Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fountain Valley (LIVE 28 Aug 2015, Expanded 27 Oct 2017, 16 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could be mistaken but unfortunately I think this supercharger now has become "locals" favorite. I was passing by today(Sunday) at 4 pm and all the stalls were occupied. I highly doubt all were travelers but most likely Costco shoppers. It would be very unfortunate if this SC becomes like SJC and occupied by locals especially during peak use hours. I am local to this charger and have charged there few times when I was in rush and needed to top off but not during peak hours. I hope I am wrong but this is not a good thing to see especially if you are a traveler and get to this SC needing a charge and all stalls are occupied.

I could be mistaken but unfortunately I think this supercharger now has become "locals" favorite. I was passing by today(Sunday) at 4 pm and all the stalls were occupied. I highly doubt all were travelers but most likely Costco shoppers. It would be very unfortunate if this SC becomes like SJC and occupied by locals especially during peak use hours. I am local to this charger and have charged there few times when I was in rush and needed to top off but not during peak hours. I hope I am wrong but this is not a good thing to see especially if you are a traveler and get to this SC needing a charge and all stalls are occupied.

If one needs a little charge and you have a CHAdeMO adapter, I just tested the Schneider Electric CHAdeMO at 1660 Scenic Ave, Costa Mesa, CA 92626. This charger is available to the public after work hours (check plug share notes) and it give a decent 118 miles per hour. I was getting 42.7kW of charging.

Works in a pinch and weekend daytime. (It's in an industrial park, don't know how it looks at night.)

Here's a picture

21588995961_906cfaf998_c.jpgCharging a @TeslaMotors Model S on a Nissan Branded CHAdeMO DCFC at Schneider Electric about half a mile from Supercharger by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Last edited:

I would expect Orange County SCs to continue to be saturated and am somewhere between bemused and disappointed that yet again, locals are being unnecessarily persecuted. OC has perhaps the highest # of Teslas of any county/parish/district in North America. Combine that with the facts that San Diego County is also woefully underserved and that Los Angeles County has ZERO saturation problems at present in part because it has had 3 SCs for almost a year now, and it really is no surprise that the TWO SCs in OC would be busy at peak times.

Perhaps we are all a bit spoiled. I would much rather wait, say, 15 min (oh, the horror) to begin a charge than for the 20-30 min I waited at Costco to start pumping gas. I get things done while charging - can't do that waiting in line at Costco. And fwiw, nobody ever sounded the alarm that those darned locals were clogging the Costco *gas* stations at peak shopping hours. People will wait.

Please understand - I'm not saying that all of the OC is a bedroom community/county and that everyone commutes great distances - but if there was any of this virtually non-existent abuse, you'd be much more likely to see it during the week.

Finally, I have a friend who is in the process of selling his Corvette (the *second-most* owner-satisfied vehicle - hehe) and he may end up with a Tesla for his new 3x/wk commute from his garaged home in Hermosa Beach to Carlsbad. Guess where he's going to top off unless and until they get office Level 2s?

i do have to applaud Tesla for not getting sucked into this handwringing fray. Once the nascent commitment to DENSITY as well as distance builds out, combined with more SvCs/DCs getting SCs (yep) and HPWCs (some of both will be available for after-hours or in-a-pinch use), and combined with greater range (an S100 will have almost 50 miles more range than an S85), it seems entirely plausible that the network in dense areas will keep up with demand. Remember, most owners don't SC unless traveling and it's doubtful that the base Model 3 will even have SC access enabled.

No need to chase ghosts in the meantime. Still skeptical? Don't guess. *Talk* to those charging at SJC or FV at these "peak times". You may be surprised at what you discern :).

Last edited:
Again, as I have posted before, I am interested to see if SJC traffic has diminished since the FV go-live. If so, that could meant the the "locals" who are using it, are those that are actually making a commute (small or large, I really don't care). I have no issue with that. If you are commuting along a route, use the SC. If you live nearby, charge at home if you can. If you can charge at home, and still want an "opportunity" charge, please do so, but MOVE YOUR CAR when you are done, or don't do it if others are waiting. What I'm a doing? No one here reading this would leave their car parked at a SC. Only those who don't read this forum would do so.

@TaoJones

I was not trying to point fingers or shame anyone for using this SC as I admitted myself using this SC as well when I needed to but I do think that it is an issue when someone who is shopping at Costco comes and plugs in and leaves when they actually don't need a charge but are just doing in to save few $$. There is no reason a non local should wait for 15 minutes for a stall to open because although there are many Owners in OC, many don't need to charge at FV or SJC for their commute. The point I am trying to make is that people should not plug in during peak hours if they actually don't need a charge. Yes, it is very convenient to plug in for an hour and charge for an hour while shopping at Costco, but that is not what SC are intended for, especially during peak times.

@TaoJones

... The point I am trying to make is that people should not plug in during peak hours if they actually don't need a charge. ...

Agreed.

