Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Effingham, IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice! Only 164 miles to Lafayette, IN SpC.

Is this the first SpC actually ON a petrol station property? A technicality perhaps.

This reportedly is a single station (10 employees) and not part of a chain.
--

Yes it is and Tesla looks good filling up on Dino Juice

Attachments

• Effingham, Ill..jpg
    Effingham, Ill..jpg
    704.6 KB · Views: 186
I had a funny incident at this charger today. Figured I'd share:

3 weeks ago, my wife and I charged here. We were driving back from dropping our daughter off at camp in Michigan. It wasn't meal time, and we were killing time by walking around. A few hundred feet from the chargers, there's a vacant lot that had an abandoned piece of playground equipment in it. It was a slide, built like a rocket ship, probably from the 60s or 70s. Pretty striking, standing alone in the field. I took a picture of it.

I'm on my way back to pick up my daughter now. Charged at Effingham again today, and the rocket was gone! Looks like somebody cut off all the supports with a torch.

There's a sort of conference center / banquet hall that probably owns the field that the rocket sat on. I wandered into their office and asked about it. I was hoping it hadn't just been removed for scrap. Turns out that it was bought by a couple who are building a playground for a children's hospital in Kansas City. It seemed like a happy ending to me. I mentioned that I noticed it while wandering around and waiting for my car to charge. The folks in the office said "Yeah, the son of the couple who bought it drives a Tesla, too. That's how they found it in the first place."

Small world! And... if the guy who spotted the rocket reads this post, please reply! It would be a really great end to the story.

IMG_20170625_205635-EFFECTS.jpg

I had a funny incident at this charger today. Figured I'd share:

3 weeks ago, my wife and I charged here. We were driving back from dropping our daughter off at camp in Michigan. It wasn't meal time, and we were killing time by walking around. A few hundred feet from the chargers, there's a vacant lot that had an abandoned piece of playground equipment in it. It was a slide, built like a rocket ship, probably from the 60s or 70s. Pretty striking, standing alone in the field. I took a picture of it.

I'm on my way back to pick up my daughter now. Charged at Effingham again today, and the rocket was gone! Looks like somebody cut off all the supports with a torch.

There's a sort of conference center / banquet hall that probably owns the field that the rocket sat on. I wandered into their office and asked about it. I was hoping it hadn't just been removed for scrap. Turns out that it was bought by a couple who are building a playground for a children's hospital in Kansas City. It seemed like a happy ending to me. I mentioned that I noticed it while wandering around and waiting for my car to charge. The folks in the office said "Yeah, the son of the couple who bought it drives a Tesla, too. That's how they found it in the first place."

Small world! And... if the guy who spotted the rocket reads this post, please reply! It would be a really great end to the story.

View attachment 235529
So, we never let our kids get close to that thing because it looked like you could get proximity tetnus just by being around it. But a cool picture of equipment to be sure. Are you saying they are going to build a playground there now? Because that would be an even more awesome charging stop.

So, we never let our kids get close to that thing because it looked like you could get proximity tetnus just by being around it. But a cool picture of equipment to be sure. Are you saying they are going to build a playground there now? Because that would be an even more awesome charging stop.

Well, my daughter is 15, so I don't think she'd be tempted!

No; somebody bought it, will (I hope!) refurbish it, and make it part of a playground in Kansas City. As far as I know, nothing is happening to the lot in Effingham.

This charger was completely full on Dec 28, 2019. It was a bit surprising to see, as I've used it many times and I've never seen it with more than 3 cars there (including my own). Everyone was good about getting enough charge and then moving on. Never had any ICEing issues here either, despite the location, which seems ripe for it.

This charger has gone from rarely used to almost always full, especially on weekends and holidays. Really hope they upgrade it to faster charging or put another location in Effingham (the Tesla map shows one coming Q2 2023, but we all know how accurate that map is).

Moderator note: Posts related to a new Supercharger in Effingham (Avenue of Mid-America) have been moved to this thread:

@Chuq @Big Earl @tes-s Might want to update discussion link for the new site on supercharge.info.

This thread will remain for discussion about the original Effingham, IL Supercharger.

Bruce.

Reactions: Chuq