Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Federal Way, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, would not have expected this given how close it is to Auburn. The address in the one call ticket is the shopping center/set of strip malls near the Total Wine. Across the street is the Commons Mall which sports 3 long since destroyed/decommissioned blink chargers outside of the former Sears.

Just a few minutes south is a Walmart which is host to a set of EA fast chargers that have been "under construction" and completely untouched for over a year now.

I'll keep an eye on the location, as well as the City of Federal Way permits.

(I'll give you one guess what the "FW" in my username stands for)

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0
Now confirmed as a supercharger. The permit is ready to issue, the contractor just has to go pay the outstanding fees balance and pick it up. So work could start at pretty much any time now.

Easiest way to see the permit is to search for Tesla as a company in the Federal Way permit portal.

upload_2020-10-7_11-32-27.png

@Chuq @MarcoRP

Was just going to come post this... this is an odd location. Very close to another supercharger, but I guess density might call for another one there. Odd they didn't try to find something closer to Tacoma, unless that's still in the cards in the future. I'm loving all these new WA/OR superchargers, but a little sad they all seem to be over on that side of the states. Still no Yakima and still no Boardman :(

The shopping center is separated into several lots. The permit says lot C, which matches the description of this parcel: King County Department of Assessments: eReal Property

I've marked the lot in red:
WBLZhJQ.png

Not where I would have placed it, to be honest. This is weird!!

GPS coordinates: 47.311909, -122.315170

Though I would never have guessed putting one here, I drove around the shopping center about an hour ago and there must have been 6 or 7 Teslas parked throughout.

Last edited:
It’s close to Auburn but more convenient for people traveling 5. I’ll probably use this one a lot on trips going between Seattle and points south, and I only use Auburn on trips between Seattle and Mt Rainier. I watched a video of a family from Vancouver BC that went to Auburn on their way to the OR coast and it seemed like a big detour to me (though they could’ve planned it differently and charged before Seattle then in Tumwater or south).

Reactions: Potpourri
Was just going to come post this... this is an odd location. Very close to another supercharger, but I guess density might call for another one there. Odd they didn't try to find something closer to Tacoma, unless that's still in the cards in the future. I'm loving all these new WA/OR superchargers, but a little sad they all seem to be over on that side of the states. Still no Yakima and still no Boardman :(
While it is close to the Auburn supercharger, many people are traveling I-5 or 99 and never traveling on 167. Obviously with traffic diverting to 167 can be onerous. I think it's mostly just added density, but having one near I-5 makes sense.

Also, I still think they will put something in Tacoma, probably at or near the Tacoma Mall (which is near the interchange with highway 16), but they may also try something further south like Lakewood or Dupont. I had previously thought they might put one at Hawks Prairie, but with one going in in another part of Lacey, this seems unlikely for now.

And LOL at your pleas for Boardman. We get it, man, but this is fairly off-topic in this thread.

The shopping center is separated into several lots. The permit says lot C, which matches the description of this parcel: King County Department of Assessments: eReal Property

WBLZhJQ.png

Though I would never have guessed putting one here, I drove around the shopping center about an hour ago and there must have been 6 or 7 Teslas parked throughout.
Weird why? It's right off 99 and a very small diversion from a major exit off I-5 (S 320th).

Weird why? It's right off 99 and a very small diversion from a major exit off I-5 (S 320th).

I think it's weird that it's going in a collection of strip malls with limited parking instead of across the street at the mall that has plenty of parking. The Commons always seems to have a ton of cars in the lot, but not so much in the back around Dicks and Macy's. It seems like much more of an imposition on existing parking at celebration center.

I agree, for those travelling I-5, this will be much better than Auburn. I sometimes drive from Bellingham to Olympia and back and this would be a great place to charge on the return trip. As it stands now, I typically hit the point I need to charge when I get to the Lynnwood area and that area has mostly just 72kW chargers. I mostly look forward to chargers at Northgate though.

Reactions: Potpourri

WBLZhJQ.png

Based on the coordinates, that box is correct. I was inside the red box when I took the attached photos.

The first is looking East, South 324th is on my right, Hwy 99 is straight ahead.

0EFAD830-A9F3-4E44-A7E3-19BCFD0B7435.jpeg
5D343D3F-F29D-4F8D-ACA5-D67A31D245AB.jpeg
AE8D41F1-64F4-4958-822A-3A94FEE69BEF.jpeg
C4536763-4960-43DA-85BA-8BD418BF75A6.jpeg
E867053E-546B-4E9C-BC81-C58AE1BCFF31.jpeg
E6A15AEE-DDCF-46FA-B4DA-25EE7D0B553F.jpeg
572FFCA2-6E8E-4ED5-A896-755175CB33B6.jpeg

I took a drive to see if I could find any of the utility locate markings, and I actually stumbled upon construction! Unsure if it is related construction. Maybe someone with an eye for these things could give an opinion. @PLUS EV ?

It is actually on the opposite end of the shopping center from where I expected, up by the rite aid.
Marked with a red circle on the map:
om5AyT4.png

Construction pictures at this imgur album link: Possible FW Supercharger Construction?

I think this cut out strip of pavement looks like trenching seen at other supercharger construction sites.
yi9dy2g.jpg

I took a drive to see if I could find any of the utility locate markings, and I actually stumbled upon construction! Unsure if it is related construction. Maybe someone with an eye for these things could give an opinion. @PLUS EV ?

It is actually on the opposite end of the shopping center from where I expected, up by the rite aid.
om5AyT4.png

Construction pictures at this imgur album link: Possible FW Supercharger Construction?

I think this cut out strip of pavement looks like trenching seen at other supercharger construction sites.
yi9dy2g.jpg
Looks a little more disruptive than a typical supercharger build, but the trench is definitely interesting.

I actually drove through the lot a few nights ago and didn't see anything! But it was dark and I was distracted by passengers so I wasn't totally thorough.

om5AyT4.png

yi9dy2g.jpg

That matches the info they gave on the One Call very closely. I think I’ve also seen a few directional digging permits go out, so this location may require a bit more work than others.