Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Frederick, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having now visited superchargers 39 times since getting my Model X, I would say the best locations are near shopping (malls) and multiple restaurant choices. The worst are next to hotels with nothing but the hotel nearby. In the middle are places like Wawa and Sheetz (potty and snacks).

So my now-preferred location for the Frederick supercharger is in the spacious parking lot of the Francis Scott Key Mall. There is shopping and there are sit-down restaurants. I've written to mall management.

Having now visited superchargers 39 times since getting my Model X, I would say the best locations are near shopping (malls) and multiple restaurant choices. The worst are next to hotels with nothing but the hotel nearby. In the middle are places like Wawa and Sheetz (potty and snacks).

So my now-preferred location for the Frederick supercharger is in the spacious parking lot of the Francis Scott Key Mall. There is shopping and there are sit-down restaurants. I've written to mall management.

I would agree as long as it is during normal business hours. I got stuck at the Hagerstown charging station at about 5 of 9 on night only to see them lock up the food court. I had to walk all the way up to the Longhorn to get a late night dinner.

I still think we will wind up with a Sheetz in Frederick someday.

Reactions: RTPEV
There is a sign on in the field behind Eastgate Shopping Center off of Monocacy Blvd where Roy Rogers is and Sheets that a Royal Farms is coming soon literally just as you exist 70 from the westbound ramp. I'm thinking maybe that is the location. Building a shopping center there with Royal Farms being the anchor.

Attachments

• Gateway Plaze East.PNG
    Gateway Plaze East.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
There is a sign on in the field behind Eastgate Shopping Center off of Monocacy Blvd where Roy Rogers is and Sheets that a Royal Farms is coming soon literally just as you exist 70 from the westbound ramp. I'm thinking maybe that is the location. Building a shopping center there with Royal Farms being the anchor.

Now I will be motivated by fear! I can honestly say I think gas stations are the worst possible locations for chargers. This part of Frederick is the worst of the worst. There is literally nothing in walking distance other than fast food and a couple of liquor stores. Both liquor stores do have decent deli counters even if no place to sit down. This location already has some of the worst traffic in the town, not to mention the many sink holes. You can see a few in the aerial photos of the property. Adding entrances for another shopping center here would really muck it up. At one time they were going to close this highway exit entirely by opening one next to the overpass of Rt 144. I wonder if that may still happen.

I am going to get in touch with the management of the FSK mall and see if I can light a fire under them to contact Tesla. This is a MUCH better location with some six or eight adequate restaurants and an entire shopping mall.

FSK mall is sad. It will likely not outlive a supercharger.

I'd much rather charge at a site with multiple fast food choices and a place where I can pee 24-7.

I don't know what you mean about the mall. Maybe you are thinking of the Frederick Towne mall? That one has been dying for years. The FSK mall is doing well with many food outlets. Personally I have zero interest in fast food, but there is plenty here and a Wawa for a 24/7 bathroom.

I don't really want to duplicate the gas station/truck stop experience when charging batteries. That is the thing I hate most about traveling, the lack of decent amenities. A Supercharger across Spectrum Drive from the Olive Garden puts the chargers in the middle of some dozen food places and near a gas station and a reasonable walk to a lot of mall shopping for the locals.

Nilnoc, I don't know why you say that about the FSK mall. Perhaps you are thinking of the Frederick Towne mall?

The FSK mall has a large number of places to eat, some of them fast food if that's what you require. It is convenient to the highway and there is a 24/7 gas station if you need a bathroom or gas. It has lots of room for the chargers and multiple entrances and exits.

Of all the locations in Frederick, this is probably the best all around site.

Today, because there is literally no place in Frederick to charge I had to travel 40 miles out of my way to use a Supercharger while I had breakfast. We are still in the stagecoach days when it comes to BEVs, Tesla included. If Tesla wants to sell more cars (assuming they can make them) they will need to increase the number of charging locations five fold or more. I stopped even looking at Chevy Bolts because GM has no charging solutions. For people in Frederick, MD Tesla has few good charging solutions. All cities the size of Frederick need a bank of Superchargers before BEVs will be commonly accepted.

I was reading in the Annapolis thread today. Seems like it is a slow process even after they start installation. Also, even though this installation is about ready to turn on, there is still no indication on the Tesla map other than the same locator saying, "Target opening by end of 2018" just like all the others.

Just curious, any idea how many Teslas there are in Frederick county? I'm wondering how many people would be interested in chargers here? Folks who live places where they can't charge at home would need a Supercharger to be able to own one. I suppose apartment buildings might install destination chargers so residents could charge overnight.

