Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Casa Grande, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking it was tapering also- notice I had 151 miles left when I plugged in. so that's pretty much where tapering starts I think. This was just a test anyway, I think it worked very well for what I was trying to achieve. When I start a long road trip in a couple of months, I will head the advice to run the battery charge on the "low side" to speed up the supercharging. Probably will keep a range buffer between 25-60 miles Thanks for the advice

Is this the first time you supercharged? I just don't remember my car tappering that low at 150~ rated miles, and I have a A battery. Can't wait to use this supercharger this coming weekend. How much range did you leave Tucson with and how fast did you go?

I try and arrive with 10-15 miles and generally use evtripper + 10-15 mile cushion.

Yes it was my first supercharge event, I drove 75Mph on Cruise the whole way- Since I had a tail wind and it's "downhill" to Casa Grande from Tucson, I got about 280wh/mile on the way there. I left Tucson with 206 miles, arrived with 151 distance which was almost exactly 1mile range per mile driven. On the way back, I used 340wh/mile, also at a constant 75Mph but there was a bit of head wind and it's uphill.

- - - Updated - - -

(219A*379v) 83.001 kWh at 151 miles of charge is normal... the supercharger is tapering, you'll only get the full 135kWh for a very short while. Tapering begins very early when supercharging, you'll only see the full 135kWh if you arrive at the supercharger with very few miles remaining. When you are traveling using superchargers you want to arrive with as few miles as you (your personal anxiety level will allow) so your time spent at each supercharger is minimal. ... then on to your next supercharger! Otherwise on long trips, you'll be hurting any time constraints you may have. Also, by short (time wise) charging you do not block the supercharger for other MS drivers. Supercharge what you need and a small cushion and off you go!

All good info and great suggestions.

One small correction: As far as anyone has seen, the maximum charge rate for an individual 85 is 120 kW and for an individual 60 is 105 kW. (I believe that this caused by a basic current limit of 333 Amps created by wire size, connectors, etc.) Both of these happen at low rated miles in the battery and the power "tapers" down as the rated miles in the battery (State of Charge) increases. The new 135 kW Supercharger Cabinets use the extra power when servicing two Teslas at the same time. The first Tesla to arrive gets most of the power if it can use it, and the rest goes to the second to arrive. As the first car tapers, the second car gets more power, but if the Supercharger Cabinet has more total power, then there is more for the second car from the beginning.

Must have just missed you- I left at 11:25am after charging for 25 min or so...I didn't ask the guy that was working around the enclosure what the deal with the tape on the other pedestals was- He was busy doing some clean up/punch list work. He did say they turned them all on yesterday.

Must have just missed you- I left at 11:25am after charging for 25 min or so...I didn't ask the guy that was working around the enclosure what the deal with the tape on the other pedestals was- He was busy doing some clean up/punch list work. He did say they turned them all on yesterday.

Charged at Casa Grande today (5P), arrived with 80 miles and left with 252 about an hour and 20 minutes later. Enjoyed a good meal and dessert at Culvers in the meantime. Began charging at 275 mph with indicated rate at 100 mph by the time I reached 252, with a steady rate of taper the whole time. However, the 100 mph charge rate would mean 2 miles at 3 minutes, but the indicated rate on my phone app was considerably less.

I don't think mph charge rate indications are very accurate in real terms. I've noticed this disparity several times at other superchargers; it doesn't bother me much since actual supercharge rates are so far ahead of anything else we have available. . .what's really not to like?

Workers were finishing up all cleanup; all stalls were very clean, free of any debris, tape or cones, and absolutely ready to go in every respect. Really looks great!

I don't think mph charge rate indications are very accurate in real terms. I've noticed this disparity several times at other superchargers; it doesn't bother me much since actual supercharge rates are so far ahead of anything else we have available. . .what's really not to like?

The charge rates definitely averaged by some factor. Unplug at 210~ rated and then plug back in and you'll see.

But you're right, charge times really aren't that bad, especially if you have something to do.

