Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Atascadero, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone stayed at the Rancho Tee motel across the street?

Reviving this old thread: regarding where to stay in Atascadero that is convenient to the Supercharger, I have stayed twice at the Carlton Hotel at the corner of El Camino Real and Traffic Way very close to the freeway exit you take to get to the Supercharger. You can walk to that hotel in less than 5 minutes from the Supercharger. It's so close I have even left my S at the Supercharger overnight, never saw another Tesla. This Supercharger seems to get little use, though I'm sure in a few years that will change.

And there is a neat little restaurant called "Fig Good Food" next to the hotel on Traffic Way.

All in all a nice place to stop overnight if you want to break up the trip between SF and LA using the 101.

It is odd that the Atascadero and Buelton Superchargers are so close together, only 80 miles.

Hit up Atascadero twice this weekend on a trip up/down the coast. Both times it was completely empty. Hard to spot from the street but it's at the RABOBANK. There's a Starbucks 1 block away.
IMG_4735.JPG

Sunday afternoon at the end of a holiday weekend (I know, I know...), waiting to charge at Atascadero. The line seemed to be holding steady at 5 cars, with a 30-40 minute wait time.

6MUAkNV.jpg

The apparently empty stall, 2A, is actually out of service with a defective handle that can't make a connection. I had reported this yesterday (Saturday) to both Tesla and Solar City, whose number is posted on the charger as the one to call for maintenance issues. It didn't help matters that the person who answered the phone at Solar City seemed to have absolutely no clue what a Tesla Supercharger was; she put me on hold and left me there until I finally had to hang up.

On the return trip this afternoon (Sunday), the charger was still out of service and another driver who had just tried it was standing there on the phone, also on hold with Solar City.

Sunday afternoon at the end of a holiday weekend (I know, I know...), waiting to charge at Atascadero. The line seemed to be holding steady at 5 cars, with a 30-40 minute wait time.

6MUAkNV.jpg

The apparently empty stall, 2A, is actually out of service with a defective handle that can't make a connection. I had reported this yesterday (Saturday) to both Tesla and Solar City, whose number is posted on the charger as the one to call for maintenance issues. It didn't help matters that the person who answered the phone at Solar City seemed to have absolutely no clue what a Tesla Supercharger was; she put me on hold and left me there until I finally had to hang up.

On the return trip this afternoon (Sunday), the charger was still out of service and another driver who had just tried it was standing there on the phone, also on hold with Solar City.

Wow. Longest I ever had to wait was 15 minutes in Fremont. Other than that a few 2 to 3 minute waits but mostly never had to wait for a charger. If that'd happened on our trip to Moro Bay, my wife would have called the entire thing a failure and would insist on taking ICE's from now on. We just finished a 1600 mile round trip to Arizona(phoenix and the Grand Canyon) and never had to wait for an SC and always got full charge rate every time.

This past Saturday afternoon, Dec 13 and Monday, Dec 15, I was the only Models S arriving in Atascadero while traveling up and down the 101. There is a Dennys next door and chain fast food across the street. But I ventured "downtown" and tried 2 locally owned restaurants on these trips - both are about a 5 minute walk to the north:

1) Sylvester's Burgers - a yummy old school local burger joint. You can't miss the screamin' yellow building on El Camino Real. Country music inside and picnic tables outside. The burger and chocolate malt were both fresh and delicious. You'll want extra napkins.
2) The Fig Cafe - tucked away behind the Carlton Hotel on Traffic Way is this quaint little local cafe. I chose their salad special of the day made with fresh local greens and tender pork strips. They've got vegan options and specialize in pasta as well. Nice people working here with delicious healthy food.

Hope that helps.
Cheers!

Full today and consistently a couple of cars waiting. I weigh a suspicious eye on the white X that was there when I came and there when I left an hour later. No sign of the owner.

As far as restaurant tips go, you can't go wrong with Que Pasa! next to the movie theatre across the road from the chargers.

Reactions: apacheguy
I am at the Arastedero Supercharger right now. The charging cables are being replaced with the newer style (no physical button in the handle, just the area where you press). I asked the person replacing the cables if the new cables would allow faster charging or were more reliable, or something else. He said he couldn't answer because his answer would just be a guess. Then he said that there had been reports of problems at this location and the new cables could be a response to those reports. He could not be more specific than that.

It seems possible that the "problems" he referred to were the slow charging rates being discussed in another thread (see Some California Superchargers not providing maximum charging rates) and the new cables were a solution. That is only speculation on my part, the person I spoke to did not say that specifically.

I also noticed this new style cable at the Gilroy Supercharger yesterday.

Right now my S is charging at a normal rate for a low state of charge, meaning well over 300 mi/hr and over 200A.