Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Alexandria, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased an adapter last year. Charged up the MX in Morris MN. Took about 1.75 Hrs. to charge up 100KW batt. So the DCFC is alot faster than a level 2. Just not as fast as SC

Which specific adapter - CCS? ChaDemo? Is this the one with the the inverted mickey mouse ears shaped plug? How does it work - does it appear to contain active electronics, or simply a physical adapter of the wires from one plug shape to the other?

Last edited:
Which specific adapter - CCS? ChaDemo? Is this the one with the the inverted mickey mouse ears shaped plug? How does it work - does it appear to contain active electronics, or simply a physical adapter of the wires from one plug shape to the other?

It would have been the Chademo adapter (large round plug). There is no current adapter for CCS => North American Tesla plugs.

I really could have used this Supercharger yesterday. Drove Minneapolis to Fargo. Stopped in Clearwater and should have charged longer. After Clearwater rain and wind forced me to slow down to a painful 64 and at times the car said we would not make it without charging. Thankfully the rain and wind died and weather warmed up some. Ended up not having to stop in Alexandria and use a Level 2 charger.

Reactions: lightfoot3b
ChaDemo. Tesla sold them for $250 as I remember. It was a female ChaDemo end that was attached to the charger cord. A few feet of cord, and a regular Tesla plug that goes in the car. CHAdeMO Adapter Looks like the price has gone up a bit.

ChaDemo. Tesla sold them for $250 as I remember. It was a female ChaDemo end that was attached to the charger cord. A few feet of cord, and a regular Tesla plug that goes in the car. CHAdeMO Adapter Looks like the price has gone up a bit.
I don't recall it ever being anything but $450. I think ChaDemo will also see less and less installation with CCS becoming more and more adopted by non Tesla EVs and Tesla having a new adapter for it (unavailable right now).

Reactions: Thumper
Stopped and checked the Target parking lot and there is definitely still nothing going on. Maybe it's the same group of people that are working on the Robbinsdale supercharger so they won't start until that's done? In any case I hope they starts soon.

Stopped and checked the Target parking lot and there is definitely still nothing going on. Maybe it's the same group of people that are working on the Robbinsdale supercharger so they won't start until that's done? In any case I hope they starts soon.
One of the workers at Robbinsdale didn’t know anything about Alex or Fargo so I doubt it’s the same crew.

“dirty” power concerns (not sure what they mean by this).
I believe they are talking about getting electrical service that has stable voltage and frequency within the required/expected/allowed ranges. Due to the size and nature of their load, this can be a challenge for the local electrical grid depending on the exact location. Though, since superchargers are on 3-phase power, I don't think that frequency concerns should be so much of an issue.

caveat: I'm not a professional in this area.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ConcordeSST
Allegedly the Buffalo (NY) factory is (is being? will be?) set up to produce V3 chargers. So we should expect them to start appearing in decent numbers shortly. Elon did say recently they were planning to use the V3's for the long-distance routes. You don't get any more long-distance than driving out west.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Was at the Eden Prairie location this weekend to pull the trigger on my M3 purchase. Was told that I-94 would be complete this summer with V3 chargers. Not sure if it was smoke to help me along with my purchase decision as I make the commute from St. Paul to Dickinson weekly and expressed reticence about purchasing without the SC network finished.

Not sure how much stock to place in this but the sales associate appeared very certain that things were progressing internally to make this happen.

On a side note - as I drive the route every week in my ICE if anyone needs any progress checks let me know - I visit the Bismarck/Fargo/Jamestown location fairly regularly and am invested in the outcome now that my M3 is on preorder.

Not sure how much stock to place in this but the sales associate appeared very certain that things were progressing internally to make this happen.
....very little stock. Eden Prairie has been saying that since 2013. The bright side is that there is a Level 3 charger in Moorhead. If Tesla releases the CHAdeMO adapter for the Model 3 you could make the trip in one day without any additional Superchargers. Dickinson has a few die hard Tesla fans where you could charge up overnight. Still, I hope they’ll finally build out I94 this year.

Reactions: chwall P90DL
I believe they are talking about getting electrical service that has stable voltage and frequency within the required/expected/allowed ranges. Due to the size and nature of their load, this can be a challenge for the local electrical grid depending on the exact location. Though, since superchargers are on 3-phase power, I don't think that frequency concerns should be so much of an issue.

caveat: I'm not a professional in this area.
This was discussed last September back here...

FWIW, frequency would not be a problem. It will be pretty much 60.000 Hz (but with odd harmonics). Variations in voltage and noise on the line (odd harmonics) can be hard to deal with.

Last edited: