TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Supercharger - Beckley, WV

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by emupilot, Jun 29, 2017.

1. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

Since there are a bunch of Sheetz locations getting superchargers, I called a couple in the area of Beckley WV which has a Coming Soon pin on the Tesla Find Us page. The supercharger will be at a location in Mt Hope, just north of Beckley and several miles north of the I-64/I-77 interchange. The person I talked to said he had seen the blueprints but construction had not started yet.

Sheetz
    5481 Robert C Byrd Drive
    Mount Hope, WV 25880

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 4
  2. tfloyd

tfloyd Member

I was about to start looking in that area to locate the charger. I'll stop by one day soon and look at the location. It's been about 1yr since I have been at that location. US 19 is a toll road through there.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

#3 Drucifer, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Well, happy to see Beckley on the map, but this location is a bit out of the way for my Charlotte -> Showshoe ski trip. Last time, after Wytheville, I needed to make a precautionary HPWC stop at the Greenbrier because the car was showing arrival at Snowshoe with under 4% SOC and that's a lot of uphill going there.

Still, it is a supercharger and it is no more out of the way than the Greenbrier (White Sulphur Springs) is...and I will be able to skip Wytheville going north (maybe) and skip Beckley going south (definitely).

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Well, it had to come and it looks like a good location.

Someone recently posted asking about Superchargers on the Wytheville, VA to Pittsburgh, PA route and this is the 3rd location for that route, with Weston, WV and Morgantown, WV under construction.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

Yep. Guilty of being "someone". Can't blame me for wanting every location to work best for *me*...lol.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Beckley, WV

Interstates: I-64/I-77*
    US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-19

I-64:
    To: Lexington, VA - 123 miles
    Diversion: -2.3 miles**
    To: Charlottesville, VA - 190 miles

I-77:
    To: Charleston, WV - 56.1 miles
    Diversion: 3.5 miles
    To: Cambridge, OH - 187 miles

To: Weston, WV (US-19,I-79,US-48) - 109 miles

Good sign that it's really helping to complete an area is that there are so few direct routes to other Superchargers. It splits:
    Charleston, WV to Lexington, VA
    Wytheville, VA to Charleston, WV
    Wytheville, VA to Weston, WV.

* I-64 and I-77 are concurrent
    ** Exit and re-entry to I-64 are in different locations and it leads to a more direct route, cutting out a bit of looping Interstate.
    *** Don't know if Statesville, NC's actually going to be built.

• Like x 1
  7. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Awesome. I knew putting someone from the midwest on the supercharger team was a good idea....

8. tfloyd

tfloyd Member

IMG_0351.JPG I just stopped by and it appears that it will be on the drive through side of Sheetz. There is a fence up around the area where the chargers will be. There is an existing transformer on the other side of the drive through lane. Getting to this location also requires getting off of 77 on to us 19 and paying a 40 cent toll.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. supratachophobia

Ouch. It's worth it I guess. About how long does it take to exit and start charging do you think?

10. Acps110

Acps110 Member

The Sheetz is 3-5 minutes off of I-77 / I-64. It is not a long diversion.

11. supratachophobia

But still 40 cents right?

• Funny x 2
  12. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

Is this like TX, where if I don't have the right tag then the 40 cents turns into 14 dollars?

• Informative x 1
  13. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

No, just 40 cents.

• Helpful x 1
  14. theflyer

theflyer Member

Stopped by today and the construction company was onsite doing final survey work. Great guys. This is their second Supercharger project. They just finished the installation in Morgantown.

They said construction will start next week and confirmed there will be eight superchargers. They have to install a transformer and it will go where the white stake is in my photo. They said the wire runs are long and reasonably complex so surprises aren't out of the question. Their crew will stay in town, so progress should come quick once they begin.

They hadn't seen a Model S up and close so showed them around Lenny. Frunk, Sub-trunk, summon mode, AP1 hardware, the big screen, and more. Really enjoyed chatting with them.

IMG_20170727_090947.jpg IMG_20170727_090458.jpg IMG_20170727_090558.jpg PANO_20170727_090701.jpg

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 2
  15. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

Having lived with my Model S for a while, I'm surprised at the number of people who still come up to me and say "I've never seen one up close before."

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. Darren Schilberg

Same status as July 27 pics by theflyer

IMG_20170817_191238-499x374.jpg

• Informative x 2
  17. theflyer

theflyer Member

I disagree. There has definitely been some work done. The photo is pretty fuzzy, but it appears the ground within the fence has been dug up, which was not the case when I was there. It doesn't look like much progress, but it at least indicates the construction phase of under way.

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Definitely looks like work. Initial work is digging and conduit. The way it's fenced off, it looks like it'll be nicely self-contained, with everything in the cage and no work needed on the parking lot.

19. Darren Schilberg

Ok, not-as-much-active-work-being-performed as Weston then. No construction equipment, no cabinets or hardware, no conduit, etc. Just some water-filled holes so not 'same' status but I meant to say 'similar' status.

I have other photos but didn't want to attach the full size image. Here is a view of the digging.

IMG_20170817_191414-499x374.jpg

• Informative x 1
  20. WVhybrid

WVhybrid Member

I think if you have an EZ-Pass you will avoid the 40 cent extra toll. Plus the $6.00 Charleston to Virginia toll is reduced to $4.05.