Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Edison, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is an update from this morning. 8 Stalls are being installed. The label says GEN I so they should be 90kW however, there are 12 inverters inside. (I'm not getting anyone in trouble since a picture of the cabinet content had already been posted here: http://insideevs.com/rare-look-inside-tesla-supercharger/)

Perhaps a sticker with (120kW GEN II) will be affixed on the original label later. Still looking at two more weeks at least.

It's a little confusing, but those "Gen I" Superchargers are 120 kW when hooked up to 480 Volts and 90 kW when connected to 208 Volt 3-Phase. The "Gen II" are 135 kW, and the "Gen 0" are limited to 90 kW. The "Gen 0" Supercharger Cabinets used in the original 6 Supercharger sites could not accept 480 Volts, only 208 Volts.

Look at the label and do the math:
  1. 480V*160A*sqrt(3) = 133 kW AC, with AC->DC charger inefficiencies, that gives you 120 kW DC to the Tesla.
  2. 208V*280A*sqrt(3) = 101 kW AC, AC->DC charger with inefficiencies, that gives you 90 kW DC to the Tesla.

It's a little confusing, but those "Gen I" Superchargers are 120 kW when hooked up to 480 Volts and 90 kW when connected to 208 Volt 3-Phase. The "Gen II" are 135 kW, and the "Gen 0" are limited to 90 kW. The "Gen 0" Supercharger Cabinets used in the original 6 Supercharger sites could not accept 480 Volts, only 208 Volts.

Look at the label and do the math:
  1. 480V*160A*sqrt(3) = 133 kW AC, with AC->DC charger inefficiencies, that gives you 120 kW DC to the Tesla.
  2. 208V*280A*sqrt(3) = 101 kW AC, AC->DC charger with inefficiencies, that gives you 90 kW DC to the Tesla.

Thank you for clarifying Butch, that makes perfect sense.
Would you happen to know how the GEN II get 135kW? It does not look like there is any more room for additional inverters there.

Thank you for clarifying Butch, that makes perfect sense.
Would you happen to know how the GEN II get 135kW? It does not look like there is any more room for additional inverters there.
I usually see this calculated as 277VAC * 40A * 12 chargers = 133kW. To get to 150kW gross, 135kW DC, you would just increase the current drawn by each charger to 45A from 40A.

Thank you for clarifying, that makes perfect sense.

That is a good question. Either they upped the maximum current to each module or increased the number of modules. My guess is the former, but until we see the inside of a Gen II, it could be the latter.

Here is a photo of the sticker on a Greenwich CT Southbound SC.

The Edison sticker seems to have a newer revision number (suffix and 3rd character in TSN). Perhaps they aren't older models?
greenwich south.JPG

I just drove from DC to Cooperstown, NY through Albany. Northbound, i used Newark, Hamilton, Merritt Pky (CT), Albany. I probably could have skipped CT, but i needed to stretch my legs anyway, the drive is beautiful, and why be worried, even in the least, about range.

Pulling a trailer, for one reason. With an empty trailer I charged to 262 miles at Hamilton, took 287 up to Suffern, NY, and then took NY17, NY32 and US9W all the way up to Colonie Center SC some 214 miles with 58 miles remaining. Reassuring since on return trip with loaded trailer I will need that 58 mile margin. Edison SC when operational will solve this issue of course.

Edison SC Monday Update

I stopped by the site this afternoon. One of the guys said they have a turnover date to Tesla on the 18th, so two weeks. I believe that does not include the time for PSEG to install the transformer and power up the site. And from Hamilton, that could be a few days or even longer. Then testing by Tesla and local inspections.

I am thinking optimistically by end of this month, or a little sooner.

Those who remember one of the delays was with the local Edison Zoning Board didn't like the fence enclosures. Not sure if the below picture is the one the Zoning Board decided on, or a revised one. But I think it looks good. It is a pre-cast cement fence/wall on three sides, and the site Foreman told me the gate/door is a really good looking (I think) aluminum design, which was not there yet. There are 3 separate area's this will be used.

Edison SC.jpg

Tesla finally agrees that DC is a good move for Edison. Remember Thomas Edison advocated for DC power while Nikola Tesla was for AC power for mass distribution. Edison developed the term "electrocution" to exaggerate the danger of AC power.

Tesla finally agrees that DC is a good move for Edison. Remember Thomas Edison advocated for DC power while Nikola Tesla was for AC power for mass distribution. Edison developed the term "electrocution" to exaggerate the danger of AC power.

Umm, I don't think so. He had coined the term of someone being "Westinghoused".. but see this link for the discussion of the word "electrocution".. see pages 160 thru 162.

Edison and the Electric Chair: A Story of Light and Death - Mark Essig - Google Books