packs.

You might be on to something. The 'innie' curve at the corner of the thing is very reminiscent of a model S battery pack (Model 3 doesn't have the curves) and the lump on the top of the top pack (and on the bottom of the bottom "pack") looks suspiciously like the extra module lump at the front of the S pack.

upload_2020-4-13_15-41-6.png

https://057tech.com/pimages/packsolar.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: e-FTW
Okay, but I have a memory of Elon stating that they were using Model 3 packs. Maybe my memory is not accurate, it’s happened before...

Plenty of plausible "both are true" scenarios. Elon often says things that don't end up coming to fruition...context of the Elon statement was not this specific vehicle...model S battery pack turned out to be better...etc.

This makes lots of sense. Get the tanking down and get more than a hop out of a more realistic test article and then start thinking about the more advanced systems.

On a side note, the comparison with Tesla for Starship and Super Heavy is Full Self Driving. It's a major advance that takes a lot of time and effort to develop but once successful is utterly game changing.

Reactions: e-FTW
[Devil's advocate] They don't put expensive flaps actuators and TPS on SN4, because they don't want to blow those up ; P
They were using Tesla motors and gear boxes though.
I'd guess the sky diving doesn't happen till further down the test plan, so no need for those control surfaces on #4. Especially if the CG and mass are not correct on the early SNs.