Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cupertino, CA (LIVE 28 Mar 2018, 10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a long look around on January 26 and saw no sign of a transformer near the superchargers. I think it will likely be outside at ground level, where there's a small area fenced off directly below. I leaned out and took a picture looking down, and while it seems the area is filled mostly with building debris, there is something. It was kind of dark, but I think that might be something greenish on a pad. What do you think?View attachment 278084

Or, could that be the storage cabinet where they keep the spare propane tanks for the BBQ?

• Funny
Reactions: miimura
I took a long look around on January 26 and saw no sign of a transformer near the superchargers. I think it will likely be outside at ground level, where there's a small area fenced off directly below. I leaned out and took a picture looking down, and while it seems the area is filled mostly with building debris, there is something. It was kind of dark, but I think that might be something greenish on a pad. What do you think?View attachment 278084

The Green item on the concrete pad is a PG&E utility transformer ... looks like 750 kVA :cool:

There are a bunch of SuperChargers that are incomplete but seemingly only awaiting a little tiny bit to finish. I suspect some commonality between them all for the reason that they aren't complete, but I remain as dumbfounded and curious as ever attempting to figure out what all the many (or common) reasons (or reason) for that may be.

It could be something as simple as the guy who does that task is out of town turning on a bunch in other areas of the country that need it more.

I can't imagine that Tesla is saving much money or manpower by not turning them on, so even though that was my first theory to fit the slower than expected Model 3 rampup (save some expenditures and put manpower to work fixing the ramp up), it doesn't really make any sense.

If they're still hiring security guards for every SuperCharger, that could make some more sense, since that is a much heavier outlay; since Model 3 isn't bringing in revenue now, they would wait until Model 3 brought in more revenue to assign the security guards and push out the last turn on steps for the SuperChargers. Hopefully they're keeping up with construction and inspections so that nothing gets "too old to use", and they would simply keep the final turn ons low to keep the security guard bills low for now, until Model 3 numbers rose.

Last edited:
The one in Vancouver, WA was delayed because of a shortage of a particular part, called a "Switch Gear". It's a fairly standard thing, but it (or whatever it is) might have gotten backordered for some reason. You never know. Some other building project (the flying saucer across the street?) might have needed hundreds of them and got in front in the queue, and the manufacturer might not have been able to keep up.

-Snortybartfast

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
There were two Workmen there today with some equipment covers off, but would not indicate when it might be open. Looks like wheelstops to be installed, maybe some control cables but all the big equipment is in place
6F694D48-0F08-4050-A2ED-B5A6B6BC5E99.jpeg
CCC4C6BA-0CCA-4A03-8775-10A831EE980E.jpeg
27985744-1980-474B-9FF8-A2332F30095A.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Acps110
How are they going to manage the queuing lines?! I hope the "BBQ Grill" stays so we have something to "chew on" while we waaaaaiiiiiittttt...!

IMO, this is quite the impending disaster. When Tesla planners selected this site, were they not able to get the “best people” because they all got hired by the White House?

Did they look at all of the vacant public chargers on the lower level and assume that second floor SuperChargers would also be mostly empty?

Did they figure that many Tesla owners would give up trying to find this obscure location, and drive 15 congested miles to the next closest SuperCharger or maybe 10 miles to the future one in Sunnyvale (in a similar “almost done” state; but with no BBQ)?

Did the operators of the Cupertino parking garage realize the likely queuing issue in a dense high traffic location and put the brakes on the project? There are a huge number of Teslas within a five or ten mile radius. And BTW, without paying much attention, I spotted two Model 3s within a mile of this site.

A future Forum post?: “On our road trip, once we finally found the Cupertino parking garage SuperCharger, we had to wait 90 boring minutes to get into a stall, then another 60 to get the charge we needed for the next stop. Tesla needs to pick more and better locations and show wait time estimates on the map.”

Reactions: Kant.Ing
I've never been to this site...what's the problem? No place for people to line up?

You go in the garage entrance, and there's a ramp ahead of you. Go up the ramp and then turn 180 degrees to the right, the chargers are on your left.

The congestion is going to be a problem for sure. Probably going to have people queuing on the ramp (good test of brake hold I guess), and that right turn is going to be a mess.

I would also expect cars reversing into the charger spots to cause congestion, as people try to get past them.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW and bmah
You go in the garage entrance, and there's a ramp ahead of you. Go up the ramp and then turn 180 degrees to the right, the chargers are on your left.

The congestion is going to be a problem for sure. Probably going to have people queuing on the ramp (good test of brake hold I guess), and that right turn is going to be a mess.

I would also expect cars reversing into the charger spots to cause congestion, as people try to get past them.

Thanks. That definitely sounds problematic.

Bruce.