Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Alexandria, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
....very little stock. Eden Prairie has been saying that since 2013. The bright side is that there is a Level 3 charger in Moorhead. If Tesla releases the CHAdeMO adapter for the Model 3 you could make the trip in one day without any additional Superchargers. Dickinson has a few die hard Tesla fans where you could charge up overnight. Still, I hope they’ll finally build out I94 this year.

Thanks for the feedback. Has there been any news on the CHAdeMO adapter availability? Thus far I've been route planning through Spearfish and east to MSP and would love to not extend my trip by the addtional 6 hours that this would require.

I'll be a little bummed out if it turns out that Eden Prairie was blowing smoke but I'm still very excited about my upcoming car delivery and will do what I need to do for the time being while I wait on Tesla to build out their network. <fingers crossed>

Just leased a long range 2019 X. 30 miles is 30 miles. Extend my day trips a bit.

based on experience North of you... that changes once the temperature hits freezing. At freezing, about 2x mileage. At -20C or about 0F, it becomes 3x; for city driving. Once you are on longer trips, and depending how much cabin heat you use, it can also be a lot less. Once the cabin and battery are warmed up, it uses much less than the worst case. Even at -20C I could get 249Wh/km and as low as 199 when doing highway travel.

A CHAdeMO adapter that was Model 3 compatible was briefly available on the Tesla site before it was taken down. Elon also just mentioned more adapters coming soon in the Investor annual meeting. I suspect it’ll be actually available very soon.
I think the situation is that there is and has always been one Chademo afapter, which has been available for Model S and X, but so far is software locked for Model 3. There was talk about unlocking Model 3's in Europe (and maybe Asia?), and the Tesla website erroneously listed it as available for North American 3's for a day or two.

At the conference last night, Elon said that there would be more adapter options available soon, so who knows what the future holds.

AFAIK, it's the same ole Chademo adapter. It is a software change on the Model 3's that will allow it to work for them...

based on experience North of you... that changes once the temperature hits freezing. At freezing, about 2x mileage. At -20C or about 0F, it becomes 3x; for city driving. Once you are on longer trips, and depending how much cabin heat you use, it can also be a lot less. Once the cabin and battery are warmed up, it uses much less than the worst case. Even at -20C I could get 249Wh/km and as low as 199 when doing highway travel.
Looking at more spring thru fall temps. Last winter I had a pic with a temp of -32F. Brutal

Moose Jaw Saskatchewan just popped up on the map as being under construction. I take this as a bit of a good sign that the northern plains will be getting some Superchargers soon.

The Moose Jaw video looks a bit suspicious. The number and size of conduits looks a bit off, and that "transformer" has a manhole cover. It doesn't look right. I added a comment to that thread and will see what they say.

Whatever the case, Tesla could easily complete the entire Trans-Canada highway before they bother with I-94. As far as I am concerned, the blue permit dots on Supercharge.info could be deleted. It has been more than a year, and there is no activity.

Reactions: XHabjab
Looking at more spring thru fall temps. Last winter I had a pic with a temp of -32F. Brutal

Pah! North of you, a temp is noteworthy only if it hits -40C. or maybe it was -40F.
Temps in the minus 30's were typical last winter commuting in my AWD-3. 25km round trip and 8 hours sitting outside could use 75km to 100km of battery. Fortunately I had an insulated (but not heated) garage for overnight charging.

Moose Jaw Saskatchewan just popped up on the map as being under construction. I take this as a bit of a good sign that the northern plains will be getting some Superchargers soon.

There's also the possibility that Elon said "make it happen at least one place" because he said at the Y roll-out that Saskatchewan installation was in progress.

I'll re-iterate... the Buffalo NY factory has had a V3 Suprcharger assembly line set up, but due to the lack of installs, I would say it's not really producing yet. Tesla has also said V3's are for long distance, so logically interstates and Trans-Canada in sparsely populated areas would be a good choice. So we'll know when we start to see multiple V3's being installed all over that Buffalo is up and running.

Pah! North of you, a temp is noteworthy only if it hits -40C. or maybe it was -40F.
Temps in the minus 30's were typical last winter commuting in my AWD-3. 25km round trip and 8 hours sitting outside could use 75km to 100km of battery. Fortunately I had an insulated (but not heated) garage for overnight charging.

There's also the possibility that Elon said "make it happen at least one place" because he said at the Y roll-out that Saskatchewan installation was in progress.

I'll re-iterate... the Buffalo NY factory has had a V3 Suprcharger assembly line set up, but due to the lack of installs, I would say it's not really producing yet. Tesla has also said V3's are for long distance, so logically interstates and Trans-Canada in sparsely populated areas would be a good choice. So we'll know when we start to see multiple V3's being installed all over that Buffalo is up and running.
... and I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I suspect that one of Saskatchewan, Manitoba or North Dakota will be the first state/province to be 100% V3. I'm sure there will be a party over that. Maybe a web or magazine article.

Reactions: HookBill
....very little stock. Eden Prairie has been saying that since 2013. The bright side is that there is a Level 3 charger in Moorhead. If Tesla releases the CHAdeMO adapter for the Model 3 you could make the trip in one day without any additional Superchargers. Dickinson has a few die hard Tesla fans where you could charge up overnight. Still, I hope they’ll finally build out I94 this year.

Where is this level 3 charger in Moorhead?

Thanks for the feedback. Has there been any news on the CHAdeMO adapter availability? Thus far I've been route planning through Spearfish and east to MSP and would love to not extend my trip by the addtional 6 hours that this would require.

I'll be a little bummed out if it turns out that Eden Prairie was blowing smoke but I'm still very excited about my upcoming car delivery and will do what I need to do for the time being while I wait on Tesla to build out their network. <fingers crossed>

If your commuting weekly to Dickenson, I hope you didn’t choose a White model 3. That is Bug cake city along that drive. You should at a minimum get a paint protection film put on the front end.

If your commuting weekly to Dickenson, I hope you didn’t choose a White model 3. That is Bug cake city along that drive. You should at a minimum get a paint protection film put on the front end.

I definitely did get a white model 3, and the bugs are in great form this year. I've been looking into options for paint protection, as other colors of paint + scoria dust don't mix very well in my experience.

It's nearly the end of June and no movement at this or any I-94 planned supercharger location. To me, either it'll be pushed out another year or Tesla is waiting for more V3's to be complete. What's the consensus - 2020/2021/2022... or V3s?

It's nearly the end of June and no movement at this or any I-94 planned supercharger location. To me, either it'll be pushed out another year or Tesla is waiting for more V3's to be complete. What's the consensus - 2020/2021/2022... or V3s?

Of course, they can always delay again, but based on the latest communication utility had with Tesla, Tesla indicated they would begin 19Q3 instead of the original 19Q2, as was noted in the material within the city minutes. So the odds anyway would favor construction still this year, and not future years.

Look at the setup for Moose Jaw in the Canada threads. It looks somewhat different, extra pads set up behind the charger posts. Speculating this may be what V3 chargers layout will look like? (Elon promised in the Y unveiling that Saskatchewan was under construction. Hence 1 lone charger too far from anything else to be useful yet. )