Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (2525 El Camino Real, permit expired)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah we're getting off topic here but really unless you have a very long commute a L2 is overkill for home charging. Just a 110 or 220V wall box would be more than plenty to use with a mobile charger for daily overnight. This shouldn't cost more than a few hundred to install unless your HOA gives you the "go away" price.

Would love to see a heat map from Tesla for HPWC purchases within 100 miles of the San Clemente SC. Perfect LA/OC/SD County epicenter for garaged versus non-garaged.

Anyway, glad Clemente is open now with Carlsbad on deck. It’s about time, as much as I’ll miss the always-delicious Mexican food at SJC.

Went by today, did another pretty thorough search around all of the mall and could find nothing.

Are we sure this permit was approved?
I've been by 3 times in the past 2 weeks, those have been there every time and I've seen no activity. The containers are also not large enough for the Tesla Superchargers (not the stands, the actual chargers), which are historically shipped in crates and required to remain upright. The crates are taller than the opening to a container.

I wish that were the gear, but I just don't think it is.

Ok, now this is interesting. The 7710 address is a gym with banks, cleaners, and dance studio nearby. Google maps shows lots of cars in the parking lot, so probably not the best location. However, doesn't the permit say "Building Commercial Cogen"? Also, right nearby (33°05'03.5"N 117°15'59.1"W) there is another parking lot that is right next to a high voltage line. I'm wondering if this location has been chosen with the utilities assistance and we will see a significant battery installed.

Ok, now this is interesting. The 7710 address is a gym with banks, cleaners, and dance studio nearby. Google maps shows lots of cars in the parking lot, so probably not the best location. However, doesn't the permit say "Building Commercial Cogen"? Also, right nearby (33°05'03.5"N 117°15'59.1"W) there is another parking lot that is right next to a high voltage line. I'm wondering if this location has been chosen with the utilities assistance and we will see a significant battery installed.

I was just looking at that exact parking lot as well, seems rather perfect for a supercharger location. REALLY disappointed if the first address gets passed on though. It was much more convenient for the 5 as well as the 78.

At this point I'm assuming they are abandoning the first location since no progress has happened for so long. The new location I'm excited about because its 5 minutes from my house. But I agree the initial location was much more convenient (for the majority) along the 5 and 78.

This new location though is in a shopping mall that has been a ghost town for years, so they is plenty of free parking spaces there, and still not too far from the freeway.

I don’t know, man. Not too long ago, I drove up El Camino Real on a Friday evening, waiting to make the left turn onto HWY 78 westbound. It took me twenty minutes to get just south of the movie theatres to finally getting on the freeway onramp. It was incredibly congested.

As you later said, this new, more out of the way location may work out better in the long run.

Stopped by Carlsbad city offices today. Permit for Supercharger at Carlsbad Shoppes (by 78) got approved last week.

Found a new Supercharger in Carlsbad permit process #CBC2017-0600 Location is La Costa VONS at 7710 El Camino Real. Waiting for approval by city

Just to clear up some confusion this post might bring. This thread originally started with a permit for 2525 El Camino Real, which is across the road from the Carlsbad Shoppes, and is in the parking lot of a Vons grocery store. It is also right off the 78 freeway. The post above says that this permit has now been approved.

About a month ago, another permit was spotted for 7710 El Camino Real, which has nothing to do with a Vons, and is in a small mall. It is somewhat close to the 5 at La Costa, so a fairly quick drive from the 5.

The post above seems to be conflating the two permits.

You know, from now on, whenever anyone posts anything about Carlsbad permits, please bring a frigging phone and take a picture of what you found and post it.