Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Giddings, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I just found them but they aren't public chargers, are they?
The two at the motel inside the loop, I forget the name, are definitely was fully public last I saw. The Holiday Inn Express right off 290 is a little more grey area but I've used it. You don't want to count on Level 2 (L2) charging unless you're traveling well off the grid, they are generally bail-outs.

How come there are no more Destination Chargers along US-290?

Destination L2 are more for the end of your trip stuff, or meaningful waypoints. As the name suggests, "destinations". They are exactly like charging at home, using literally the same equipment if you have a Tesla HPWC in your garage. So they get added by places like hotels, motels, some large shopping areas, B&B places, wineries, restaurants, etc. There's a lot of empty miles on 290 itself.

Where do you go in Austin, what part of town? What time of day are you there? Until Giddings is done, the Austin SC, on I35 should get you charged in a similar amount of time to get you home. It definitely can be busy, depending on the time of day, but there's a new site NW under construction that should be open sometime this summer and hopefully will help with traffic at the SC on I35.

<edit> Oh, I'm sorry I had your trip direction backwards. You're going to do Austin-Houston-Austin. Yeah, there should be no trouble with making the trip on only a quick 15-20 min charge-up at the SC at Rudy's on 290, or Richmond Rudy's near 69 & 6, or the Tesla SC I45 Spring location, depending on where in Houston area your son is going, as you're leaving back toward Austin. That's an easy-peasy trip, it is the Austin SC that gives all us out-of-towners the willies coming into Austin. :)

Last edited:
I make that round trip and I’ve never charged for more than 20 minutes at Rudy’s. But if you have an aversion to stopping at a supercharger on your return trip when your battery is lowest, are you really ready for an EV? It’s a different driving mindset.

My destination is in Spring so, I take SH-99 East. Stopping at that Rudy's would add 35 miles to my round trip.

I wish there was already another SC along US-290. I wouldn't mind stopping at one for 15 mins to get enough charge to get back home.

My destination is in Spring so, I take SH-99 East. Stopping at that Rudy's would add 35 miles to my round trip.
I hear you. I'm actually well north of Houston, and that SC is only useful in cases where I'm headed downtown or somewhere well southward. I actually take FM1488 when headed West, or in some cases FM2920.

Airtex and I45 is your SC stop, likely then. How close are you to that?

The two at the motel inside the loop, I forget the name, are definitely was fully public last I saw. The Holiday Inn Express right off 290 is a little more grey area but I've used it. You don't want to count on Level 2 (L2) charging unless you're traveling well off the grid, they are generally bail-outs.

Destination L2 are more for the end of your trip stuff, or meaningful waypoints. As the name suggests, "destinations". They are exactly like charging at home, using literally the same equipment if you have a Tesla HPWC in your garage. So they get added by places like hotels, motels, some large shopping areas, B&B places, wineries, restaurants, etc. There's a lot of empty miles on 290 itself.

Where do you go in Austin, what part of town? What time of day are you there? Until Giddings is done, the Austin SC, on I35 should get you charged in a similar amount of time to get you home. It definitely can be busy, depending on the time of day, but there's a new site NW under construction that should be open sometime this summer and hopefully will help with traffic at the SC on I35.

<edit> Oh, I'm sorry I had your trip direction backwards. You're going to do Austin-Houston-Austin. Yeah, there should be no trouble with making the trip on only a quick 15-20 min charge-up at the SC at Rudy's on 290, or Richmond Rudy's near 69 & 6, or the Tesla SC I45 Spring location, depending on where in Houston area your son is going, as you're leaving back toward Austin. That's an easy-peasy trip, it is the Austin SC that gives all us out-of-towners the willies coming into Austin. :)

My other option would be to keep my current vehicle that runs on "Fossil-Fuel" so, I continue doing this round trip on it and then, get M3 SR+ to commute to work and fun. This way, my only pit stops will be at Buc-ees in Giddinds (LOL).

My other option would be to keep my current vehicle that runs on "Fossil-Fuel" so, I continue doing this round trip on it and then, get M3 SR+ for work and fun. This way, my only pit stops will be at Buc-ees in Giddinds (LOL).
Yes, if you feel you can deal with the crushing melancholy that'll hit you like a ton of bricks every time you pass the Giddings SC. "I could be so enjoying this trip, right now", you'll say to yourself as a tear rolls down your cheek. ;)

Good luck on your choices ahead. Definitely don't be a stranger.

• Funny
Reactions: GWord
Yes, if you feel you can deal with the crushing melancholy that'll hit you like a ton of bricks every time you pass the Giddings SC. "I could be so enjoying this trip, right now", you'll say to yourself as a tear rolls down your cheek. ;)

Good luck on your choices ahead. Definitely don't be a stranger.

