Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Raptor Plumbing Goodness:

1627665057440.png

Crashing SN9 is one thing, but losing nearly 30 raptors would be expensive in both time and money, as well as the loss of the main body - these things take time to assemble.
Well they recently completed the 100th raptor and are building a new facility for manufacturing them at McGregor (2-4 per day), so it's not much of a setback.
SpaceX CEO: Second McGregor factory will make 100s of rocket engines per year
Also, the first flight is intended to land at sea anyway.
SpaceX Starship: Map and schedule for Elon Musk’s ambitious orbital flight

BN4 is also the thicker (heavier) steel which may be thinned like the recent test tank.

A RUD at launch would be bad in term of collateral damage (and FAA investigation delays).

Probably why approvals are going to take some time. SpaceX clearly putting the pressure on, but still: imagine the shockwave just a launch will cause.
And well if it blows, I might feel it from here…
Launch will involve the generation of a lot of gas, and will be loud, but I'm not sure shockwave applies. It's approximately equivalent to 3 Falcon Heavys (28or33*0.5 million lb vs 5 milliion tons for FH). Since sound pressure falls off as the square of distance, that is like being 43% closer to an FH launch. Shuttle was a little under 7 million pounds of thrust, though I hear the SRBs were the main noise makers.

As long as the tanks don't cross leak, a RUD should 'only' be a conflagration which is just a big fire as opposed to a detonation which would occur if the oxygen and methane were premixed.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Well they recently completed the 100th raptor and are building a new facility for manufacturing them at McGregor (2-4 per day), so it's not much of a setback.
SpaceX CEO: Second McGregor factory will make 100s of rocket engines per year
Also, the first flight is intended to land at sea anyway.
SpaceX Starship: Map and schedule for Elon Musk’s ambitious orbital flight

BN4 is also the thicker (heavier) steel which may be thinned like the recent test tank.

A RUD at launch would be bad in term of collateral damage (and FAA investigation delays).
It will land in the sea for anyone not aware, too risky and loud to land at boca so they will actually land in the pacific quite a few miles off of Hawaii. Will be too deep to turn into a diving reef, oh well. In the future they'll launch and land from the oil platforms they are converting, those will be anchored offshore, far far offshore to keep noise pollution to a minimum. One positive is that freshly steamed fish will available to all platform workers, nice perk.

It will land in the sea for anyone not aware, too risky and loud to land at boca so they will actually land in the pacific quite a few miles off of Hawaii. Will be too deep to turn into a diving reef, oh well. In the future they'll launch and land from the oil platforms they are converting, those will be anchored offshore, far far offshore to keep noise pollution to a minimum. One positive is that freshly steamed fish will available to all platform workers, nice perk.
Yeah, Starship will set down off Hawaii (unless Elon's trip to Larry's island had another purpose). The booster will return to the gulf near Boca for its first attempt at a controlled hover/ landing.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
So, I saw the references to them attaching 29 engines in one night[1].

Is this in addition to the 3 center gimbaling engines for a total of 32?

[1] Which is amazing![2]
[2] I wonder if that includes getting them all plumbed up and wired?