Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Emeryville, CA - Powell Street Plaza (LIVE 28 Mar 2020, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There already is the Volta charging stations there,
it's quite a bad parking lot, especially since to LEAVE you have to go completely around the moon.
There is no 'just bet back on the freeway' exit to that lot.
If they kept it over by the Public Market, the way you got there is the way you get back on the road.
But there isn't a lot of parking now near the market.
I do like it when I can see the superchargers from the freeway, perhaps that's the thinking.
I wonder if it would not be simpler to have the superchargers located two exit north, on Gilman street,
at the site of the old Pyramid brewery where a future Tesla service center is supposed to be build.

There is a large parking in front of the building, the Gilman exit is straightforward, and there are shops
like Whole Food Market, Tokyo Fish Market, Philz Coffee, REI, The North Face Outlet...

The parking lots to the east of Shellmound are destined to be new buildings. They are currently using parcels A and B for parking, parcel C I think is done and parcel D may be in progress already.

View attachment 310437

Parcel C has a parking garage with a top floor which might be an ok spot for superchargers, except there are gates and a parking entrance attendant which make it less easy to get in and out. It’d be easier to eventually use the row of parking to the north (left) of parcel F and put some chargers there.
That's dumb; they now want to weave the street through pedestrian areas rather than keeping the street away from pedestrian areas.

Just noticing the new supercharger maps are out at Tesla.com, Emeryville is now saying "Target Opening in 2019", yikes! I live in Alameda next to the new supercharger station that started construction today. It was always a race between my home and work as to which would open first. Now it is obvious.

AND there is now a new location in-between the two, Oakland. Supposed to open in 2018 as well. Exact phrase is "Target opening in 2018" That's just a few months. No thread here, no permits found, and yet it's slated to open the same time as the Alameda charger... There are many that say that perhaps it's code for "No way this is happening". Wonder what "Target opening in 2019" means, that's what the one near the cabin states.

-Randy

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrisJ

Attachments

• F3EA8856-E4DA-4A04-8F0A-E5B5AAC1E8FD.jpeg
    F3EA8856-E4DA-4A04-8F0A-E5B5AAC1E8FD.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 380
It’s been approved!!
That's just the development planning review. Tesla still haven't applied for a building permit yet. This past week I spoke to someone in Emeryville's Community Development planning office familiar with this project. They identified the exact location within the parking lot where the superchargers will go (see attached images). I forgot to ask how many stalls were planned :oops:, though they might not have told me anyways. They did tell me that their office didn't have any real idea on what the timeline/expected install date would be. From their latest info, Tesla was still working with the electrical utility on preplanning and an actual construction/building permit hadn't yet been applied for.

So, the approval listed in the September report is forward progress but don't take it to mean that construction/installation is necessarily imminent. :( IMO, we won't see ground broken this year but I could certainly be surprised. Wouldn't be the first time.

Attachments

• Emeryville location_highlight.jpg
    Emeryville location_highlight.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 244
  • Emeryville loc2_highlight.jpg
    Emeryville loc2_highlight.jpg
    818.6 KB · Views: 243
They identified the exact location within the parking lot where the superchargers will go (see attached images).
This is a very good location both about access from freeway Powell street exit, and shops, like Trade and Joe's,
and near by the Bay Street Emeryville shopping center. It will be also close to ikea, Target, Best Buy, Home Depot...

- There are 8 + 4 parking spots on the north side of this parking alley.

This side parking lot was the location of the former Circuit City car radio installation shop.
(see the new painted wall facing the last 4 parking spots)

Emerryville West view .jpg

- On the south side, which was not mentionned on the previous posting there are also 11 spots, but 8 have a 30 mn time limit.

Emerryville East view .jpg

- I wonder how a waitning line can be formed since tha access is facing the main parking lot entrance.

Emerryville Entrance view .jpg

- There is also a back alley for delivery trucks, and where a lot of cars parked there on weekend.

Emerryville Back alley view .jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
The Oakland one has been there a while. I'd guess it ends up in a parking garage in some of the new construction going up. I'd prefer a location like the rooftop parking at the Safeway at Broadway/Pleasant Valley.
This would be a prime charging location given the upper parking lot is underutilized and the additional retail going in where the previous Safeway was.

I wonder how a waiting line can be formed.
Perhaps, or even likely, it will be a V3 Supercharger, so you won't have to wait long to charge then the next person will go. If the 30-minute spots remain they could be used while waiting, not every lot I have been to causes a line to form when full. Also, rumors of a Virtual Valet that tracks your arrival time and indicates when it's your turn to charge could cut down on Sunnyvale Supercharger style lines that form on both sides of the chargers blocking all sorts of traffic.

-Randy

I had asked a friend who drives past this location for their daily commute go by to look things over back in early January. Specifically, I asked them to look for utility survey markings. Nothing then. This afternoon I got a call telling me they happened by again today and remembered that I had asked them to look before. When they went to go check again, this time they saw that there now ARE survey markings in the section of the parking lot where the supercharger is going to go. Since they hadn't been by there since Jan., they weren't sure how recent the markings were but said the paint looked pretty fresh. Unfortunately, no pics were taken.

Could be that construction will be starting here in the not too distant future.

I had asked a friend who drives past this location for their daily commute go by to look things over back in early January. Specifically, I asked them to look for utility survey markings. Nothing then. This afternoon I got a call telling me they happened by again today and remembered that I had asked them to look before. When they went to go check again, this time they saw that there now ARE survey markings in the section of the parking lot where the supercharger is going to go. Since they hadn't been by there since Jan., they weren't sure how recent the markings were but said the paint looked pretty fresh. Unfortunately, no pics were taken.

Could be that construction will be starting here in the not too distant future.

Nothing as of 6/1/19. There were some markings in the area but not sure if related to the supercharger.

Attachments

• 8B9A175F-736F-4048-A060-3FA57E47B48D.jpeg
    8B9A175F-736F-4048-A060-3FA57E47B48D.jpeg
    718.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 2C92AAFA-E638-4847-BBF5-8AC90A45F7BB.jpeg
    2C92AAFA-E638-4847-BBF5-8AC90A45F7BB.jpeg
    569.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 291C6D2B-1431-4865-A116-BEBB9DFCC2BC.jpeg
    291C6D2B-1431-4865-A116-BEBB9DFCC2BC.jpeg
    786.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 29A53082-A812-4BF9-9A8E-B8733AF49B65.jpeg
    29A53082-A812-4BF9-9A8E-B8733AF49B65.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
This picture of a sign Tesla put out at the Dublin Supercharger was posted in that thread by @jboy210. Maybe there's some movement on Emeryville? All the rest of the listed locations are either well into construction or just waiting on their utility transformer and electrical hook-up. Anyone been by in the past month?

20190711_123213-jpg.430011

• Informative
Reactions: emupilot
Maybe there's some movement on Emeryville? All the rest of the listed locations are either well into construction or just waiting on their utility transformer and electrical hook-up. Anyone been by in the past month?
Had my friend swing past again. No activity or visible change yet. At least not anything supercharger related, but he may be increasingly concerned about my weirdo interest in Tesla superchargers.

(apologies for 3 consecutive posts)

So, since my friend's site visits hadn't turned up anything (see above), I called the Emeryville building dept. to ask about the status and was told some interesting info. I was told that there are actually building permit applications for 2 different Superchargers in Emeryville. The first is for the location we've been recently discussing, and that permit has been approved but not yet actually issued. So, once Tesla is ready to move on it, there shouldn't really be any significant barriers to getting started. Which probably is explanation enough for Emeryville being listed on that sign of local coming soon superchargers.

The second location is for a supercharger in the nearby Public Market complex. That one is still In Review and working its way through that process, not yet approved. I think that location was one of the ones that was originally under discussion in this thread as well, but when we saw a new address in some of the city filings we assumed that it had changed locations. I'm guessing we were wrong and that there were just always 2 applications (either that or the Public Market location was dropped by Tesla without them officially dropping it and just left to indefinitely sit on the back burner. But that wasn't really the sense I got when speaking to the building official). No information on exact siting of that supercharger within the Public Market complex or on the number of stalls was given.

EDIT: here's a pic showing just how close the locations would be (but the green "custom" pin for Public Market is just on the main building, since we don't yet know which parking lot/garage it may go in)

Supercharger- Emeryville No2.JPG

Last edited:
We have construction! It is located partly on the south side of Marshall's (between it and Petco) and partly behind the stores along the freeway off-ramp. There are trenches, lots of conduit, and a few wood forms but no cabinets or other Tesla specific equipment. There is a transformer, but I'm pretty sure it is for existing stores and not the supercharger.

Attachments

• 20190810_133542.jpg
    20190810_133542.jpg
    461 KB · Views: 121
  • 20190810_133655.jpg
    20190810_133655.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 20190810_133715.jpg
    20190810_133715.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 20190810_133755.jpg
    20190810_133755.jpg