Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger - Denton, Tx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But how can we be sure there aren't construction flags and chalk lines at the site yet, with no pictures?
Don't make me come up there! :p

J/K, thanks for the weekly news burst!

To your point, I decided to scope it out and see if anything is going on. I didn't expect there would be. Just took the photo below of the supposed spot of the construction.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 508
Rule_of_72 beat me to it, but I had nothing better to do on my day off so I took a trip to the (supposed) Denton Supercharger location.

dentonlabels.jpg

At the top is the area where Rule_of_72 shot his pics. There is a transformer there but not really enough room for a second transformer and a cage of superchargers. I doubt that Tesla would use an existing transformer because of the amount of power required for superchargers, but I'm no lineman. It seems more likely (based on the address) that they would put it on the left side of the sat image although there is not much space there because of drainage.

PossibleArea.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Newbie poster...sorry.

Now why this spot? Well, there are eight parking spots and because this is so close to I-35 it would be insanity for them to install four spaces. I would think six at a bare minimum. Eight is a good sweet spot although because the area is confined there wouldn't really be any room for expansion. Depending on how long the DC wiring can be the charger cage and new transformer could go in the area just south of the parking below the Walmart gas station. It does fly in the face of Tesla superchargers being farther away from businesses since these eight spots are so close to the building and without knowing where the underground electric utilities are it's anybody's guess. This is just some speculation on my part.

Once we get word that the construction has started I can go up there and take photos of the progress. I work from home and it's a good excuse to get out on my day off. :cool:

My point was that address is a building with many businesses in it. That address could be a leasing office for the all or part of the property. There is a ton of construction in that area so it wouldn't surprise me. Depending on who owns that address the supercharger site could be right next door to the building like I guessed on the satellite image, or if it's a leasing office for the entire property it could be on the far side of the parking lot. There is really no way to tell until they break ground. It's just fun to guess. :wink:

I went to OKC yesterday, so I posted updated pics on that Super Charger thread, and looked at the Denton Super Charger location on my way up. The storm water part of the application is still in "pending" status, but it appears the utility locator service has already painted where the power lines are at the site:
20150722_143102-1.jpg

20150722_143004-1.jpg

20150722_142925-1.jpg

Thanks Jay for the research.

Based on the proximity to a sizable number of shopping and food locations they are really going to need some of these in Denton:

View attachment 88338

We also need these kind signs in destination charging locations in Dallas.

The other day I was staying at NYLO in Las Colinas and all the charging stations were ICE'd. I had to wait till 9.30pm for one of the ICE car owners to take his car from the Tesla charging spot.

When I approached him he said " Sorry man I did not know this is EV charging spot" :eek:

What the heck I will pay for towing those ICE cars as well:biggrin:

We also need these kind signs in destination charging locations in Dallas.

The other day I was staying at NYLO in Las Colinas and all the charging stations were ICE'd. I had to wait till 9.30pm for one of the ICE car owners to take his car from the Tesla charging spot.

When I approached him he said " Sorry man I did not know this is EV charging spot" :eek:

What the heck I will pay for towing those ICE cars as well:biggrin:

I suppose we could start carrying around the signs and putting them up. Stick them over the top of ever other red sign.

I often wonder whether towing companies pick up cars for free based on the money-making scam the run.

Oh man, I love this idea of putting a SC in Wichita Falls. LOVE LOVE!

Yes, they really need one either in Wichita Falls, or Vernon / Quanah. It might actually be better in Vernon, since it is uphill to the next SC in Amarillo. Vernon would still be in reach of Denton.

But the absolute BEST place would be ELECTRA, TEXAS

It is 198 miles to Amarillo. Could make it easily to Amarillo's SC , even up hill.

It is less than 180 miles to Dallas, so could make it from homes in Dallas.

Plus, the name !! Electra! Only in Texas !

Electra, Tx is not a bad compromise (although those with a 60 might disagree). It is on about 128 miles from Denton, and a probably possible in the dead of winter 198 miles with an 85 to Amarillo (if Amarillo ever materializes as a SC stop). Another nail-biter like Shamrock to Tucumcari.

But the whole direct route Dallas <-> could open up with one additional supercharger. Vernon, Tx might be a better choice as both legs (DFW <-> Amarillo) are carefree legs in an 85 regardless of the time of year.