I have a 14-50 plug about 15 miles south of Benson if you're ever going through and need a top off.
Hi rsanchez. I want to plan a trip to Kartchner Caverns and will be charging at the Casa Grande supercharger and return there after the trip. How far away do you live from Kartchner Caverns and would you mind if I stopped by to get enough charge to get back to Casa Grande? Or do you know of any place to charge at or near Kartchner Caverns or perhaps Tucson.

Charged at Casa Grande today (5P), arrived with 80 miles and left with 252 about an hour and 20 minutes later. Enjoyed a good meal and dessert at Culvers in the meantime. Began charging at 275 mph with indicated rate at 100 mph by the time I reached 252, with a steady rate of taper the whole time. However, the 100 mph charge rate would mean 2 miles at 3 minutes, but the indicated rate on my phone app was considerably less.

Workers were finishing up all cleanup; all stalls were very clean, free of any debris, tape or cones, and absolutely ready to go in every respect. Really looks great!

The MPH rates are average rates for the charging session and can be very misleading if you believe that the number represents the instantaneous rate towards the end of a tapering session. A much better estimate of the instantaneous rate of charge is to use the Supercharger displayed Volts and Amps; the instantaneous rated mile MPH is then Volts*Amps/300.

Volts*Amps is Watts; divide that my 300 W-h/mi, and you get miles/hour. It is 300 W-h/mi for and 85 DC charging at a Supercharger.

Hi rsanchez. I want to plan a trip to Kartchner Caverns and will be charging at the Casa Grande supercharger and return there after the trip. How far away do you live from Kartchner Caverns and would you mind if I stopped by to get enough charge to get back to Casa Grande? Or do you know of any place to charge at or near Kartchner Caverns or perhaps Tucson.

Bookman's on Speedway has a J1772 Chargepoint charger that is free, I believe, and Picacho Peak as a 70A J1772, also Chargepoiint and also free the last time I checked.

Depending on when you are making the trip, you can private message me and I may be able to let you use my HPWC. I live in NE Tucson.

Hey Stealth, as KK7P mentioned, there's a charger in Picacho right off the highway and one at Bookmans on Speedway (4-5 miles from i10), both are roughly 40MPH charge rates if I remember correctly. I have a RV plug about 15 miles south of Kartchner Caverns (in Whetstone) that you're more than welcome to use, but it's not near anything worth walking to.

There are also two RV parks near Kartchner Caverns, about a mile away. It is a state highway and I don't think you'd really want to walk to them from Kartchner, but they're close to the Loves truck stop which has a couple fast food places and not much else.

Bookman's on Speedway has a J1772 Chargepoint charger that is free, I believe, and Picacho Peak as a 70A J1772, also Chargepoiint and also free the last time I checked.

Depending on when you are making the trip, you can private message me and I may be able to let you use my HPWC. I live in NE Tucson.

The charger on Speedway (3330 E Speedway) is a 70 amp. If you have dual chargers then you can leverage the higher amperage. There is a Whole Foods and several restaurants within walking distance of this charger. If you can't make the distance from SE AZ back up to Casa Grande, I'd suggest charging here in Tucson rather than at Picacho Peak.

In regard to the thought about the charge tapering, here are two good resources to see where tapering occurs in the charge curve.....

http://teslaowner.wordpress.com/2014/05/07/charge-off-90kw-vs-120kw/

http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-...s-how-quickly-does-a-supercharger-charge.html

I found these useful for calculating how long stops might take at a supercharger based on present state of charge vs. what would be needed at departure.

See this thread here also (link below). The OP posted a charge time table for 85 that gives a good gauge. I created a similar table for my 60 based on my first supercharge (in Flagstaff) that is posted later in the thread. I used the table for a 4,250 mile road trip this summer where we visited 21 separate superchargers -- and was pretty accurate.

Tesla Supercharger Table

Charged today, was nice to not have to divert to
Bu
image.jpg
ckeye and Gila Bend from Flagstaff.