Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Corning (6 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Redding would be helpful for Lassen trips, although we did have a fine trip without it. Granted, we had one day where we did not use the car at all up there and hiked from the campground. So Corning worked for us, but did not leave us a lot of margin for a multi-day stay.
Actually a small charger in one of the small towns on the 44 would be arguably better. Just like Groveland CA for Yosemite.
I’m not crazy about a long charge @ Grant’s Pass SC.
I wish there was something between Springfield OR and Grant’s Pass.
It would be ideal if there was one in Ashland OR as well. A good place to visit along the way.

Redding would be helpful for Lassen trips, although we did have a fine trip without it. Granted, we had one day where we did not use the car at all up there and hiked from the campground. So Corning worked for us, but did not leave us a lot of margin for a multi-day stay.
Actually a small charger in one of the small towns on the 44 would be arguably better. Just like Groveland CA for Yosemite.
The Mt. Lassen KOA in Shingletown has 80A Tesla HPWCs. We stay there with our camper, because as you can imagine, range becomes a quick issue otherwise. We rarely use the HPWC, because we have a 50A at the site. I have considered spending a single night at the KOA and getting a high level of charge, going into the park for a few days and then driving back to Corning afterwards. It's doable but tight. Without the camper, you could spend a night at a KOA cabin, charge the car, and be in very solid shape for a good Lassen adventure.

I bet the owners would also be happy to let you charge there for a few hours for a nominal fee. They are very EV friendly at that KOA.

Reactions: e-FTW
The Mt. Lassen KOA in Shingletown has 80A Tesla HPWCs. We stay there with our camper, because as you can imagine, range becomes a quick issue otherwise. We rarely use the HPWC, because we have a 50A at the site. I have considered spending a single night at the KOA and getting a high level of charge, going into the park for a few days and then driving back to Corning afterwards. It's doable but tight. Without the camper, you could spend a night at a KOA cabin, charge the car, and be in very solid shape for a good Lassen adventure.

I bet the owners would also be happy to let you charge there for a few hours for a nominal fee. They are very EV friendly at that KOA.

Just another resource for visiting the Lassen area. I spoke with the manager of Childs Meadows resort, they charge $10 a day to charge at one of their RV spots. I believe they have cabins and I can vouch for the Highlands Ranch Resort Restaurant across the street as being very good (going there this weekend actually!)
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
high level of charge, going into the park for a few days and then driving back to Corning afterwards. It's doable but tight.

Instead of backtracking to Corning, take the southern route out of the park to SR36, then east about 8 miles to SR32, and it is all downhill to Chico. The interwebs say that it is about 70 miles from the park to Chico, and with the elevation loss, you ought to be in tall cotton. Regrettably, the 19th Century navigation system in the car does not recognize this route to Chico until you exit the National Park.

The Chico Supercharger is one block south of the highway behind a Target, I believe about a furlong from the onramp to SR99.

[Sincere apologies to the moderator who has to sift through these tangents!]

We've always been able to get a stall in Corning on our trips from Sacramento to OR, but it's been getting fuller, and I see stories here and elsewhere of times when there are significant waits in Corning. We're heading to Ashland, OR soon, and I'd been hoping Williams would be online, but that's looking unlikely at this point. What do experienced folks think? Is it worth going up 99 and using Chico instead? Theoretically, it adds about 15 minutes of drive time, but that could pay for itself if it saves a wait in Corning.

We've always been able to get a stall in Corning on our trips from Sacramento to OR, but it's been getting fuller, and I see stories here and elsewhere of times when there are significant waits in Corning. We're heading to Ashland, OR soon, and I'd been hoping Williams would be online, but that's looking unlikely at this point. What do experienced folks think? Is it worth going up 99 and using Chico instead? Theoretically, it adds about 15 minutes of drive time, but that could pay for itself if it saves a wait in Corning.
It really depends on the day and time. Weekdays seem pretty good. On my recent outbound to Ashland, we charged around 11am on a Tuesday, and there were stalls available. I did get one of the only unpaired stalls, but there was no line. On our return at about the same time on Friday, it was relatively empty. But we've been through on the weekends and it's almost always full. What days are you going?

• Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC
It really depends on the day and time. Weekdays seem pretty good. On my recent outbound to Ashland, we charged around 11am on a Tuesday, and there were stalls available. I did get one of the only unpaired stalls, but there was no line. On our return at about the same time on Friday, it was relatively empty. But we've been through on the weekends and it's almost always full. What days are you going?

Just to add on to this, as with many things in life, it pays to Supercharge early. My one visit to Corning was early on a weekend morning (before 10am if memory serves)...didn’t have to wait but in the time that I was there, I saw this place fill up and there was a line by time I left,

Bruce.

• Informative
Up on a Saturday, home on Wednesday. Home sounds safe. Also, southbound one can see the status on the nav in time to make a decision. Northbound one had to choose way back in Sacramento which way to go.

I think if we analyzed the distances to Corning from Sac, East Bay, Mt. Shasta City, and perhaps further south (like Fresno :D), we could might be able to conclude that arrival times in Corning will correspond to "usual" departure times plus driving time and any en route charging time. So, about two hours from Sac, three-plus from the East Bay, one hour-plus from Mt. Shasta City, and about six hours-plus from Fresno.

A 7:00 AM departure from Sacramento will probably not encounter many other drivers, except for the southbound folks from Mt. Shasta City.

But an 8:30 AM departure might encounter people from the East Bay who left around 7:00 and the southbound people who departed Mt. Shasta City around 8:30.

