Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - College Station, TX - Texas Avenue South

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an Aggie w/ Tesla from DFW area (McKinney) who has season tickets, the key advantage of the SC over L2 is the speed of charge. Last time I went down, I charged at the L2 at hotel behind the Saltgrass, but I was only able to charge for about 2-3 hours before I had to drive to the stadium. I was only able to add less than 100 miles, as opposed to 15-20 minutes at SC and I'm over 80%.

Reactions: KidDoc
I would guess that he was talking about the western area where 290 & 6 meet. On Tesla's map that's pretty close to the pin they've got in Brenham.

I'm also in the camp that adding sites in Wichita Falls and Lubbock should have a higher sense of urgency than putting one in College Station even if lots of owners would like it. For A&M gamedays, significantly increasing the local L2 chargers would be better. If you want to see the problem with relying on a nearby supercharger for high traffic events, look at what happened at the Buellton, CA supercharger after a recent SpaceX launch out of nearby Vandenberg AFB. 60+ cars waiting in line to charge with wait times of over 3 hours by some accounts. The geographical location of College Station makes it less likely to result in quite such a mess, but it will still be a growing problem as more people drive Teslas (and EVs in general). A much better solution would be a parking lot with a ton of L2 chargers.
L2 charging for sporting events is an ICEing disaster with little solution in sight.

L2 charging for sporting events is an ICEing disaster with little solution in sight.
True. I can say specifically for A&M when I lived out of town about 4 years ago there was always an open spot in the garages. The parking attendants would redirect me to the bottom floor spot when I drove up.

Now that I am local I decline and park up high so the people who actually need a L2 charge can get it.

That is actually a good locations. Walking paths and multiple restaurants in the area.

Someone here talked to Rudy's management in Houston about future supercharging locations and was told that parking lot size was a major factor in whether or not they could install an SC. They need to have plenty of open spaces for other patrons.
How large is the parking lot at this Rudy's?

Someone here talked to Rudy's management in Houston about future supercharging locations and was told that parking lot size was a major factor in whether or not they could install an SC. They need to have plenty of open spaces for other patrons.
How large is the parking lot at this Rudy's?
Not that big ... IMHO. Drove by this weekend.

Charged overnight at hotel.

They watch public notice sources for permits getting filed. It is sort of patchwork, in my understanding, as it varies a lot by jurisdiction how it is published and how transparent they are.
Also boots on the ground and eyes open. I have discovered a couple supercharger construction sites on my own. Someone who lives in College Station might be able to scout out some likely locations and keep an eye on them.

Reactions: SammichLover
No updates that I'm aware of at this time. Hopefully well be in place prior to next football season.
As per @PLUS EV 's suggestion, any thoughts on where they might land it? I assume somewhere close to Highway 6, the main one not Texas Ave alt-route. There's a number of large malls on that. Not sure if they'd try to get near crossroads? Like where highway 30 comes in from the East, or up in Bryan where that FM-Iforgetthenumber comes from the West?

Alternatively they might land it on the Southside somewhere near the Texas Ave turn-off of SH6 coming from the South. There's a lot of mid-to-upper income housing there and to the South on the East side of SH6, I don't know how Tesla households are distributed in town?

I can occasionally roll by sites on the East/South, at least when Fall Semester starts again.

Requested/Suggested Supercharger location for College Station, TX:

4040 Hwy 6, College Station, TX 77845
lat/lon: 30.579077, -96.282379

The attached highway6.jpg picture shows a view of Highway 6 as seen from this parking lot location. If you zoom in on the picture where the building is on the left side of the picture, you can see cars on highway 6. This location provides easy access to and from highway 6. Also, as seen in the foreground of this picture, a drive through supercharger could be put on the inside middle of the island in the foreground of this picture so that model X drivers that are towing a trailer with their model X would be able to charge without having to unhook their trailer.

The possible-contact.jpg picture shows possible contact information for who the property owner might be.

There are two hotels and two restaurants at this location.

I'm seeing more Tesla vehicles in town on a regular basis. There are also Tesla drivers that come to College Station for sporting events, like football games, and other events, that would very much welcome a supercharging site in College Station, TX that is easily accessible to Highway 6. There are also Tesla drivers that would welcome a supercharging site in College Station, TX as they drive to and from College Station, TX on their way to the north and south who would like to use Highway 6.

Please forward this for consideration by those who make supercharger site decisions.

Thank You

18917AFB-0672-40A7-9F3D-DCF062DBE132.jpeg
9BB86EF6-E621-4B85-98E2-2C5B9EB73029.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler