Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Coos Bay, OR (LIVE 25 Oct 2023, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

A new Supercharger may be coming soon to Coos Bay, Oregon.

The city recently approached Tesla with the opportunity to install a Supercharger at one of five designated locations. No location has been selected yet but there is already a Supercharger agreement attached to the report.

Attachments

• Report and Agreement.pdf
    908 KB · Views: 153
  • Available Locations.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 180
“After several attempts, staff was successful in reaching out to Tesla and received positive feedback that Tesla was interested in our inquiry.”

That’s not good. For anyone wanting to host a supercharger it should be extremely easy to get a hold of Tesla and start the dialogue. For another city or town the results might be wildly different. If a community group convinced someone large enough (like a city council) to reach out and seriously consider providing land, or possibly power infrastructure upgrades to a site, getting a hold of Tesla should absolutely be the easiest part in the process!

I can’t understand why communication is so difficult. Is it just the younger generations of people that might be in a lot of these jobs? Do they just drop the ball on getting back to people or professional communications?

I’m not saying Tesla should green light everyone that comes and asks, but they should make it so incredibly easy to inquire. I would think the hardest part for Tesla is the land agreement, the community support (or at least someone, site host etc, being a strong supporter), site prep, and then actually rolling out the construction.

If you have someone asking for it, land agreements should be pushed through basically and site prep (permits, any environmental impact) should also be fast tracked. I mean the host and community *want* it so they’ll move to make that stuff easy. Then Tesla can handle what they do best, building hardware and working with very experienced contractors to deploy.

I can’t understand why communication is so difficult. Is it just the younger generations of people that might be in a lot of these jobs? Do they just drop the ball on getting back to people or professional communications?
It's part of Tesla's policy of majorly, majorly understaffing communications and customer service personnel. Same reason why you can't get ahold of anyone if you try to call a Tesla service center or store and why it's so hard to have steady contact/communications with delivery teams, etc. That and high levels of turnover in the staffing for those roles means that things fall through the cracks a lot.

Reactions: cpa
Coos Bay was also one of the first locations of the 50 Kw CHAdeMO sites at the Fred Meyers. I used this charger a few times back in 2015 and 2016 when doing coastal trips. So having a smaller site would be fine for people who don't want to be limited to only the Bandon charger with its small amenities. Although for 101, I hope Tesla is also looking at Gold Beach and Brookings.

Reactions: bruce4000
Coos Bay, OR

Host Type: Parking Lot
Host: City of Coos Bay
Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-101
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-101

To: Lincoln City, OR - 123 miles
Diversion: 0.4 miles
To: Tillamook, OR - 168.9 miles

Pathetic splitter of the largest gap on US-101. But, together with the Tillamook, OR Supercharger that is under construction, will provide v3 Supercharging, supplementing existing v2 Superchargers in Bandon, OR and Lincoln City, OR.

Good to see another small city seeing benefits in attracting Tesla. It's a win-win-win. Tesla gets an easy host, the city gets more foot traffic and Tesla owners get a place to charge with more than just chains nearby.

That would be awesome. I can grab a bite to eat at 7 Devils Brew Pub while getting charged up.
I always make a visit to 7 Devils pub every time my family and I are in the area (we stay in Charleston), so I'm happy to see this SC going in here, both for myself and for others. There's another 7 Devils Alehouse on the waterfront in a new development at the northern end of N Front St right off 101. More space there and similar menu.

Stopped by the 4th & Curtis location. As expected, no signs of construction or even markings. If I were to guess, the stalls would be located between the small green transformer and where I parked (either side of the median. 2nd photo shows 3-phase on the poles across Curtis, so not far to trench. Another option would be the Fred Meyer on 101, but Tesla hasn’t put one at a FM for years.
39B3217F-33D0-46ED-9AC0-AB5B44D516CC.jpeg

1D9A6FD4-9930-4C9D-9573-9FD2C37E955C.jpeg

That’s the exact spot my car was parked. Sounds like this one is a go for next year. I doubt they would start before winter anyway. There are too many other higher priorities.