Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dedham, MA - 100 Providence Hwy (Rt 1)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tdreamer

Plaid Supercharger
Supporting Member
Sep 10, 2017
Bedford, Massachusetts
Tesla is proposing the addition of a 12 stall supercharger in the parking lot of Ocean State Job Lot and Chick-fil-A with the address of 100 Providence Hwy, Dedham, MA 02026. The plan proposes three pre-fab supercharger pads for 12 total charging stalls.

An interesting observation on this site plan is that it has two transformers - a 750kVA feeding two PSU's, and a 500kVA transformer feeding the third PSU according to the electrical diagram. Not sure I've seen that before.

Tesla is coming before the Dedham Planning Board on February 8th to make their proposal.

1675365721727.png

1675365790897.png

1675366786638.png

Last edited:
Two meters as well. I wonder how this will affect demand charges vs having a single transformer.

Still one master controller that regulates the entire site.
Good points. I just hope the lead times for transformers has come down by then so that it doesn't result in an extended delay in completion (and admittedly short sighted view of the overall outcome/end-result).

The Dedham PB meeting just wrapped up discussion on this project. The Planning Board representatives were unhappy with the current site conditions of the property and that they were not in compliance with the original site plan. Because of this, the PB felt they were unable to support granting any conditions for the supercharger project itself. Basically, the property landlord has not kept the site up in terms of parking lot and landscaping condition, and until that was taken care of the PB did not feel they could support granting approvals for the project. Multiple members of the PB did say that other than this, they were very supportive of the project itself and could be supportive of it. The PB was very clear that any opposition was directed at the property owner, and not Tesla.

They left it that Tesla would go back to the property owner to seek a solution - ie. the property owner would develop a plan to make the PB happy - and that Tesla would return to provide an update at the next meeting on 2/22.

My guess - unless the property owner is really interested in having Tesla there, the project (at this location) might not go forward. We'll see.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1
Two meters as well. I wonder how this will affect demand charges vs having a single transformer.

Still one master controller that regulates the entire site.
Reflecting a bit on the two transformer component of this project - I wonder if it's proximity to the Dedham service and delivery center (and the possibility of it being expanded) has anything to do with a desire to provide higher site capacity. Perhaps they're designing it such that they can charge more vehicles from a low SoC concurrently (ie. delivery prep) than they would typically do at a typical supercharger.

Tesla was not on the agenda for the 2/22 meeting. Not sure where this project stands. It's possible Tesla is focusing their limited supercharger development resources for the moment on other projects such as Lawrence, Lynnfield and Provincetown, MA. Definitely still monitoring Dedham for updates regularly though.
Thanks for tracking the local updates and letting us know what's happening.

So, after a long wait, Tesla reappeared before the Dedham Planning Board this evening, 9/13/23. It was shared that the property owner has performed a number of site improvements to address the concerns shared by the Planning Board at the February meeting. It seems that hurdle has been cleared. There were a number of questions asked of Tesla about snow removal concerns, site utilization, the desire to have a trash receptacle included and most importantly, if the superchargers would be able to charge non-Teslas. Tesla finally has and shared a good response to this with the auto manufacturers coming onboard with NACS. There was no mention by Tesla of any reference to including CCS capabilities (Magic Dock).

After a thirty minute presentation and Q&A, it was left that Tesla would come back before the Planning Board at a future meeting for approval with a few changes as discussed at this meeting. This project could be approved at the October meeting if Tesla is able to meet the submission deadlines. I'm sure they are desperate to get this site built to address the utilization issues at the service center supercharger nearby.

One other point. I think the Planning Board asked about their being two transformers vs. one. It was asked while Tesla was away from the desk mic, but I believe it was stated two transformers were required for this project due to outdated Eversource infrastructure in the area dictating it. Personally, I still think part of the reason for the 750KVA + 500KVA transformer pair is to ensure the site can deliver sustained high charging output to the full site to support the nearby service center and pre-delivery charging likely to be occurring here. I could be way off base on this of course.

Tesla came before the planning board this evening 10/25/2023. The plan was approved - with building permits being the next step. Their goal is to start construction ASAP (no surprise!).

Trash cans will be included at the site. The PB was interested in having motion sensing lighting at the site (vs. on all night).

This will be a huge benefit for Tesla pre-delivery charging, and of course for owners in the area and/or coming through the area in need of a charge.

Between this and the Canton site, the southern portion of 128 is getting major improvements!
While that is true, speaking as a long-time resident of the Dedham/Westwood/Norwood area, Rt 128 travelers will most likely be happier going to Canton as the traffic between 128 and the new Dedham Supercharger site most times of the day, through all the lights and shopping areas, will often be tedious at best. But if they like Chik-Fil-A, then never mind the traffic.

• Funny
While that is true, speaking as a long-time resident of the Dedham/Westwood/Norwood area, Rt 128 travelers will most likely be happier going to Canton as the traffic between 128 and the new Dedham Supercharger site most times of the day, through all the lights and shopping areas, will often be tedious at best. But if they like Chik-Fil-A, then never mind the traffic.
I love me some Lamberts

This project came before the Dedam Design Review Advisory Board this evening. Nothing significant came up. It was noted the planning board was still working to issue the certificate of action which was the formal approval before Tesla could apply for building permits.