Mid-afternoon charging would probably be affected by drivers from the San Joaquin Valley, those southbound people who stayed in Oregon, and the Bay Area folks who left during the late morning to early afternoon.

• Helpful
I think if we analyzed the distances to Corning from Sac, East Bay, Mt. Shasta City, and perhaps further south (like Fresno :D), we could might be able to conclude that arrival times in Corning will correspond to "usual" departure times plus driving time and any en route charging time. So, about two hours from Sac, three-plus from the East Bay, one hour-plus from Mt. Shasta City, and about six hours-plus from Fresno.

A 7:00 AM departure from Sacramento will probably not encounter many other drivers, except for the southbound folks from Mt. Shasta City.

But an 8:30 AM departure might encounter people from the East Bay who left around 7:00 and the southbound people who departed Mt. Shasta City around 8:30.

Mid-afternoon charging would probably be affected by drivers from the San Joaquin Valley, those southbound people who stayed in Oregon, and the Bay Area folks who left during the late morning to early afternoon.
Or.. Just check google maps for busy times ;)
Fridays and Sundays look the worst
Screenshot_20191001-174107_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20191001-174045_Maps.jpg

I have an idea.. Tesla can add occupancy status by TOD to routing, or maybe something incorporated in to "A better route planner". I have no app skills but seems like someone in these forums can do it :)

@aesculus might like this idea for EVTO-TESLA.
I'd probably do it for longer term outages like construction but not for immediate issues like power outages. Since EVTO is a planning app those sorts of things can come and go multiple times during a planning session.

There is a hack where you can dislike a charger in EVTO today and that will force a 15 minute penalty on it to influence it not being chosen. The other hack is to force a charge location before the "bad" SC so it never gets considered.

BTW for the longer term issues I have been thinking about this. Recently Tesla has been decommissioning chargers and I have to hunt them down and clean up the system. Many of these charging sites may never return again, or at least not in the same exact location or type.

I'd probably do it for longer term outages like construction but not for immediate issues like power outages. Since EVTO is a planning app those sorts of things can come and go multiple times during a planning session.

There is a hack where you can dislike a charger in EVTO today and that will force a 15 minute penalty on it to influence it not being chosen. The other hack is to force a charge location before the "bad" SC so it never gets considered.

BTW for the longer term issues I have been thinking about this. Recently Tesla has been decommissioning chargers and I have to hunt them down and clean up the system. Many of these charging sites may never return again, or at least not in the same exact location or type.
I think what @Blup85 was talking about was more about using the Google "busy times" to derate Superchargers on a route in favor of ones that aren't typically busy. Of course, that probably requires the Google Maps API, which probably is expensive, etc. And of course, those are averages, but I do agree they have some value to them.

(Gentle nudge back to thread topic... ;)
It really depends on the day and time. Weekdays seem pretty good. On my recent outbound to Ashland, we charged around 11am on a Tuesday, and there were stalls available. I did get one of the only unpaired stalls, but there was no line. On our return at about the same time on Friday, it was relatively empty.
I’m going to be using Corning midday this Friday so am hoping for the best. For trips north on I5 from the SF Bay Area to Oregon it’s still the best place for a stop. When Williams comes online then I will consider skipping Corning.

I think what @Blup85 was talking about was more about using the Google "busy times" to derate Superchargers on a route in favor of ones that aren't typically busy. Of course, that probably requires the Google Maps API, which probably is expensive, etc. And of course, those are averages, but I do agree they have some value to them.
Ah. OK. Sort of missed that.

And yes Google has gone wonkers. I can no longer afford their "time of day" routing either which was a great feature when transiting major metropolitan areas and was useful in planning trips.

There may be another way to get this information though. I'll look into it. The problem is that I would have to constantly update a profile of this info in my server for each charger and then determine when you were most likely to get there based on a dozen other factors. Oh my head hurts. :)

Ironically EVTO will not show this Google info today. If you click on one of these places EVTO thinks you want to go there and jump to Add Waypoint preloading the data into the dialog. So you never see the underlying Google data that you do in the map.

I may look into a different way of doing that. Perhaps I can still show the Google info for these "places" as Google calls them and add an EVTO button to allow you to make it a waypoint if you wish.

At least this way you could decide to put on the manual "dislike" for that charger based on when might get there. Not ideal but.

I think what @Blup85 was talking about was more about using the Google "busy times" to derate Superchargers on a route in favor of ones that aren't typically busy.
Here is what I have done for EVTO 5.1. Not elegant and you have to take some action too.

If you are concerned a supercharger may be affected by various times:
  • Turn on the EVTO charger icon and locate the SC you are interested in
  • In EVTO zoom in the map to the Google POI for the supercharger and select it. It should be close the the EVTO one but enough difference so you can select either one
  • If you have a subscription it will bring up the Add Waypoint dialog pre filled with that supercharger address etc.
  • There will now be a new button at the bottom that says Google. Pressing that will launch Google maps on your mobile device and zoom into that location just like you selected it yourself
  • Check the busy times etc. (Note this will work the same for any Google POI like restaurants, shops, museums ...). Note the time the EVTO predicts you will be there
  • Now go back to EVTO and if you are OK with this you can select Save or you can Cancel
  • If you want to penalize the SC then select the EVTO SC icon and give it a thumbs down.
Now if you do the Refresh it will reflect you wishes accordingly. But remember unless you remove the penalty it will stay applied to that charger.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman