Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brandon, MB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an aside, the e-zine publisher that is writing an article on this would like to know the $ cost to charge. I heard it was different rates for different charge rates and currency.
If you can post or PM them or have a current link I would appreciate knowing it. I have never used a SuC. The last update I can find is here.
It depends on the vehicle and when it was purchased. I may be wrong on some of the details, but my understanding is that all Roadster owners and early Model S and X owners got free Supercharging, for the lifetime of the car (possibly multiple owners). This was originally free with the car purchase, then free for the original owner only (did not transfer when the car was sold). Then Model S and X original owners would get free Supercharging if the car was purchased with a referral link. Then a referral link would get you 1000 free miles per year. Then 1000 free miles (once). There have also been some end of quarter "sales" where you could get some free electrons; the details were different every time. I think you can now buy free lifetime charging as an option (?? - not sure). [I have original owner free Supercharging via referral link purchase for my X.]

That is Model S and X.

For the Model 3, you pay for it all the time. I don't know of any free Supercharging on the 3. [Perhaps you get a few miles for a new vehicle?]

Reactions: Vawlkus
The day we have been waiting for. The last Super Charger in the Trans Canada link has been completed.

Spoke to the three crew members left today. They had some truck problems due to the cold so couldn't get away today, as it is Remembrance Day and businesses are closed ie no mechanics or parts available today.
They had paper work to complete so will do it today and then they will finish the cleanup tomorrow, although it looks pretty good right now.
The local utility (Manitoba Hydro) still has to inspect the installation & turn on the transformer. That might be Wednesday but could be Tuesday. The Tesla "Men in Black" then need to do their inspection - WHEN, no one knows except them.

SO, look for a major announcement.
Photo - Looking to get in for a charge :D or "Don't Fence Me Out!"

The local E-Zine has a really good article about it here.

Don't Fence Me Out 20191111.jpg

I may be wrong on some of the details, but my understanding is that all Roadster owners and early Model S and X owners got free Supercharging, for the lifetime of the car (possibly multiple owners).
Pretty sure some of the very earliest Model S did not come with this as the Free For Life Charging program didn't start until well after the first Model S were shipped. My recollection is there was a point at which the early owners could purchase into the program. Either way there's only thousands in that gap, a relatively small percentage of all S, and I'd expect any that were traded back in and then sold CPO gained it. The Model S forum here will have the minutia on all that.

Roadsters cannot change at Superchargers, they lack a compatible port or any adapter available for that.

Last edited:
The day we have been waiting for. The last Super Charger in the Trans Canada link has been completed.

Spoke to the three crew members left today. They had some truck problems due to the cold so couldn't get away today, as it is Remembrance Day and businesses are closed ie no mechanics or parts available today.
They had paper work to complete so will do it today and then they will finish the cleanup tomorrow, although it looks pretty good right now.
The local utility (Manitoba Hydro) still has to inspect the installation & turn on the transformer. That might be Wednesday but could be Tuesday. The Tesla "Men in Black" then need to do their inspection - WHEN, no one knows except them.

SO, look for a major announcement.
Photo - Looking to get in for a charge :D or "Don't Fence Me Out!"

The local E-Zine has a really good article about it here.

View attachment 475642
Upsala hasn’t been confirmed construction complete, has it? Its thread here just has a verbal, over-the-phone confirm yesterday that the Shell will get it and there’s some undescribed progress on it. Supercharger - Upsala, ON

Nobody has even taken a picture of the site, yet. It is quite remote, especially this time of year for BEVs.

P.S. Hoping it doesn’t end up like the Fort Stockton debacle where the “missing link” in the southern most US route took about 2 years to get filled. Although the TBay-Ignace gap is a lot shorter than that gap was, the southern route is nominally snow-free. Fort Stockton actually got close to start of construction, with permits in place, before the deal somehow fell through and took several hundred days past that to finally get finished. The options for placement have to be rather sparse in Upsala.

Last edited:
Upsala hasn’t been confirmed construction complete, has it? Its thread here just has a verbal, over-the-phone confirm yesterday that the Shell will get it and there’s some undescribed progress on it. Supercharger - Upsala, ON

Nobody has even taken a picture of the site, yet. It is quite remote, especially this time of year for BEVs.

P.S. Hoping it doesn’t end up like the Fort Stockton debacle where the “missing link” in the southern most US route took about 2 years to get filled. Although the TBay-Ignace gap is a lot shorter than that gap was, the southern route is nominally snow-free. Fort Stockton actually got close to start of construction, with permits in place, before the deal somehow fell through and took several hundred days past that to finally get finished. The options for placement have to be rather sparse in Upsala.
Correct - I updated the Upsala thread with a bit more info, but the summary is that there is not yet proof of construction beginning. I'm hopeful that somebody going through from Thunder Bay to Winnipeg will be able to take a picture or note status now that we know the location.

My gut feel is that, given everything we have seen with the Trans-Canada build-out, the likelihood that this will get stalled for an extended period of time seems very very low. Biggest issue right now is getting things dug before freeze-up - we are at or near the end of construction season in that area, so hopefully they've gotten the conduits into the ground by now (all the above ground stuff can be done after freeze-up - it might be uncomfortable, but it's doable)

Isn't this an all or nothing proposition, at least for the SCs in Northern Ontario? Unless you can have them all open, then what is the point of having SC islands? Why open Wawa, White River and Terrace Bay if the rest of them aren't done? Wait until the spring and get everything done.

