Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Emeryville, CA - Powell Street Plaza (LIVE 28 Mar 2020, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: Please limit the comments about crime in Emeryville or posts of that nature will be moved to Off Topic. While I acknowledge that there is some relevance to being concerned about crime rates in the area where a Supercharger is located, there is no point in discussing specific incidents or indulging in unsubstantiated speculation as this post did.
This was from that article: "Some of the videos showed some spectators hit by the spinning cars but there were no reports of serious injuries. Gunfire was also heard by police but no victims were found." Perhaps they stuffed the bodies in trunks and disposed of them elsewhere. Scary!
I still haven’t seen any posts from people who have visited the 5959 Shellmound Street address listed on the permit to check for construction activity. That would be relevant information. :D

Was in the area yesterday and thought about checking it out, but they had Shellmound St closed for construction.
I'm more familiar with the area south of Powell street.
While we are still waiting for the new Emeryville Tesla supercharger,
I noticed that there are 6 free Volta Level 2 stations:
- Two Level 2 stations in the Trader Joe's parking lot.
- Two Level 2 stations in the 15 min. area outside lot B entrance.
- Two Level 2 stations on level A2 on either side of the theater entrance.

All Volta free EV charging stations are Level 2 chargers with J1772 connector plugs.
No account or membership is required to charge on the Volta network.
Simply pull up and plug in.

Emeryville - Volat Stations 0 .jpg

Emeryville - Volat Stations 2 .jpg

Emeryville - Volat Stations 1 .jpg

I like it if this location is correct. We have stayed at a couple of hotels that had superchargers in the parking lot--Moab, Utah; Greenriver, Utah (next door); and Gallup, New Mexico. Actually anywhere within a couple of blocks of this location would be great!

Here’s the latest from a community blog local to Emeryville:

Public Market Updates: C CASA Opens, Nyum Bai moves on, NSM space receiving inquiries, Tesla Charging Stations - The E'ville Eye Community News

The Public Market could soon be the home to a coveted Tesla Supercharger station as noted on Tesla’s website. “We are working with Tesla on the possibility of putting in a Supercharger station here,” Public Market representatives confirmed when contacted. “However, nothing has been finalized yet.”​

Tesla has been targeting well-traveled routes including rest stops, eateries and urban centers like ours to provide Tesla owners a seamless way of fueling up. The site notes a target opening date “by end of 2018.”
The area is under heavy construction and while they just finished a building with its own parking lot there are two more buildings in the plans that go where the surface lots are currently situated next to the tracks. They probably don’t want to sacrifice any precious surface parking for the Superchargers while construction is happening, so it’s really unclear to me when/where they could be going in.

Certainly the Hyatt back parking lot would get the job done sooner, but access could be really difficult once the new construction is done. To me it all looks totally up in the air.

The Public Market could soon be the home to a coveted Tesla Supercharger station as noted on Tesla’s website. “We are working with Tesla on the possibility of putting in a Supercharger station here,” Public Market representatives confirmed when contacted. “However, nothing has been finalized yet.”​

Tesla has been targeting well-traveled routes including rest stops, eateries and urban centers like ours to provide Tesla owners a seamless way of fueling up. The site notes a target opening date “by end of 2018.”

Just sounds like someone who doesn't understand that the Tesla map locations and dates are vague representations of Tesla's intentions and not a specific plan.

In the watching paint dry category, the Community Development Report for February has this to day about the Tesla Supercharger:

Tesla Supercharging Station, 5959 Shellmound Street. A Minor Design Review application for
electric vehicle charging stations at the Public Market was submitted on October 24, 2017 (pending).

I also noticed:

Design Review Bike Share Station, 5959 Shellmound Street. A Minor Design Review
application for a bike share docking station at the Public Market was submitted on February 22 (pending).

However, the Ford GoBike (19) docks have already been installed (less than one month after approval).
I guess, the bicycle docks installation requests less construction permits than a Tesla Supercharger!
(I believe that each docking station's reservation computer is self-powered with a small solar panel.)
Bike Share | City of Emeryville, CA - Official Website

Emeryville Ford GoBike Public Market  - (Marker) .jpg

Last edited:
The report for April has the same language.

Tesla Supercharging Station, 5959 Shellmound Street. A Minor Design Review application for electric vehicle charging stations at the Public Market was submitted on October 24 , 2017 (pending).
emupilot would you be able to find any Tesla construction permit for the City of Berkeley?

I was just looking at the following video from the Berkeley City Council on 02-27-18 (see below)
and at 33:50 you can hear Jesse Arreguín Mayor of Berkeley mentioning a future Tesla service center in Berkeley.

The location was not mentioned, but I suspect that the former McNevin Cadillac & Volkswagen dealership building,
1500 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley, could be a possibility, as I noticed that a new construction started recently.

This location has been closed for more than ten years, and was used as a retail shop for some small utility EV trucks,
and later on as temporary Honda dealership. The new Honda dealer is now located 2777 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley.

Possible location (?) of futureTesla service center in Berkeley, 1500 San Pablo Ave.
1500 San Pablo Street Berkeley CA .jpg

Curbside EV charging pilot program (February 2018 Berkeley City Council)
(see at 33:50) Jesse Arreguín Mayor of Berkeley mentioning a future Tesla service center in Berkeley.

Curbside electric car charging stations arrive in Berkeley
Curbside electric car charging stations arrive in Berkeley

You can search the Berkeley building permits database here. I searched for Tesla under Project Name and nothing came up. Having public superchargers at service centers (like Dublin, the old Burbank site, Toronto - Lawrence Ave) is problematic because of the service centers' rapidly growing need for charging as part of their operations. The Emeryville pin on Tesla's Find Us map says "Target opening in Summer 2018" so I think the current site in the permitting process will eventually go forward.

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
You can search the Berkeley building permits database here.
I searched for Tesla under Project Name and nothing came up.
Having public superchargers at service centers (like Dublin, the old Burbank site, Toronto - Lawrence Ave)
is problematic because of the service centers' rapidly growing need for charging as part of their operations.
The Emeryville pin on Tesla's Find Us map says "Target opening in Summer 2018"
so I think the current site in the permitting process will eventually go forward.
Thank you for providing the City of Berkeley's building permit List.
Searching for "1500 San Pablo Avenue" I found the following information:

05/03/2017 Building Electrical Mechanical Plumbing Permit
New 5-story plus basement, mixed-use residential & commercial building:
159 dwelling units and 11 townhomes over commercial
Valuation:$30,300,000

So the former VW Cadillac building at 1500 San Pablo Avenue seems to become a residential and commercial building.
While still possible, I doubt that Tesla will have a service center at this location.