I was reading in the Annapolis thread today. Seems like it is a slow process even after they start installation. Also, even though this installation is about ready to turn on, there is still no indication on the Tesla map other than the same locator saying, "Target opening by end of 2018" just like all the others.

Just curious, any idea how many Teslas there are in Frederick county? I'm wondering how many people would be interested in chargers here? Folks who live places where they can't charge at home would need a Supercharger to be able to own one. I suppose apartment buildings might install destination chargers so residents could charge overnight.

I don't live there but commute through there on a biweekly basis. To me it is one of the most desired locations I want. Haymarket was a surprise to me and will also be good. I'm in the Chantilly VA area and go both ways. OF course Tysons would serve all four of our Teslas on a daily basis. Fredick would be a commuter stop for most part. I don't see to many tesla's around town.

FYI there is a Sheetz in Walkersville on RT. 194 that is a little to far from the 270,15,70 interchanges but looks as if it was built out to handle a supercharging station. it currently has a temporary office trailer and store Sheets gas trucks. It would have been a text book location. I passed the Sheetz off 70 yesterday and looked there with no activity visible there.

Reactions: MacGreiner
To me gas stations are the worst location for Superchargers. Someone said they like having 24/7 bathrooms and I guess that is a significant factor. Chargers without bathrooms are not a good idea. I guess that is priority 1. lol

I have to say that a 24/7 bathroom at a Supercharger is priority 1, and so yes, this does lend itself to a convenience store location. And at least Sheetz locations have some semblance of food. An ideal site would be within safe walking distance of other food options, but if I had my choice between a mall with food court / restaurants, but which was only open from 10am-11pm and a gas station with 24/7 access to bathrooms and some snacks, I would choose the gas station and just make sure I picked up something to eat prior to pulling in.

Reactions: Big Earl
I meant to say "gas station" rather than "convenience store". I think convenience stores don't make bathrooms accessible.
Well you did actually say "gas station" and I (perhaps inaccurately) changed it to "convenience store", so my apologies for possibly taking your meaning incorrectly.

I would agree with you that a pure "gas station" (i.e. a few gas pumps, maybe an air compressor, and a cashier) would make a horrible Supercharger site.

But most "gas stations" these days (at least those along travel corridors) are attached to convenience stores with bathrooms, snacks & drinks, and ever more common, an attached (or built in) fast food outlet.

Well you did actually say "gas station" and I (perhaps inaccurately) changed it to "convenience store", so my apologies for possibly taking your meaning incorrectly.

I would agree with you that a pure "gas station" (i.e. a few gas pumps, maybe an air compressor, and a cashier) would make a horrible Supercharger site.

But most "gas stations" these days (at least those along travel corridors) are attached to convenience stores with bathrooms, snacks & drinks, and ever more common, an attached (or built in) fast food outlet.

Yes, the 24/7 gas stations are typically convenience stores and even fast food restaurants. That is exactly why I don't like them, lol! I don't eat much at fast food places. When I am on a long trip my ideal charging site would be always at 10% battery reserve and have a decent restaurant where I can get good food with wifi for the laptop to get a little work done. I don't expect the locations to improve hugely and given the recent trend to locate at the mega-gas stations it looks like my restaurant goal is moving further away. lol

Yesterday I made the mistake of eating (for the second time) at the Shoney's in Whytheville, VA. I ate there because I'm not fond of Chinese and they don't offer wifi. Well, Shoney's wifi wasn't as strong as the signal from Day's Inn so maybe it would work at the Chinese place too? I'm not eating at Shoney's again. Yuck! I guess I could hold out until the next stop, but it ends up less optimal for time, especially in the south to north direction.

Hello! Just saw this thread and it's a topic I've been wondering about for months (and asking around about, to no avail).

I live in Brunswick, Maryland (about 20 minutes west of Frederick). We're part of Frederick County. Right now, whenever I have a reason to go to downtown Frederick for a while and need to charge my Model S, I try to make use of the destination chargers graciously provided by the Paul Mitchell Temple. They have 100 amp service going to them, which is great for my car, since it's equipped with "dual chargers" that can take full advantage of that. (And they're a great place to get a haircut. You get better prices than salons because they're a school for people learning to work in salons.)

Unfortunately, because of the placement of those 2 parking spots in the back of their building -- they often get blocked if someone needs to unload things there. And additionally, I've started noticing more people using them in recent months. Used to be, they seemed to be kind of a secret. If I parked there to use one, I got questions from employees who wanted to know how long it took to charge a Tesla on one, etc. (Got the idea they didn't see a whole lot of use.) But now, I've had to pass them by and do something different on a couple of occasions, because they were both occupied.

