Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Austin, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AndrewTX,
I did not see any transformer activity.
I think I got bad info about the transformer install.
I got that info from another tesla owner and now I think he was confused.
Mea Culpa for passing along what now appears to be a rumor, or at least a misunderstanding.
Lots of other 'punch list', finishing touches etc. going on.

I was at the Austin service center today and I was chatting with the tech about the Austin supercharger. He told me that there was a second Austin supercharger location downtown and to check the tesla supercharger 2017 map. I checked, and sure enough, there is a second downtown location planned in gray on the map. Anyone know anything about this? He said it was off i35 downtown.

I was at the Austin service center today and I was chatting with the tech about the Austin supercharger. He told me that there was a second Austin supercharger location downtown and to check the tesla supercharger 2017 map. I checked, and sure enough, there is a second downtown location planned in gray on the map. Anyone know anything about this? He said it was off i35 downtown.
I guess they're both off I35. I thought originally they were planning one near the service center but it seems to have moved. Makes me cringe, thinking of a supercharger in that part of town. Worst traffic in a town designed to have bad traffic.

Seems odd to have two superchargers along the same route that close together, but maybe that's the approach they're taking for all the impending model 3s.

Agreed. The Supercharger being built is most likely the one that's currently indicated in the downtown center right now. That location is just a placeholder in every other municipality we've seen.
No. The map clearly shows two planned superchargers for Austin. One is labeled Austin-North Loop and that is the one almost finished construction. The other is labeled Austin-Downtown. All of the major Texas cities are getting urban superchargers for apartment/condo dwellers. The North Loop one is more for I-35 traffic though some locals will use it.

Here are a couple of images of the Austin super charger as of Friday afternoon August 25 th.
All the Tesla work appears to be complete but no transformer or meter as yet.
Note the Clipper Creek pedestal on the right (south end).
That's a first as far as I know.
P1290439.JPG
P1290451.JPG

I just charged at Rancho Cucamonga, CA yesterday and saw two Clipper Creek J1772s next to the superchargers. It's probably a condition for allowing Tesla to install their proprietary charging stations.

Until the crowd at Barstow, I saw only 3 Teslas total at 10 superchargers between Austin and California.

QUOTE="mkjayakumar, post: 2276217, member: 10254"]I thought it is funny that the Clipper Creek charger has the audacity to say 'High Power' standing right next to Tesla superchargers :)[/QUOTE]
Well, it is faster than 110. What is this Clipper Creek? I wouldn't be surprised if they partnered with Tesla based on their main web page.
clippercreek.JPG

I thought it is funny that the Clipper Creek charger has the audacity to say 'High Power' standing right next to Tesla superchargers :)

I installed one of those at home 3 years ago when I bought my first EV. It now does double duty with the addition of my 100D. For home use 12kw is all the power you will ever need. They are very sturdy, probably why it was chosen.

All new homes should come with one installed.:)

EVSE Review: ClipperCreek HCS-60 | ClipperCreek

I wonder if this Clipper is free - I don't see any payment system in those photos. IIRC Clipper is what's in Fredericksburg, that one gives 48A - it uses MobileNow for payment.

Curious what people think when they see this dinky charger next to the line of Tesla Superchargers. Good marketing for Tesla?

I wonder if this Clipper is free - I don't see any payment system in those photos. IIRC Clipper is what's in Fredericksburg, that one gives 48A - it uses MobileNow for payment.

Curious what people think when they see this dinky charger next to the line of Tesla Superchargers. Good marketing for Tesla?

I believe it's normal for Tesla destination charging locations to include Clipper Creek J1772 units. For example a hotel with destination charging might have 2 or 3 Tesla HPWC's and 1 or 2 Clipper Creek HCS's. These are generally available under the same terms, at the discretion of the property owner (generally "customers only.") Neither the Tesla nor the Clipper Creek units will have any integrated payment system per se but they might require the hotel front desk to unlock something.

The Fredericksburg location isn't Tesla-provided destination charging. A group of Tesla owners in central Texas worked with the city of Fredericksburg to come up with that arrangement. I believe the story is somewhere on TMC.