Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh. Looks like it was unrelated to any active testing going on. Looks like something failed while it was just sitting there. Apparently they had done a static fire earlier in the day (as well as last night).

Quick disconnect popped out (like has happened before...) and check valve failed or they burst an actual fuel line, shows dangers working with cryogenic fuels. Good thing that they don't use composites or whole area would be now health hazard with tiny oxidized and fractionated carbon fibers.

Reactions: e-FTW and Grendal
LOL this Starship design is not going to work for human flight. It needs an escape capsule. Until it gets one this will be a cargo only rocket.

I'm the first person to call BS on the various ridiculous statements that come out of Elon regarding Starship and other ElonCo gizmos (technological roadmaps, timelines, etc.), but intimating that SpaceX doesn't know what its doing relative to proper human rating is a bit short sighted, eh?

LOL this Starship design is not going to work for human flight. It needs an escape capsule. Until it gets one this will be a cargo only rocket.

Of course it won't. That's why there's an SN5, SN6, and apparently an SN7 already being built. The design is being iterated before your eyes, at a pace that is astounding.

There might be an SN30 in a few months as SpaceX keeps going, learning as they go.

SN4 exploded today. Pretty spectacular. Ignition point appeared to be at the base of the vehicle. On to SN5!

Unfortunate it happened but that’s testing. Understand this was with the new engines.

If you scrub and start around 3:54:00+ they begin to comment on audio editing of the explosion sound from footage; and then around 4:00:00 video from several cameras and how the shockwave appears. 4:03:00 - pinpoints it.

screen grabs from the video analysis done by NASASpaceflight for those scrub challenged :p nice video editing they did with the live feed.

94EEE239-7F27-409F-93DF-4F48141FA6CE.jpeg

3DB48897-72AD-42F0-9BAE-B2C06C2C6E63.jpeg

E90AFADB-6E4C-40D1-A776-8D14FE16DCD3.jpeg

BTW the time stamp at the top of the frames is irrelevant and not indicative of the moment of the explosion.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmartElectric
Ugh. Looks like it was unrelated to any active testing going on. Looks like something failed while it was just sitting there. Apparently they had done a static fire earlier in the day (as well as last night).
According to Eric Berger the explosion occurred about one minute after the third static fire of the second Raptor installed on SN4 (the first Raptor installed on SN4 was static fired twice before being replaced with a different engine).

SpaceX’s Starship underwent a Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly—we do mean rapid

I would be interested to learn more about your aerospace and rocketry professional qualifications and experience. Until you provide them I will put my money on the SpaceX engineers; the people who actually are rocket scientists.

Reactions: SmartElectric

The Space Shuttle did not have an escape capsule or escape mechanism. Planes don't have them either. Both carried/carry passengers.

Let's keep this in perspective. These are testing prototypes. They are intentionally being tested to destruction. This is how the company learns. Exactly how they have done with the Falcon 9. It has launched and re-launched many times with very few anomalies proving SpaceX knows what they are doing. To expect perfection on a brand new concept and design immediately is faulty reasoning. I am certain they will improve and I am also certain there will be more RUDs before humans launch on a Starship.

Can you imagine what the two astronauts are thinking right now? :eek:

"I'm really glad SpaceX tests everything so well"
The Starship early prototype SN4 has nothing in common with F9 and Crew Dragon. So why would experienced astronauts, who understand what is going on, think anything bad about testing?

Last edited: