Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fountain Valley (LIVE 28 Aug 2015, Expanded 27 Oct 2017, 16 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
e2f85a2a2825679bde37b19f3244865f.jpg

Rudeness been here for over taking up space. The black and white tesla. There was one tesla in front of me waiting for space too.

Looks like Tesla is hearing our complaints and doing something about it. Today I stopped in to Fountain Valley (I had a whopping 3 miles left!) and snagged the very last stall (I believe it was 2A, in the corner). As I sat in my car, I looked around and only saw 1 person in the other Tesla and several others without drivers (no harm in that - just a note).

What surprised me was seeing a well dressed good looking dude walking around with a Tesla polo shirt and a Tesla employee badge, appearing to be reviewing license plates and checking his watch. A few minutes later, a red Tesla pulled into the area and this guy (I later asked his name -- "Pike") directed the red car to a waiting area and (I assume) explained to the person the wait times and the "rules" that he was next. What a fantastic idea (albeit not scalable to have a Tesla person at every supercharger). On my way out, I left my spot open and stopped to thank Pike and mentioned that it would help to have someone like him at San Juan Capistrano because it is more difficult to know who is "next" in the waiting list. He said that he occasionally stops by that location but mainly they were studying why Fountain Valley is nearly always filled at over 90%

Tesla should consider monitoring charge level for cars charging at a supercharger locations more than half full. If a car completes its charge and isn't out if there in ten minutes, impose a temporary restriction on supercharger use after a warning message sent directly to the car after the first offense.

i will no longer be able to do my Costco shopping followed by a leisurely all you can eat lunch or dinner at Souplantation, but I'm willing to forego that for the interest of the greater good! Jk

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I've been twice in the past week, each time it has been completely full with cars waiting. It does look like most people go into Costco and just shop for a long long time. Yesterday there was almost a fight over a spot, pretty crazy! I'd say it's worse than San Juan but I luckily haven't been there in awhile. I can't imagine what's gonna happen when there's more than 15 model x's in Orange County..... And then model 3:)

its gonna be fun to watch.

Something new today - there was a parking attendant from "LAZ Parking" directing traffic. She actually had my car plugged in before I stepped out of my car, should have bought her coffee! She said that Tesla hired her company since the FV SpC is one of the busiest, and an attendant will be there during peak hours.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Do not fully understand purpose of attendant. 10 extra seconds to plug in yourself? Could we authorize attendants to move our car when done or if they do not have a "universal remote" to take ours, like you would with a valet and move it when done? This would relieve strain from shoppers and eaters and possibly free up spaces sooner.

To contrast FV with SJC ...
The attendant lady at the San Juan Capistrano Supercharger indicated that her "on duty" hours were from noon to 6 PM. At times last Monday morning (before noon), there were as many as 4 cars waiting to charge at the 7 arches. Sometimes the chargers there seem to deliver substantially less than their presumed max of 120 kW per arch pair.

Is it possible that some site's superchargers are "throttled back" at times, perhaps when all the arches are in use, so that some/all of the arch pairs no longer have full power available, as if the site has a max power from the grid constraint?

Presumably Tesla knows the VINs of the cars that stay plugged in after their charging has stopped.