Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just charged there. My one and only time, promise!

Really nice site. Hadn't used an urban charger before.
IMG_5227.JPG

Just charged there. My one and only time, promise!
No need to explain yourself. Locals are welcome to charge. Just give way to those who need to get somewhere. I needed a charge at Culver City a few months back. I was only 10 miles from home, but I was running low and wanted a safety margin in case I needed to head somewhere again. I had no hesitation charging. Then, a line formed. I promptly left.

Just got here. A handful of people are here breaking it in.

Edit: Apparently this parking lot is the Carlsbad PD hiding place. I’m sure they’ll feast on front plate tickets here!
I don't think they can ticket on private property.

Reactions: JeffnReno
According to the Tesla website, the next Superchargers to look for in San Diego County will be:
Opening 2018
Chula Vista
Del Mar
El Cajon
Escondido
La Jolla
Vista

Opening 2019
Carmel Mountain (Poway)
San Diego (Mission Valley)
San Ysidro

But somehow I doubt we will see all 6 of the 2018 openings happen before the end of the year.

According to the Tesla website, the next Superchargers to look for in San Diego County will be:
Opening 2018
Chula Vista
Del Mar
El Cajon
Escondido
La Jolla
Vista

Opening 2019
Carmel Mountain (Poway)
San Ysidro

But somehow I doubt we will see all 6 of the 2018 openings happen before the end of the year.

Vista and Escondido are not even permitted yet. It will be a miracle if those actually open in 2018.

I think Del Mar would alleviate some of the line problems at QCOM. And La Jolla too? Someone pinch me!! ;)

Opening 2018
Chula Vista
Del Mar
El Cajon
Escondido
La Jolla
Vista

Opening 2019
Carmel Mountain (Poway)
San Ysidro

Just as a Tesla time reference, we have had a Tesla equipment on site at Calabasas for close to a year for a Supercharger scheduled to open by December 2017. Website now says it will be completed by the end of 2018. Don't think this will happen either.
Ground hasn't even been broken. Tesla crates still remain (although a bit weathered now). I wouldn't be betting on any of the SD area SC's opening anytime soon. Is the Vista location the one further north on ECR?

I was charging at La Costa in the wee hours this morning. Just two of us. I was at 15 miles and needed a charge. It charged at 74 kW tapering down to 24 kW towards the end. It took 1 hour and 6 minutes for 211 miles*. However, I have got similar charges in only 50 minutes at San Clemente and Qualcomm with no one in the paired stall. So this is a slow charging station.

I leaned the seat back and took a nap and set my alarm. About half way through my nap I got a knock on the passenger window. It was a member of Carlsbad PD checking on me and muttering something about Carlsbad ordnances about sleeping in vehicles. He wasn't familiar with EVs so I had to explain everything to him and that I would be here for at least another half hour and would then leave. At least he was very polite and after checking my ID he said "Good Night".

When I had finished I noticed 2 CPD cars parked next to each other facing in opposite directions. Probably having a good old chat when they should be on patrol. As stated in another post, this is where CPD hangs out at night.

* 226 miles is my max normal charge at 90%. My Model S has 70,000 miles on it so it has about 5% battery degradation, which Tesla says is normal.

Last edited:
Whoa! Did not know that its against the law. Over the years I've napped in SJC, Harris Ranch, Pleasanton, Barstow, SD, Hawthorne, Tejon Ranch and Gilroy without any problems. Learn something new everyday in this forum :)

. It was a member of Carlsbad PD checking on me and muttering something about Carlsbad ordnances about sleeping in vehicles. He wasn't familiar with EVs so I had to explain everything to him and that I would be here for at least another half hour and would then leave. At least he was very polite and after checking my ID he said "Good Night".

Opening 2018
Chula Vista
Del Mar
El Cajon
Escondido
La Jolla
Vista

Opening 2019
Carmel Mountain (Poway)
San Ysidro

Would be nice but unless they're already breaking ground, I'd be surprised to see any of them in 2018. Still good to dream about having all those in the heavy Tesla occupied area eventually and the sooner the better.

I don't think they can ticket on private property.

They certainly can ticket in public parking lots. Once upon a time, my parents got a ticket in a dark restaurant parking lot for having the registration stickers on their license plate in transposed position. (gasp!) Of course, tickets are commonly issued in parking lots for parking in red zones and ADA spaces.

BTW, neither of the spaces below is reserved for ADA only. One of them is labeled that it is designed to be accessible and to be used last. While I was there last night a car did park in that spot. They were from the SF bay area and were shocked to learn that the SC had opened just hours before their desperately needed arrival.

I charged a bit last night there as well. Very nice meeting everyone! And super happy this location is finally open. It seemed to me that given the extra work that needed to be done, grading, retaining wall, being on two levels, that the construction phase happened fairly quickly. Yay!

Moonlight (who is planning to help out at the SD Delivery Center tonight, tomorrow and Sunday!)