Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Breezewood, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lanny

Nov 29, 2011
MD
Construction is well under way at Sheetz at the Breezewood Interchange of I-76 and I-70. I saw four boxes so it looks like eight stalls going in here.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_5680.JPG

Breezewood, PA

Interstates: I-70, I-76
US Numbered Highways: US-30

I-70:
To: Hagerstown, MD - 53.3 miles
Diversion: -0.5 miles!
To: End (Baltimore, MD) - 117 miles

I-76
To: End (I-295 near Camden, NJ) - 195 miles
Diversion: 1.7 miles

To: Erwin, NY (US-30,US-220,I-99,I-80,PA-184,US-15,I-99,I-86) - 222 miles
To: Bloomsburg, PA (US-30,US-220,I-99,I-80) - 178 miles
To: Harrisburg, PA (I-70,I-76,US-15,PA-581,I-83) - 90.5 miles
To: Hagerstown, MD (I-70,MD-65) - 53.3 miles
To: Morgantown, WV (US-30,US-220,I-68,I-79,US-119) - 123 miles
To: Somerset, PA (I-70,I-76) - 54.3 miles
To: Buffalo, NY (US-30,US-220,I-99,PA-350,US-322,PA-970,I-80,PA-153,US-219,I-90) - 265 miles

As a connector, this location seems to be about making a North-South connection, connecting Buffalo, NY or GTA to Washington DC, Western Maryland and Virginia.
Besides that, I-86 travel might be able to skip a large diversion in Harrisburg, PA.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP, CatB and vdiv
Very helpful for the east-west crossings.

NOW - two orders of business... 1) I-80 across PA west of Bloomsburg needs at least two superchargers. And 2) It would be nice to have superchargers following I-99 north of Bedford toward NY State.

That may seem picky but anyone who looks at the current SC map will see that both routes run through the middle of what is left of the PA supercharger desert.

Reactions: CSFTN
Very helpful for the east-west crossings.

NOW - two orders of business... 1) I-80 across PA west of Bloomsburg needs at least two superchargers. And 2) It would be nice to have superchargers following I-99 north of Bedford toward NY State.

That may seem picky but anyone who looks at the current SC map will see that both routes run through the middle of what is left of the PA supercharger desert.

Tesla's Find Us shows "Target opening by end of 2017":
Bellefonte, PA
Falls Creek, PA
West Middlesex, PA

They're also planning to build Superchargers along I-80 across Wyoming.

Essentially, by end of 2017 they're trying to "complete" I-5, I-10, I-80 and some other Interstates and have other locations marked for completing others, presumably in 2018.

That will be a welcome addition to the east-west travel corridor! Really wish I had kept better track of my supercharger visits. Can't remember if I've hit harrisburg before. I know I've done Allentown.

Harrisburg is located behind a grocery store on the back side of a strip mall, down hill from a hotel and a Sheetz. There's nothing facing it, but there are a pizza place and a frozen yogurt shop right nearby along the side if the mall, and about a dozen restaurants and slightly further out.

If none of this rings a bell, you probably haven't been there yet. It's one of my most visited three to date, along with Hamilton Square and Laurel.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenius
Hrm, yeah, doesn't sound familiar. But it's possible I hit it up on my way to the Gettysburg meetup back in September.

I have hit Hamilton Square on my way back from New York, and Laurel is a go to for my visits south. I'd say my most visited is likely Glen Allen, VA.

This location helps me out tremendously when reaching my parent's home in Indiana, PA from Valley Forge, PA. Harrisburg is ok but adds to the trip because it is fairly far off the turnpike with traffic to get to it in the evening. I have to charge to near 100% to reach the destination especially with colder weather. With Breezewood, it will just be a shorter charge and no deviation from the route really.

Also, for me to reach Pittsburgh now, I have to stop at Harrisburg and Somerset. With the Breezewood SC, it should be just 1 stop.

Hoping for a quick opening!

I emailed Sheetz years ago when I was looking at a Leaf asking them if they were to expand their DC charging stations to more Sheetz sites and the response was a firm "no." I made the argument that they create "built-in" customers since they're there for a decent period of time. I'm glad they've come around to partner with Tesla. Looking forward to seeing more at Sheetz.

Can't wait to smell gas fumes at a super charger. That's why I bought my car :)
A 24 hour gas stations with bathrooms and food made to order isn't too bad. If you have ever been to South Hill or Salisbury at an odd time of the night you would appreciate it. Hell Salsbury during the day is still inconvenient with the 10 minute walk to any amenities. It can be much worse than a Sheetz.

Reactions: CliffG and vdiv
I know, I know... And I give mad props to Sheetz for seeing the future. They saw that when people filled up with gasoline, and had to walk inside a smoke covered oil soaked outhouse, only to grab a key on a stick by begging for permission from someone who hadn't bathed in a week... that they could do better.

So, yes. I give Sheetz props for this effort, that will allow us to all get a little chubbier while we wait for our cars to charge, while hopefully bringing more visibility to gasoline alternatives, and minimizing ICEing events. Not the kind with cake, but the kind where a random Nissan CUV wrecks your day... However, if you need, I believe Sheetz will sell you a cake.

• Funny
Reactions: EVJunkie