If only people would use courtesy and common sense, neither one of which appear to be all that common anymore. Even more damaging however are owners who do not vacate *immediately* once their charge is complete. ICEing can just torpedo any capacity planning whatsoever. I have zero problem with public shaming of ICEing, probably because I perceive it to be a much greater and present problem than presented by those few garaged locals who charge at SCs when they don't have to. The collateral damage to which I object in particular is that endured by the non-garaged local, who *to this day* has been welcomed with open arms by Tesla to use SCs as their primary source of charging if no other is available at home or at the office.

Happily, all indications support that the problem of garaged locals charging unnecessarily is small. And it's possible that Tesla may change policies with regard to new buyers. However, I'd think they'd target livery usage first. All of this matters not outside areas of density. How does one know if they live in an area that is, um, dense? Count the number of SvCs and SCs and turnout at owner club events, for starters.

To your point, it would seem that ICEing would indeed be more likely by warehouse shoppers only because an average Costco visit can easily exceed the average charge time at an SC. It's a delicate dance - while I wish Tesla would just contract with national and regional truckstop/travel center chains (and hotels) to complete the DISTANCE component of the network, by definition the effort gets more dicey in the metro areas. Local hotel placements have been generally good (Hilton, Marriott), and, conversely, placements at malls have been generally huge conflicts of interest (get in and get out versus come in and stay awhile).

In the end, education and enforcement will probably win the day. Until then, perhaps a technological solution will rise to the fore.

I also edited my post above to clarify that by "Costco stations" I meant gas stations, which have become a nice example of self-leveling demand and utilization.

- - - Updated - - -

Since there is no line, how would wait for a stall, let say 15 mins wait? It would suck if u park near by and the minute one open someone else pull in before you can

True. So far, the honor system seems to work well at SJC (really the only SC that has been regularly
saturated due to reasons already discussed, little of which has anything to do with locals). All one has to do is to figure out who's been waiting the least, and then you're next after that person. Interestingly, Tesla has sent "concierges" to some key SCs during holiday weekends - clearly their role is to help queue and maybe to gather data not already logged and to elicit owner feedback and profile info.

Sorry, but if I go to this Costco, AND I am in need of a charge, I will definitely be using this SC. Besides, I am usually in and out of Costco in 30 minutes or so. I have that place down. No distractions. Strictly business. I could be faster if there weren't so many yahoos blocking aisles.
Now, if I could use a charge, but do not necessarily NEED one, then I still may choose to opportunity charge, as long as there as other free spaces. If, OTOH, it is looking busy, I would forego charging, and allow others traveling through to get in.

I was here around 3pm today. It was full, someone pulled out of 1A and indicated it wasn't charging very fast. Plugged in and was doing about 200 amps probably due to sharing.

I also drove by san juan earlier in the day not to charge but on the way somewhere and there were 6 or 7 cars charging.

I was here around 3pm today. It was full, someone pulled out of 1A and indicated it wasn't charging very fast. Plugged in and was doing about 200 amps probably due to sharing.

I also drove by san juan earlier in the day not to charge but on the way somewhere and there were 6 or 7 cars charging.
While some people complain that the 405 has been getting too much attention, I counter that there is not enough. My suspicion is that if each of these locations had 12 stalls that they still will be close to full most of the time. I hope Tesla is looking at another location in the OC. Heck, I hope they are looking for several.

Pulled into 1A here and twice got a cable fault error. I called it in to the 800 number and they said there have been reported several issues with 1A. So use at your own risk until it's fixed. Nice to pull in and see new owners with their Zero Emissions plates.

So so where are the closest bathrooms at 9pm?

Retail Hours, Fountain Valley Shopping Center, as per YELP
Looks like something is open most days from 5:00 am til 11:00 pm

Anyone care to post a few more site photos?

Taco Bell
Mon6:00 am - 11:00 pm
Tue6:00 am - 11:00 pm
Wed6:00 am - 11:00 pm
Thu6:00 am - 11:00 pm
Fri6:00 am - 11:00 pm
Sat7:00 am - 10:00 pm
Sun7:00 am - 10:00 pm
Souplantation
Mon11:00 am - 9:00 pm
Tue11:00 am - 9:00 pm
Wed11:00 am - 9:00 pm
Thu11:00 am - 9:00 pm
Fri11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Sat11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Sun9:00 am - 9:00 pm
Petsmart:
Mon9:00 am - 9:00 pm
Tue9:00 am - 9:00 pm
Wed9:00 am - 9:00 pm
Thu9:00 am - 9:00 pm
Fri9:00 am - 9:00 pm
Sat9:00 am - 9:00 pm
Sun10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Starbucks:
Mon5:00 am - 9:00 pm
Tue5:00 am - 9:00 pm
Wed5:00 am - 9:00 pm
Thu5:00 am - 9:00 pm
Fri5:00 am - 7:30 pm
Sat5:30 am - 7:30 pm
Sun5:00 am - 9:00 pm
McDonalds:
Mon5:00 am - 11:00 pm
Tue5:00 am - 11:00 pm
Wed5:00 am - 11:00 pm
Thu5:00 am - 11:00 pm
Fri5:00 am - 11:00 pm
Sat5:00 am - 11:00 pm
Sun6:00 am - 10:00 pm

