Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Frederick, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friday. 1300 hrs. Three Potomac Edison trucks on site. About to depart, since they did not have enough cable to complete run down to BJ's. Poor planning. No charger pedestals delivered. Meter not yet installed.

We wait.
20190920_134054.jpg

Friday. 1300 hrs. Three Potomac Edison trucks on site. About to depart, since they did not have enough cable to complete run down to BJ's. Poor planning. No charger pedestals delivered. Meter not yet installed.

We wait. View attachment 457085

Wow, how did they not bring enough cable? This is the reason why nothing completes on time. We have incompetent people working on them that don't care to measure first. There's no excuse for not bringing enough cable. They may already have the pedestals too. They just aren't bringing them out until the meter is installed.

Wow, how did they not bring enough cable? This is the reason why nothing completes on time. We have incompetent people working on them that don't care to measure first. There's no excuse for not bringing enough cable. They may already have the pedestals too. They just aren't bringing them out until the meter is installed.

I wouldn’t immediately jump to accusing them of being incompetent. There could have been an issue on the supply side... we have no idea. It’ll get finished.

Reactions: vdiv
That's why you just cross the street to Anchor bar and eat much better chicken wings in the restaurant, while looking at your car charging across the street. It's literally 30 ft away.

I don't eat chicken. Sitting anywhere eating is great, if I want to eat and the food is what I want to eat. Having to find something else to do while I charge a car is still a PITA. Trips in an EV will always be a PITA until they have enough range and chargers close enough together that I can drive until I want to eat and then charge while eating something I want to eat... just like in an ICE auto. At the present rate, ~14% to 20% a year, that will be a long time, a decade at least.

The great thing about Frederick for me is that it is a destination and there is very little destination charging about. There is currently a brouhaha in Middletown about a level 2 charger the city installed which is free. Seems it is used by at least one local to charge overnight and some of the town people are upset by that. My butt was saved once when the car did a poor job of predicting how far I could go on my charge and dropped from 12% remaining estimate to 0% along the route. I found a level 2 charger at the library of a rather small city and got enough to reach the next Supercharger in 45 minutes or so. Them level 2s are pretty slow. Once Frederick has a Supercharger I might be able to charge at home and hit the supercharger here rather than have to charge both on the way up and the way back.

The pedestals are Tesla's contractor's responsibility. The transformer and meter are the power company's responsibility. No overlap I'm pretty sure other than the meter won't be installed until the site is certified as passing code, no?

As to the cable being too short, clearly someone screwed that up even if it's not the installers. How is it known the cable is too short? The the crew tell someone?

Black, to match the asphalt color which I thought was odd. Maybe its a base coat and they will do it a different color?

That is crazy odd. Definitely not a "base" coat to be covered with another color. Black is the hardest color to cover. A close second is the color of the bathroom walls in my old house. I'll have to drop by next weekend when I'm up. Watch the paint dry. Heck, I can do that whether or not the chargers are working, lol.

I remember they totally messed up the Haymarket markings and even the concrete handicapped divider. I couldn't figure out what the concrete would do and as it turns out it is just to keep you from running over the handicapped spot on your way out. I've seen more than one car pull out from the 1B spot and run the rear wheel over that curb. The lines are still pretty messed up. They tried to cover them with a thin coat of cement it looks like and it's mostly coming off.

Why do you have so many accounts?
  • gnuarm
  • T3slaOwner
  • T3sla0wner