Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Boulder, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No shortage of Teslas in Boulder this afternoon. (There were two others I didn't get in the picture.) I think there was some demand for the Boulder Supercharger Station!

0602181544.jpg 0602181544.jpg

Reactions: MountainRoad
No shortage of Teslas in Boulder this afternoon. (There were two others I didn't get in the picture.) I think there was some demand for the Boulder Supercharger Station![
What time were you there? I was there about 12:30 and there were 2 other MS's besides me, around the far side of your pic, and none on the near side of your pic.

I had a little trouble finding it, as it didn't show up on the SC list on the map.

What time were you there? I was there about 12:30 and there were 2 other MS's besides me, around the far side of your pic, and none on the near side of your pic.

I had a little trouble finding it, as it didn't show up on the SC list on the map.
Address is in the permit. Rookie mistake:)
Saw no cars between midnight and 6 am. Nice that they left the port-a-potty behind!

Address is in the permit. Rookie mistake:)
Saw no cars between midnight and 6 am. Nice that they left the port-a-potty behind!

Rookie at SCing, absolutely! It's been 3+ years and I still haven't tagged the Denver SC by the airport :) Whenever I'm in that area, it's either on the way to or from DEN. So, I either don't want to waste time on the way there and risk missing a flight, or I'm anxious to get home after a trip, so I just never stopped there.

I found Boulder by knowing it was across the street from Trader Joes, from the guys who posted pics in this thread.

My picture was taken at about 3:35 PM. I used navigation to find the site and it worked well ("navigate to Boulder Supercharger Station"). However, I am familiar with Boulder so I knew where it was from this thread. It was on the map for me -- I drove there directly from Poncha Springs Supercharger Station.

If it isn't in the Tesla nav yet, there's a good chance you got routed to the Google POI for the supercharger - these can effectively be created by anyone - handy, except often people create them when they aren't open yet :-/
I'm pretty sure you are correct. I checked yesterday and the official Tesla icon was still not there but I was able navigate to it anyway.

In contrast to Saturday afternoon when there were six cars charging, I had the Boulder Supercharger Station to myself at 7:30 AM Monday morning:

Supercharging at Boulder2032sf 6-4-18.jpg

Last edited:
Tesla technician was at the Boulder Supercharger today doing some work to upgrade the chargers to allow up to 245 KW. Not V3, but still exciting that we are getting the promised improvement to V2 Superchargers. I hadn’t realized that it would require physical upgrades, but the technician appeared to be at least taking the covers off of each individual stall/charger to do the upgrade.

Tesla technician was at the Boulder Supercharger today doing some work to upgrade the chargers to allow up to [145] KW. Not V3, but still exciting that we are getting the promised improvement to V2 Superchargers. I hadn’t realized that it would require physical upgrades, but the technician appeared to be at least taking the covers off of each individual stall/charger to do the upgrade.

Can someone test this on a low battery to see if they get the new 145 kW charge rate?

Tesla technician was at the Boulder Supercharger today doing some work to upgrade the chargers to allow up to 245 KW. Not V3, but still exciting that we are getting the promised improvement to V2 Superchargers. I hadn’t realized that it would require physical upgrades, but the technician appeared to be at least taking the covers off of each individual stall/charger to do the upgrade.

When I was in Florida last week I specifically asked the Tesla Supercharger Tech about whether the V2 stalls need to have a "hardware upgrade" in order for them to output more power. He told me that was not the case, and that instead there would be an update sent out to the cars (that can handle it). Seems like Tesla is concerned with the early 2012 version of the cars, but most others should be fine.

For the record, Tesla does do periodic and proactive maintenance on the SC network. The guy I talked to in Florida was replacing charging cables...which required him to open up several of the SC cabinets.

When I was in Florida last week I specifically asked the Tesla Supercharger Tech about whether the V2 stalls need to have a "hardware upgrade" in order for them to output more power. He told me that was not the case, and that instead there would be an update sent out to the cars (that can handle it). Seems like Tesla is concerned with the early 2012 version of the cars, but most others should be fine.

For the record, Tesla does do periodic and proactive maintenance on the SC network. The guy I talked to in Florida was replacing charging cables...which required him to open up several of the SC cabinets.
They may feel that a site visit/inspection and doing some preventative maintenance is prudent before upping the power at a given location. So, while no actual hardware changes are needed to support 145 kW, it could still sound like it depending on how precisely/imprecisely a Tesla rep is speaking when answering questions.

Time of use pricing comes to Boulder:
View attachment 589979
Interesting. I'm now seeing it in the 3 but not on the S (with free Supercharging). I guess that makes sense.

I see Lone Tree and Denver have it as well.

I see the rates are different between Centennial (v3) and Lone Tree (v2). I guess the prices could just be due to location. I see they vary from supercharger to supercharger across the state. I remember when they were all the same price...or free for all.

Interesting. I'm now seeing it in the 3 but not on the S (with free Supercharging). I guess that makes sense.

I see Lone Tree and Denver have it as well.

I see the rates are different between Centennial (v3) and Lone Tree (v2). I guess the prices could just be due to location. I see they vary from supercharger to supercharger across the state. I remember when they were all the same price...or free for all.

Supposedly Tesla isn't profiting from the rates (or maybe not much). Guessing rates change because utility changes price.

Supposedly Tesla isn't profiting from the rates (or maybe not much). Guessing rates change because utility changes price.
That may be but I wonder if Tesla could be using the pricing to deter locals from charging during the peak pricing hours, when that station tends to be crowded, IME?

I wonder if the pricing will be the same at Superior? Not that it will matter to me, having FUSC.

That may be but I wonder if Tesla could be using the pricing to deter locals from charging during the peak pricing hours, when that station tends to be crowded, IME?

I wonder if the pricing will be the same at Superior? Not that it will matter to me, having FUSC.
They're doing it in all sorts of different jurisdictions, so I think it's safe to say that it's an attempt to "train" locals not to crowd the superchargers at peak hours. If you're travelling through, you'll probably be more than willing to pay the higher rate, or it might convince you to choose another nearby location.

Overall, I think this is a good new policy. One thing that has really surprised me about Tesla owners is how similar they tend to behave and how inelastic their behaviors tend to be. You see people complain about crowded superchargers, and then when you ask them what trip they were making, you learn that the crowded supercharger could have easily been avoided. It's maddening.

They're doing it in all sorts of different jurisdictions, so I think it's safe to say that it's an attempt to "train" locals not to crowd the superchargers at peak hours. If you're travelling through, you'll probably be more than willing to pay the higher rate, or it might convince you to choose another nearby location.

Overall, I think this is a good new policy. One thing that has really surprised me about Tesla owners is how similar they tend to behave and how inelastic their behaviors tend to be. You see people complain about crowded superchargers, and then when you ask them what trip they were making, you learn that the crowded supercharger could have easily been avoided. It's maddening.
Given where I live and travel I haven't had much experience with crowded Supercharger Stations. Did have to wait in Gallup the day before Thanksgiving last year (and at Albuquerque when I got there) and the three hour delay got me slammed with a heavy snowstorm for fifty miles. I've had to wait until evening to charge in Orange County CA and in San Diego, when there was only one station (since remedied). However, those have been rare exceptions in my 450+ Supercharger Station visits. Unlike you, I shy away from crowded cities as best I can on road trips!

Reactions: ThisIsTrue