Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brea, CA - S. Madrona Ave. (LIVE 10 Oct 2022, 24 V3 + 24 L2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least that box has been opened some time in the last two weeks.

Attachments

• PXL_20220620_044848251.jpg
    PXL_20220620_044848251.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 165
  • PXL_20220620_044905500.jpg
    PXL_20220620_044905500.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 105
  • PXL_20220620_044929765.jpg
    PXL_20220620_044929765.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: mociaf9
Okay, so here's a couple of questions:
  1. Is there a way for Tesla (or the city) to charge for using these J1772s? There are a couple of older charging stations in the other Birch St garage and those are free (though always in use).
  2. If not, unless someone is in a hurry (or has free Supercharger usage on their car), why would a Tesla driver not just use these and get free charging? I for one would like to be able to charge while having dinner and on a SuC, I can't have a nice sit-down dinner without having to jump up in the middle of it to move my car. If these are not billable, then this is game changer!

Okay, so here's a couple of questions:
  1. Is there a way for Tesla (or the city) to charge for using these J1772s? There are a couple of older charging stations in the other Birch St garage and those are free (though always in use).
  2. If not, unless someone is in a hurry (or has free Supercharger usage on their car), why would a Tesla driver not just use these and get free charging? I for one would like to be able to charge while having dinner and on a SuC, I can't have a nice sit-down dinner without having to jump up in the middle of it to move my car. If these are not billable, then this is game changer!
It's J1772, and given that there is no current interface with the Tesla app, how would these be billable? I understand that the gen 3 has wifi capabilities but I do not think they have been fully integrated with the app yet, and given it's J1772, how would they bill non-Teslas?

• Love
Reactions: rayluis1988
It's J1772, and given that there is no current interface with the Tesla app, how would these be billable? I understand that the gen 3 has wifi capabilities but I do not think they have been fully integrated with the app yet, and given it's J1772, how would they bill non-Teslas?
My guess is it will be free chargers. Probably the selling point to Brea to allow Tesla to install superchargers there, this will certainly bring some business to downtown Brea. Even all L2 chargers are in used at the same time, it’s equivalent to give 1 free super charging to a Tesla.

While WiFi Caps have not been integrated into the app yet, it's coming. I agree it will initially start off free and then add some nominal cost to cover electricity, maintenance, etc. The cost eventually will be to encourage good behavior. Nothing encourages bad behavior like free.

att really sucks down there. Hopefully we can get some decent cell signal IF we are supercharging
I know it is just another added expense and it won't ever happen, BUT I really wish Tesla would put in a WiFi hotspot at the Superchargers. Lock it out to just the cars, or a display pops up in your car with the access info. I think it has the potential to SAVE them money when those of us with Premium Connectivity are using that instead of our LTE (assuming they have a land-line installed). I could be wrong, but it's a thought.

I know it is just another added expense and it won't ever happen, BUT I really wish Tesla would put in a WiFi hotspot at the Superchargers. Lock it out to just the cars, or a display pops up in your car with the access info. I think it has the potential to SAVE them money when those of us with Premium Connectivity are using that instead of our LTE (assuming they have a land-line installed). I could be wrong, but it's a thought.
I think that'll happen as they deploy Starlink to more superchargers. It'll be just like a Service Center where your car connects automatically. The link below documents that Starlink was recently deployed to the Lexington, KY supercharger.

No. Ontario SuC has these HPWC with J1772 as well.
View attachment 835300

View attachment 835299
Your picture at Ontario is of the generation 2 wall connector with J1772. To my knowledge, this older design was never updated to include wifi connectivity like the generation 3 wall connector. I agree they look very similar to the untrained eye.

Reactions: Big Earl