If anyone is looking for a great car wash near the Fountain Valley SC, head west 5-ish miles on Talbert to Magnolia. They have a semi-secret TESLA WASH that isn't on the menu. A $50 all-hand wash (they don't use the tunnel for teslas) for $25 (see receipt below). Highly recommend it, I've been a customer for years and the service has gotten better when mgmt changed earlier this year.
2015-10-12.jpg

I really gotta wonder. We've been by FV a few times recently as we do a lot of AZ to CA travel. Every time, this place is packed by locals? (I assume, since the cars are not covered in bugs like ours ;). Our car is the one which was moved forward, I did it to take the pic, to make way for the local lady waiting for a spot. We did get a full-rate charge after pulling into the only available space, because the car we were paired with was no longer charging. It was still there 45 minutes later when we got back ready to go. In fact there were 3-4 cars I recognized as still there when we got back to our 90% charged car ready to move on to Laguna.

I mean, I don't honestly care about locals charging. I still believe in the concept of superchargers as part of a solar-powered transportation infrastructure which I hope the Company still has in mind. Energy Positive, eventually.

But doesn't anyone have anything better to do with their time on a weekend morning than sit in a coffee shop while their car charges? Petsmart wasn't even open, so can't use dog treats as an excuse. I mean really, I have sooo many more interesting things to do than charge my car at a strip mall. Heck, it's all I can do to write forum posts (awesome as this forum is)!

One guy last Sunday was even washing his car while it was plugged in. Does he hate his wife that much? Or are there just a lot of apartment dwellers in the area who can't charge and detail their own car, in their own garage?

At least just move your car when you get the notification that it's done charging. That's common courtesy. Remember common courtesy? Like your mom taught... Oh, never mind. It's because it helps the next person who has nothing better to do, get their charge on. That's why.

The best thing was a few weeks ago, when this couple pulled in with a Fiat, and were yelling at each other, the lady with the supercharger cable in her hand looking for where to plug it in. Arms flailing around, what a lifestyle! Funny stuff.

IMG_6968.JPG

I stopped by today at 1:20pm for the first time to try and get a charge at this location. All eight spots were taken. There were two cars waiting. I would have been the third. Of those eight cars charging, only two people were inside their cars. The other 6 were empty. I did not hang around, as I had enough to get to Redondo Beach. There, I got the last spot. 7 of the 8 cars had drivers sitting in their cars, which was nice because 3 spots opened while I was there.

One guy last Sunday was even washing his car while it was plugged in. Does he hate his wife that much? Or are there just a lot of apartment dwellers in the area who can't charge and detail their own car, in their own garage?
I don't think you can necessarily draw the conclusion that he was an apartment dweller, or even a local. If this was last Sunday (25th), that guy was me, trying to get some of the bugs off after the long drive down I-5 from the Bay Area (and get enough charge to get back to Tejon.) Also, I happen to love my wife.

p4CBSiF.jpg

The Souplantation that's directly across from this SC is really good, BTW. Going to try Istanbul Grill next time I'm down.

I don't think you can necessarily draw the conclusion that he was an apartment dweller, or even a local. If this was last Sunday (25th), that guy was me, trying to get some of the bugs off after the long drive down I-5 from the Bay Area (and get enough charge to get back to Tejon.) Also, I happen to love my wife.

I thought MG was just kidding you.

But, sprucing up the car during charging is my favorite thing to do while waiting. I carry plenty of microfiber cloths, spray wash, glass cleaner, and detailer. - 30 to 40 minutes does the trick - clean car and plenty of bat juice to go.

I thought MG was just kidding you.
Just noticed the date of his post, which means the person he saw wasn't me. But the general tone is a complaint about overuse of this supercharger by locals, and this was mentioned in the catalog of abuses: "One guy last Sunday was even washing his car while it was plugged in." The stated possibilities, whether kidding or not, assumed that this person must be a local. However, it's entirely possible he was far from home, as I was, and was simply making good use of his time while waiting for the charge to complete, not to mention being on hand to promptly move the car when finished.

But, sprucing up the car during charging is my favorite thing to do while waiting. I carry plenty of microfiber cloths, spray wash, glass cleaner, and detailer. - 30 to 40 minutes does the trick - clean car and plenty of bat juice to go.
Me too. I don't bother doing the wheels on a trip, but the glass and body surfaces clean up pretty quickly with a spray bottle and microfiber cloths.

One other thing worth mentioning. After I finished charging, I moved my car forward into the spot adjacent to where mgdurand's car is in his photo, and went to have lunch. When I came back, my charge port was open. I know it was closed when I moved (the car complains if it's open when you put it in drive.) The likeliest explanation is that the next driver who came along pressed the button on the charger handle, causing my port to open at a distance over 30 feet or so. Wonder what the range is expected to be?