My guess was that maybe that new Royal Farms on Buckeystown Pike would be the site for a new Supercharger station, but seeing they've just opened and looking at the layout there? I'm not sure they left much room for them to be added?

I have to say, I find it rather irritating that the Mom's Market on Buckeytown Pike seems to have decided not to bother making the effort to get their Chademo charger to work properly with Teslas again. Long ago, they were (I believe) the first shop in the Frederick area to provide free EV charging for people. And clearly, they used to support Teslas because a big sign in their window instructed you to go inside if you needed to borrow their Tesla Chademo adapter they kept behind the counter. But for the last year or so, I've never been able to get that charger to work with my car. It starts communicating for several seconds and then throws an error code and shuts off. They repeatedly told me they had it "scheduled to be repaired" -- but nothing seemed to come of it. And the check-in apps like PlugShare indicate that for the last 6 months or so, nobody's been charging on it besides Nissan Leafs and Chevy Bolts and such.

Hello! Just saw this thread and it's a topic I've been wondering about for months (and asking around about, to no avail).

I live in Brunswick, Maryland (about 20 minutes west of Frederick). We're part of Frederick County. Right now, whenever I have a reason to go to downtown Frederick for a while and need to charge my Model S, I try to make use of the destination chargers graciously provided by the Paul Mitchell Temple. They have 100 amp service going to them, which is great for my car, since it's equipped with "dual chargers" that can take full advantage of that. (And they're a great place to get a haircut. You get better prices than salons because they're a school for people learning to work in salons.)

Unfortunately, because of the placement of those 2 parking spots in the back of their building -- they often get blocked if someone needs to unload things there. And additionally, I've started noticing more people using them in recent months. Used to be, they seemed to be kind of a secret. If I parked there to use one, I got questions from employees who wanted to know how long it took to charge a Tesla on one, etc. (Got the idea they didn't see a whole lot of use.) But now, I've had to pass them by and do something different on a couple of occasions, because they were both occupied.

My guess was that maybe that new Royal Farms on Buckeystown Pike would be the site for a new Supercharger station, but seeing they've just opened and looking at the layout there? I'm not sure they left much room for them to be added?

I have to say, I find it rather irritating that the Mom's Market on Buckeytown Pike seems to have decided not to bother making the effort to get their Chademo charger to work properly with Teslas again. Long ago, they were (I believe) the first shop in the Frederick area to provide free EV charging for people. And clearly, they used to support Teslas because a big sign in their window instructed you to go inside if you needed to borrow their Tesla Chademo adapter they kept behind the counter. But for the last year or so, I've never been able to get that charger to work with my car. It starts communicating for several seconds and then throws an error code and shuts off. They repeatedly told me they had it "scheduled to be repaired" -- but nothing seemed to come of it. And the check-in apps like PlugShare indicate that for the last 6 months or so, nobody's been charging on it besides Nissan Leafs and Chevy Bolts and such.

Did you notice if the Paul Mitchell temple has a separate electric meter nearby? Or does it simply go into the buildings service. I had noticed the Ocean City Destination chargers at the Holiday inn were actually on a separate service. Done by Tesla? with your comment that they were 100A each is good, unless there networked. Tysons were Tesla units on 100A gen 1, when they upgraded to gen two they fall as more people plug in.

I didn't pay real close attention, but I *think* I remember it appearing to have its own electrical drop? In any case, I'm assuming it's a 100 amp total service supplied to both "heads" of the destination charger, so you only charge at 50% of the total amperage if 2 vehicles are attached simultaneously? (I think that's how those work? If one car finishes charging, the full available power is given back to the remaining car that's still charging.)

Also, I'm not really sure if this is true or not? But I had an electrician visit my home in Brunswick when I was trying to get a quote for installing a high power circuit in my garage for my own car. She was from out in Mt. Airy, so that makes me a *little* less certain she knows all the ins and outs for Frederick County. But she told me Potomac Edison (our local power company) is the only one in Maryland who doesn't allow you to add a second circuit drop for something like an EV charger on a residential property. They only allow one drop and one meter per physical street address. If true, that bums me out because my service panel at home is pretty full already. I was thinking I'd like to just add a separate meter and 100 amp service for my charger -- but guess that's not happening.

Did you notice if the Paul Mitchell temple has a separate electric meter nearby? Or does it simply go into the buildings service. I had noticed the Ocean City Destination chargers at the Holiday inn were actually on a separate service. Done by Tesla? with your comment that they were 100A each is good, unless there networked. Tysons were Tesla units on 100A gen 1, when they upgraded to gen two they fall as more people plug in.