Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had relationships like that.
How many SNs will blow up before SpaceX starts to think that it's TOO many?
I understand pacy, iterative design as a concept but to put my question another way- how many iterations before SpaceX expects a SN NOT to fail testing? 10? 20? 60?
Recycle the stainless steel and the process looks not too bad :)

How many? As many as needed. These early tests are telling SpaceX how to build Starship correctly. It needs to be strong enough to do the things they want. SN7 is continuing pressure testing. They need the rocket to withstand the pressures and withstand the pressures under cryo temps. The next phase will be withstanding the pressures while actually launching and landing. They will have learned a lot from Starship development but then they need to take that information and knowledge and apply it to the Super Heavy booster.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
SN5 installed:
40EFB004-9DB6-40E9-8998-640AB1556942.jpeg

(c) NSF

And Mary's tweet
https://twitter.com/BocaChicaGal/status/1275819511363571716

We had that glorious cartoon posted not too long back, with a line of SNx's waiting to get onto the launch pad - anybody remember where that's from, or can point me to where that is in the thread?

The punchline being "at least the line is moving fast".

Now with SN7, I think we can add (SN5 to SN6) "hey - no cutting the line!"

Photo from new tweet by Elon: “”Two Starship tanks in the midbay”. Awesome image. I wonder what serial numbers these tanks are; maybe 5 and 6, with 5 now having been moved out to the test stand, as shown in the photo @HVM posted just upthread (we don’t know when this photo was taken, it could have been a few days ago).

So the term “midbay” apparently refers to the VAB where the Starship tank sections are assembled. It does not look tall enough to allow for the forward cargo/crew compartment nose section to be installed, but maybe it is? I wonder what SpaceX will call the VAB where the SH will be assembled? I’ve seen no photos showing that building is under construction. And will that VAB be tall enough to contain the complete vehicle? Exciting times!

5BCC56FB-CBF1-417E-B7EC-19C96F25B587.jpeg

Is that a mass simulator on top?

Good eye, yeah that's a mass sim. You can see the conical support structure poking above the top skirt (the upper-most stainless layer) that necks down from a gazillion meters in diameter to something more useable by the space industry, and then a cylinder on top of that representing how payloads typically interface to rockets. (Big payloads almost always have a circular interface) The mass sim block on top is probably just concrete or something like that. If I totally wag it at 10x10x5 feet, and of course assuming its actually concrete, and of course assuming my remedial math passes muster, that's 70k lb or so (or for those who don't need to visualize in Freedom Units, ~32T).

You can also get a rare glimpse of space qualified cardboard in the first pic.

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW