Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Erie, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully this will be complete by mid-March when we're taking our second Tesla trip to Florida. Last year was painful and we needed to plan an overnight charge in Erie (since Buffalo also wasn't available). On the way back we completed the Cranberry, PA to Buffalo route driving slowly and arrived with about 20 kms left so this charger would make this part of the route much easier and faster.

Nice! I've been waiting for this. I make this trip a lot and includes Buffalo to Macedonia, just came through there last Thursday night, charged to 100% in Buffalo and limped into Macedonia. The exit was closed and had to take the next exit to get to the Macedonia Supercharger. Drove 5 miles at 0, but DON'T do this, I was able to get away with it due to a severly unbalanced pack from daily charge limits of 60% in summer and 70% in winter. See the pic of my result.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    975.8 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Nice! I've been waiting for this. I make this trip a lot and includes Buffalo to Macedonia, just came through there last Thursday night, charged to 100% in Buffalo and limped into Macedonia. The exit was closed and had to take the next exit to get to the Macedonia Supercharger. Drove 5 miles at 0, but DON'T do this, I was able to get away with it due to a severly unbalanced pack from daily charge limits of 60% in summer and 70% in winter. See the pic of my result.

What app is that?

Looks like it's an IOS app for $9.99. I wonder if this is another unsupported app like Visible Tesla that would be subject to blocking by the Tesla servers at any time?

It is. Anything using the Tesla API that isn't the official Tesla app for iOS or the official Tesla beta app for android could theoretically be blocked at any time. That being said, since the issues of about a year ago, I don't think anyone has really been reporting any blocking problems. There is a very long thread on Remote S, and I'm pretty sure blocking has not been an issue.

Except that you have to take a 21 mile detour south on I-271 to reach the Macedonia Supercharger! Never understood the logic of that placement.

Yes, Macedonia adds about 20 miles to the I-90 route, but it's much better positioned than that for travelers taking I-80, I-76, I-77, or I-71. Once they cover the direct routes across New York and Pennsylvania, the traffic density through Cleveland might get high enough to need another supercharger, which could be in Lorain, where it would serve most of those travelers and make I-90 more convenient, as well.

For now, if you have the battery for the 210 miles from Erie to Maumee, it might be better to spend those 20 extra minutes charging than driving.

Yes, Macedonia adds about 20 miles to the I-90 route, but it's much better positioned than that for travelers taking I-80, I-76, I-77, or I-71. Once they cover the direct routes across New York and Pennsylvania, the traffic density through Cleveland might get high enough to need another supercharger, which could be in Lorain, where it would serve most of those travelers and make I-90 more convenient, as well.

For now, if you have the battery for the 210 miles from Erie to Maumee, it might be better to spend those 20 extra minutes charging than driving.

Actually, it's about 24 miles to Macedonia from I-90 and a similar distance back. So, if you need to continue on I-90 the detour costs about 48 miles! If you have the range it will be much more efficient to go directly from Erie to Maumee.

Actually, it's about 24 miles to Macedonia from I-90 and a similar distance back. So, if you need to continue on I-90 the detour costs about 48 miles! If you have the range it will be much more efficient to go directly from Erie to Maumee.

According to Google maps, the distance from Erie to Maumee is 210 miles and the distance with a stop in Macedonia is 228 miles, so the detour adds 18 miles. No need to drive back to I-90 from Macedonia, just follow I-80 to where they merge near Lorain.

Reactions: Sgt Barone
Tesla is going to do it to me again. Last year I was hoping to drive from Rochester,NY to Columbus,OH in my 85S with a friend at the end of May for a yearly trip. I thought I had it locked when they announced it would be done before end of 2014. When they took a month to get hooked to the electrical grid my friend and I took his ICE.
This year once again the promise of a permit dangles in front of us to ease the travel between Clarence and Macedonia. I can just see where this is headed, oy!

Tesla is going to do it to me again. Last year I was hoping to drive from Rochester,NY to Columbus,OH in my 85S with a friend at the end of May for a yearly trip. I thought I had it locked when they announced it would be done before end of 2014. When they took a month to get hooked to the electrical grid my friend and I took his ICE.
This year once again the promise of a permit dangles in front of us to ease the travel between Clarence and Macedonia. I can just see where this is headed, oy!

I think a lot have made it, particularly in mild weather.

Of course you'll probably have to range charge at the supercharger which may be too much of a pita...

Am I missing something?

Buffalo -> Macedonia 203 miles
Macedonia -> Grove City 140 miles

Erie shouldn't be needed except in the winter.