Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bristol, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's just another one of the 'coming in 2017' SpC's... :) Meaning, I wouldn't expect more information.

And, sorry, it's not 'anywhere', it's in the middle of the name 'Bristol', like every other 'planned' new SpC is in the middle of a place name; all of them are the same, if you zoom in far enough.

upload_2017-4-29_7-36-28.png

Excellent! You would think for the new sites that actually have planning and locations in place, they would have pinned them in place and not on the name.... :) I suspect in the rush of getting the hundreds of 'coming in 2017' sites on the map, they just automatically placed them on the names and without local knowledge (like this linked thread), you (or I, I'm not local :) ) can't tell if it's a TBD or halfway-done.

Glad to see it's actually happening. I do wish they had had more then 'TBD' for a category for new and expansion. Could have used. expanding, TBD, and in progress.

Excellent! You would think for the new sites that actually have planning and locations in place, they would have pinned them in place and not on the name.... :) I suspect in the rush of getting the hundreds of 'coming in 2017' sites on the map, they just automatically placed them on the names and without local knowledge (like this linked thread), you (or I, I'm not local :) ) can't tell if it's a TBD or halfway-done.

Glad to see it's actually happening. I do wish they had had more then 'TBD' for a category for new and expansion. Could have used. expanding, TBD, and in progress.

I'm pretty sure the vagueness is intentional. Tesla would just as soon avoid a crowd of lookie-loos until a charger is ready to open. (One "coming soon" supercharger, in San Mateo, CA, was initially pinned to the mall where it's expected to go in and was later changed to the neighborhood name on Google Maps.)

Moderator note: This message (and a few replies to same) were moved from a thread in a different sub-forum. Threads specific to particular Supercharger sites are generally placed in the regional forums.

I was just looking on the tesla website and it says there is a new supercharger coming to Bristol TN/VA in Q3. It's odd because it's very close to an existing supercharger and based on the interstates I would think it would behoove them to place it a little more strategically. Any thoughts on why they'd put two superchargers in a smaller city relatively close to one another?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, first of all that pin could just as easily mean that they are going to expand the existing supercharger in Bristol, TN, as opposed to build a second location nearby. Secondly, optimal spacing for supercharger network coverage is like #10 on Tesla's list of considerations in where to put future superchargers. If the pin isn't for an expansion of the existing supercharger, I'd bet that the new location will be at the Sheetz gas station in Bristol, VA. Since Tesla has a partnership with them for hosting superchargers, Tesla'll install one basically anywhere Sheetz would like to have one regardless of whether the location is particularly needed or not based on existing coverage and usage.

Reactions: Big Earl
  • Helpful
Reactions: corywright
Bristol, VA

Along Primary Interstates: I-81
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-11, US-19, US-58, US-421
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-81

To: Wytheville, VA - 69.4 miles
Diversion: 1 miles
To: Salem, VA - 133.6 miles

US-11