Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger and Service center: Houston, Texas @ Airtex Industrial Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am planning a trip from San Antonio to New Orleans, I am going to stop at the Columbus supercharger, then planned to go to the new Houston supercharger/service center, then the Lake Charles supercharger. I'm not very familiar with Houston. EV Trip Planner is suggesting a route off of IH-10 to the Texas 8 Beltway. I understand this is a toll road. I have a TxTag account that I've used in Austin, but it seems like this toll road might require a different account for EZ Tag.

Some questions:

* Do I need an EZ Tag account?
* Can EZ Tag read my plate and bill me similar to how TxTag does (I don't have the tag on my windshield; I just let the camera read my plate)?
* Is it better to skip Texas 8 Beltway and take I-45 instead (which is not a toll road)?
* Traffic less on one or the other?
* I don't see any eating options at the Houston supercharger according to the Tesla Motors website. Just confirming so I can plan ahead.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

Regards, Ben

Last edited:
Hello,

I am planning a trip from San Antonio to New Orleans, I am going to stop at the Columbus supercharger, then planned to go to the new Houston supercharger/service center, then the Lake Charles supercharger. I'm not very familiar with Houston. EV Trip Planner is suggesting a route off of IH-10 to the Texas 8 Beltway. I understand this is a toll road. I have a TxTag account that I've used in Austin, but it seems like this toll road might require a different account for EZ Tag.

Some questions:

* Do I need an EZ Tag account?
* Can EZ Tag read my plate and bill me similar to how TxTag does (I don't have the tag on my windshield; I just let the camera read my plate)?
* Is it better to skip Texas 8 Beltway and take I-45 instead (which is not a toll road)?
* Traffic less on one or the other?
* I don't see any eating options at the Houston supercharger according to the Tesla Motors website. Just confirming so I can plan ahead.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

Regards, Ben
I can answer the first two questions (I'm in Austin).
1. No
2. Yes, if your plate is registered. See: TxTag allows use of EZ Tag toll road lanes but license plates can cause glitch | abc13.com

John

I can answer the first two questions (I'm in Austin).
1. No
2. Yes, if your plate is registered. See: TxTag allows use of EZ Tag toll road lanes but license plates can cause glitch | abc13.com

John

Thank you for your responses John! I found that link quite helpful. I do have my license plate registered with TxTag so theoretically I should be fine but I do read stories of people still getting fines for some reason or another. I also found the following on the TxTag FAQ (https://www.txtag.org/en/about/faq_about.shtml):

Can I use my Dallas TollTag or Houston EZ TAG in TxTag lanes?
Yes. Dallas TollTags and Houston EZ TAGs work in toll lanes that display the TxTag logo throughout the state. Be sure your account information is up to date with your tolling agency to avoid potential fees.

What a beautiful facility in North Houston. Charged there from my Dallas trip yesterday. Wonderful lounge with drinks and snacks and a very friendly and helpful staff if you have any questions while you browse around.
The Lounge is still only during business hours but the said this "fall" the keypad will be installed that ties to your app for the code for 24 hour access. Maybe late September. But chargers are still available 7/24

Anybody used this one lately. For the last 2 weeks or so, the Navigation map has been reporting it with 'Reduced Service'. I think it was a little iffy a week prior to that. If your alternatives are a 30 kW public charger, the site would have to be extremely reduced to make it not worthwhile to get a charge there.

I was there a couple of weeks ago for a service appointment. The navigation showed "reduced service" as well, but there was nothing wrong with it. I was able to charge up without any problems.

Well I'm charging here now (March 13) and it is still having issues. When 1st plunging in it ramps up to 90+kw but then settles down to about 38kw. Actually I take back the word settles. It's all over the place for 10 mins plus before it settles. It has nothing to do with my SOC as I'm in the range that my 70 should take 90 plus kw. Tried all three "pairs" and same results.
I've been watching this SuC for over a month (prior to this trip) and its shown "reduced service" for at least that long.