Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dilley, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BerTX

Supporting Member
May 2, 2014
Texas/Washington
There is a Supercharger listing for Dilley, TX. I will pass through there today and look for any activity, although it would be a surprise to find anything.

Frankly, I'm a little worried about this as a SC location. Looking at the area on Google Maps, it looks to be a major supply and activity hub for the Eagle Ford shale oil business. They might see electric cars as a threat to their livelyhood.

Anyway, there are several truck stops there that might host the SC, but not any of the usual hotel candidates except a Best Western Plus.

All I have is my phone, so I'm not sure if this is planned for 2017 -- I think it is.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: emupilot and arcus
Frankly, I'm a little worried about this as a SC location. Looking at the area on Google Maps, it looks to be a major supply and activity hub for the Eagle Ford shale oil business. They might see electric cars as a threat to their livelyhood.
They should be thrilled. Texas electric cars are powered by the natural gas they extract (and coal, nuclear & wind), not imported oil.

Nothing to report in the way of "surprise" installations. As I noted above, there are a few likely sites, but no activity.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sorry, we've been saying this all day...

There you go using logic again, and assuming others do, too.

I work for a major operator in Eagleford, Permian and other on and offshore oil & gas fields.

There are 3 or more Teslas in our HQ parking garage in Houston. Mine is one.

I tend to find that most geoscientists think that man made climate change is a thing, and are perhaps more aware than most that energy needs to be produced and used responsibly.

I work for a major operator in Eagleford, Permian and other on and offshore oil & gas fields.

There are 3 or more Teslas in our HQ parking garage in Houston. Mine is one.

I tend to find that most geoscientists think that man made climate change is a thing, and are perhaps more aware than most that energy needs to be produced and used responsibly.
Yes, highly unlikely they would vandalize a Tesla Supercharger or cars charging there. The other workers at the drill sites and truck drivers might feel that a non-gasoline powered car is a threat to them. They are not paid for their worldly knowledge. They can't piece together that 1/3 of the wells they drill are gas wells, and that the gas, at least for now, is what is used to generate the electricity that charges the car...

Really need this supercharger in Dilley! I have a client in Crystal City and using the new Tesla trip planner that became available today, i would need to use a crazy 10.5hr 505 mile route to get there and back, when it normally only takes around 4.5hrs and 270 miles. I guess i will need to use my wife's ICE car for those days.

Really need this supercharger in Dilley! I have a client in Crystal City and using the new Tesla trip planner that became available today, i would need to use a crazy 10.5hr 505 mile route to get there and back, when it normally only takes around 4.5hrs and 270 miles. I guess i will need to use my wife's ICE car for those days.
I'll try to go by on Monday and check if there is any activity. It's a little out of the way for my trip this weekend, but there are just not many places where it might be located.

Checked Dilley for construction. Nothing. I drove through the town this time, which I had not done before because Google Maps did not show any likely locations. That is confirmed. The only places are along I-35 --a couple of hotels and a couple of travel centers.

Best Western is by far the most amenable, with ample paved parking.
upload_2018-1-8_17-15-49.png

Yea, strange. From the Laredo supercharger (which I just requested be added to Google) the mileage isn't that far
65 > Cotulla
82 > Dilley
98 > Pearsall
154 > San Antonio city center

It could be used to connect the Three Rivers to Eagle pass, and Laredo to San Antonio but all of those destinations are about 150 miles apart and shouldn't need a super charger half way between. The problem with the valley is there are roads every which way and you could take 3 different routes with a 10 minute difference.

It is however 198 miles from laredo to san Marcos, so Cotulla may be a stop gap if there are problems getting a san antonio charger installed. that would close the San Marcos - Laredo leg from 198 miles to 133 and 65 miles. That would complete Canada to Mexico with the biggest gap remaining Kansas City(Independence, MO) to Des Moines at 195 miles.

Last edited:
Looking for a road trip tomorrow, so going to check out Dilley and Cotulla. There was some question about there being a Tesla Destination Charger in Cotulla at Taco Pelenque. There is a Plugshare listing for it, but no check-ins or photos so there was some question about whether it really existed. Found this photo taken in August 2018, so I'll check that out, too.
upload_2018-11-14_13-46-25.png

I can make it there and back with no charge, so no worries.

No SC construction in Dilley or Cotulla that I could find. I checked hotels in Cotulla as well as Travel Centers. Most of the hotels have relatively small parking lots, with a large unpaved area for truck parking.

The DC at Taco Pelenque restaurant is there and functional. I was getting 214V at 48 amps (max amps for my car), so I don't know how much juice it puts out. I thought the food was excellent -- Mexican fast food, but authentic, not Taco Bell. A bit of a conundrum with trying to L2 charge and having fast food -- I'd rather it be slow food. I walked a couple of blocks to DQ for some dessert.

No SC construction in Dilley or Cotulla that I could find. I checked hotels in Cotulla as well as Travel Centers. Most of the hotels have relatively small parking lots, with a large unpaved area for truck parking.

The DC at Taco Pelenque restaurant is there and functional. I was getting 214V at 48 amps (max amps for my car), so I don't know how much juice it puts out. I thought the food was excellent -- Mexican fast food, but authentic, not Taco Bell. A bit of a conundrum with trying to L2 charge and having fast food -- I'd rather it be slow food. I walked a couple of blocks to DQ for some dessert.

Thanks for the info!