The one exception to this would be at either end - maybe you could open up the ones between Sudbury and the Soo.

Isn't this an all or nothing proposition, at least for the SCs in Northern Ontario? Unless you can have them all open, then what is the point of having SC islands? Why open Wawa, White River and Terrace Bay if the rest of them aren't done? Wait until the spring and get everything done.

The one exception to this would be at either end - maybe you could open up the ones between Sudbury and the Soo.
...although Calgary to Winnipeg and somehow down to Duluth or Minneapolis would solve the "Island" problem (for Western Canada).

Western Ontario has a lot of unknowns because it is mostly remote. There might be completed chargers that we don't know about.

I also suspect there might be stealth chargers completed in places like Virden MB.

I am mainly referring to the Norther Ontario SCs between Sudbury and Winnipeg - despite the fact that this is the Brandon thread. Those sites are WAY more remote than any in Western Canada. Western Canada is not that remote as there are towns all along the TCH and the whole area is populated with farms. In Northern Ontario you have to plan ahead, even with ICE vehicles as there can be 200km or more between gas stations. And there is nothing but bush. The dividing line seems to be Richer, MB looking at Google Maps. East of there is bush, west is farms.

And why would you think that they have an SC in Virden? That isn't on the Tesla map and it is relatively unusual that Tesla builds SC that are not on the map, at least in Canada.

And why would you need one in Virden when it is only 141km from Moosomin to Brandon?

They moved the SuC site from Moosomin to Whitewood. It is about 191 km from Brandon to Whitewood, still not a huge distance and I can't see any real reason to put a SuC in Virden, but, there is a 30 Amp level 2 charger there if needed.

They might have moved Moosomin, SK to Whitewood, SK, but I still think they'll come back and put something in Moosomin, SK or Virden, MB.

Moosomin, SK was too far from Regina, SK.
But Brandon, MB is also really a _bit_ too far from Whitewood, SK. (There's only one larger gap along the TCH).

It's not just the gap itself, but that the gap from Regina, SK to Whitewood, SK is also one of the largest on the TCH at 169km, so the gap from Regina, SK to Brandon, MB is 360km. That will make Whitewood, SK a choke point.

Tesla should now have enough experience to avoid creating choke points, and adding Moosomin, SK or Virden, MB would relieve the pressure.

Last edited:
It would not be surprising if Upsala were under construction - after all, Thunder Bay sprung itself fully formed onto this forum. There's a shortage of information. After all, the last updates I've seen of Dryden and Nipigon (see my Trans-Canada summary on page 25 of Mid-Canada) were photos of a fence and dirt piles 3 weeks ago. I don't think it's ground freeze that's the problem, the ground hasn't had long enough to freeze deep - it's to working outdoors and pouring concrete at -15ºC

Once they turn on everything that they have confirmed finished physical construction of (I think?) there won't be any islands. There is a winter season gap at Upsala assumed, since we don't know its status on construction, but as I mentioned prior in the thread such a gap existed on I10 running on the West Coast to Gulf Coast route for years, and that was a much larger gap that was hard for most Teslas at the time to traverse at any time of the year.

Two members of the crew were back on site yesterday doing a final cleanup. They had left a trailer on site, probably due to troubles with the "International" truck. Again, they stressed that their tail was being chased by the P100 "Men in Black". Was told they don't know when the SuC will get fired up, but assume very soon. The fence will be removed on Monday, but that doesn't mean much as the fencing in Winnipeg and Portage has been down for weeks. I am wondering how the Tesla site in Whitewood is doing as I had thought it was completed.
I see the Petro Can is in construction, but thought Tom had said Saskatchewan was already completed.
Will look again today when driving by.

Brandon Clean Up - 20191115.jpg

I think in the case of Upsala, ON and Batchawana Bay, ON, because those are tiny places with very few options, Tesla would be more likely to work their way through any challenges rather than try to find a new location.

Passed by the site today, as I do every day, and the trailer has left the site. So just the fence left to get picked up by J&M on Monday.
I missed asking if MB Hydro had done their inspection of the wiring. Without that, the transformer/site will not get turned on.

We will be heading to Deep South Texas (Weslaco) on Friday (or sooner) and I am hoping Winnipeg will be live by then. It seems like it is about 360 Km to Fargo, so might have to stop in Grand Forks for an hour or so. Decided to head over to Baxter, Minnesota (218 Km) and down rather than try to get to Sioux Falls (392 Km) but that will depend on the range at the time.
Would sure like a heads up once Winnipeg is operational.

MD-2000 - The "International" was the big truck they had there. Took several days for them to get it fixed in the cold weather we had. Something about a hose to the turbo charger. Don't think they had any problem with the site.

Last edited:
I think in the case of Upsala, ON and Batchawana Bay, ON, because those are tiny places with very few options, Tesla would be more likely to work their way through any challenges rather than try to find a new location.

Yes; there are stretches of the TCH where there is actually nothing. No farms, no corner gas stations, no occasional cottages. Certainly no random power feeds of the right magnitude. Plus they wouldn't want to put that sort of equipment away from some sort of small restaurant/gas station where there are people to watch it. Otherwise, it's too easy for idiots to vandalize. There really isn't an appropriate spot to put anything between Thunder Bay and Upsala except English River, which is too close to TB. Similarly, There is nothing between Wawa and Sault Ste Marie in close to the right place except Bachawana.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP