Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Austin, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a city like Austin, where you can buy electricity generated by 100% renewable means (Austin Energy's Green Choice program), does Tesla pay the extra couple of cents per kWh for their superchargers?
You're not really buying renewable energy. The electrons flowing to your house don't know how they were generated and they're all mixed together. You're just paying more to offset the higher cost incurred by Austin Energy in buying renewable energy.

You're not really buying renewable energy. The electrons flowing to your house don't know how they were generated and they're all mixed together. You're just paying more to offset the higher cost incurred by Austin Energy in buying renewable energy.
I understand that you're not getting specially ear-marked electrons from the windmills in west Texas. Even if you could do that, it would take forever for those lazy electrons to wiggle their way from the windmill to Austin. You are, however, paying to change the mix of electrical producers on the ERCOT grid and reduce its total GHG emissions. This is on the Austin Energy website, "All public EV charging in Austin is powered by 100% renewable Texas wind through Austin Energy’s GreenChoice® program." I'm asking if Tesla does the same thing when possible.

This argument always perplexes me. A very similar argument is used when discussing whether one can say their rooftop solar charges their car if indeed they charge from the grid. Energy is fungible.

Do people who have this hang-up also have a really hard time at ATMs? "Wait a gosh darn second! This isn't the $20 bill I deposited three years ago."

This argument always perplexes me. A very similar argument is used when discussing whether one can say their rooftop solar charges their car if indeed they charge from the grid. Energy is fungible.

Do people who have this hang-up also have a really hard time at ATMs? "Wait a gosh darn second! This isn't the $20 bill I deposited three years ago."
Then there are those from the truly ancient days when the first ATM, from Barclays Bank, conceived by De La Rue of banknote printing fame actually started working in 1967:
Cash machines | Barclays Group Archives
Fungible, yes.

Getting close.
Still need a transformer, wiring, stripes, lighting, landscaping, inspections, meter ...

IMG_0598.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0604.JPG
IMG_0592.JPG

I understand that you're not getting specially ear-marked electrons from the windmills in west Texas. Even if you could do that, it would take forever for those lazy electrons to wiggle their way from the windmill to Austin. You are, however, paying to change the mix of electrical producers on the ERCOT grid and reduce its total GHG emissions. This is on the Austin Energy website, "All public EV charging in Austin is powered by 100% renewable Texas wind through Austin Energy’s GreenChoice® program." I'm asking if Tesla does the same thing when possible.

From that AEP quote I would assume that the Superchargers are indeed paying for wind-generated energy. I am skeptical that Tesla would spend time or additional money trying to ensure that for SC's in other locations. Seems like a question that Musk may answer on Twitter.

From that AEP quote I would assume that the Superchargers are indeed paying for wind-generated energy. I am skeptical that Tesla would spend time or additional money trying to ensure that for SC's in other locations. Seems like a question that Musk may answer on Twitter.
The Austin Energy site is referring to its "plug-in anywhere" program of ChargePoint J1772s which costs $25 per six months unlimited use. The quote pre-dates Tesla's supercharger by several years. It's not referring to Tesla charging at all.

Austin Energy is scheduled to install the transformer tomorrow.
I ran into the contractor that is responsible for setting the meter a week of so back
and he said that he would wait until Austin Energy had installed their transformer
to set the meter. They generally move pretty quickly once they have the go ahead.

Reactions: CarlS and AndrewTX