Or, if they ever install a SC in Brenham or Hempstead, I'll use a Model 3 SR+ for this round trip, stopping for 15 mins on my way back home at one of these locations. A SR+ won't have enough range to get me to Giddings.

Half a mile down the road. :) No exaggeration there. Literally 1 mile round trip through raw ditch, as there is effectively no shoulder, to get coffee. Further if you want to sit down to eat.

Admittedly that's about the same distance for San Marco SC during the hours that the mall is closed but Zaxby's et al is open (Cracker Barrel is pretty close to a mile one way on foot!), but there's only a short stint of ditch you have to walk for that, and mall hours you're right there.

But if that's what it took to get siting, that's what it took I guess. Better than no SC.

I wonder why Tesla doesn’t offer a stowable, recharged by the car, e-bike option yet.

I've made Austin-Houston-Austin round trip many times using 290 with just the stop in the middle at Rudys in Houston.
The Houston end we've done a couple of time with a hotel stop in Magnolia on the way back and still got back with plenty of range left.

Looks like some action starting in Giddings. Two Digg Tess requests this week. This one is from today:
County: LEE
Place: GIDDINGS
Address: 3025
Street: E AUSTIN ST
Intersecting Street: TURNER LN
Location of Work: WORK DATE: 6/25/2019 2:15:00 PM LOCATE 20' RADIUS AROUND STAKE. GPS N 30 10 47.14 W -96 54 25.82 DRIVING DIRECTIONS: FROM THE INTERSECTION OF TURNER LN AND HWY 290, TRAVEL E ON HWY 290 FOR .1 MILE, TURN AND TRAVEL N FOR .1 MILE TO STAKE HWY 290 IS KNOW AS E AUSTIN ST IN GIDDINGS, THIS IS THE CEFCO CONV STORE. ADDING POLE IN EXISTING LINE, STAKE IS MARKED BEC #1
Remarks: TESS: 1967261733 Seq: 6708 Rcd: 06/21/19 14:13 WTBD: 06/25/19 14:15
Map: TX

B0BA8CAC-71EB-4E94-94EB-C0E8F869194B.jpeg
A new construction fence is up with a pile of conduit as of today. This is adjacent to WhichWich on the west side of the building. No Tesla markings on any boxes or containers, but still early.

A day later, trenching appears complete. New materials onsite too. Definitely has the looks of a Tesla Supercharger. Surprised at the proximity to the building where they’re placing these on the property... they don’t want their Tesla drivers to have to walk far to get into the store.

Anyone able to identify the concrete forms in the photo? Any way to tell if they are part of a V3 platform?
1F25061B-D924-4429-8FDD-D60AC874928D.jpeg
5E262279-C7EA-4FE1-B8D3-CFD4FDB34CC6.jpeg
C7D7A8B6-A70C-4D4A-AE05-0C42EB5E879B.jpeg
F2B01E52-BF48-4D79-9506-AF421AB956F2.jpeg
5F90219C-0434-4C5D-913B-F6A890BCBC9A.jpeg
83B6A010-3CBD-4987-92E5-192918F213DC.jpeg
BFB81E19-5555-4099-AC0E-1F90970A7BC1.jpeg

Reactions: byeLT4 and mociaf9
A day later, trenching appears complete. New materials onsite too. Definitely has the looks of a Tesla Supercharger. Surprised at the proximity to the building where they’re placing these on the property... they don’t want their Tesla drivers to have to walk far to get into the store.

Anyone able to identify the concrete forms in the photo? Any way to tell if they are part of a V3 platform?
Unless the specs for it turn out to be different from has been publicly stated, it's not V3. Your first picture shows 8 bases for charging pedestals. The third picture shows 4 bases for the supercharging cabinets (the squarish ones with the slot in them). So, based on those numbers, 1 cabinet ===> 2 charging pedestals. Whereas V3 is supposed to be 1 cabinet ===> 4 charging pedestals. Combining that with the fact that there aren't any V3 stations being built in the real world yet means not V3.

But if you want to confirm it unequivocally for everyone, when the supercharger cabinets to show up on site take a close-up shot of the inventory label. You can see what the cabinets look like when they are delivered to a building site in the picture that @reddy of Henrietta. The label in question is the small rectangular one that is in the top corner.

Reactions: Big Earl
I'm having trouble visualizing where this is in the parking lot. Is this over on the west side of the property next to the dog park? Has the Supercharger installation removed some of the fence on the dog park area?
stop light is on 290, yes on west side of cefco,, not sure about dog park, cant remember exactly what it looked like before, if it did i don't think by much