Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Greenville, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am coming from FL to Gatlinburg, TN and the quickest route would be through I-95; however, between the Santee Supercharger in SC and Knoxville Supercharger 321 miles! I hope there is a SC in between that leg by Oct :)
Try an overnight stay with destination charging at the Bleckley Inn in Anderson South Carolina. That's how we solve the problem with our S60.

Is it a specific company who is producing the Chademo stations that is having issue maintaining it?

Here in Atlanta, NRG has been rolling out Chademo-only stations subsidized by Nissan, first at Nissan dealers and then at various public locations like shopping malls. We quickly found out that these Chademo-only stations (made by Sumitomo) seem to overheat pretty easily, that turns out to be traced back to air filters that aren't getting cleaned. Apparently the design depends heavily on good air cooling and the air filters clog easily. So if they aren't being maintained, they die. A lot of the Nissan dealers were dragging their feet on this EV nonsense already so weren't maintaining their stations. It's a franchise model and Nissan HQ can only do so much.

FYI I keep referring to NRG's "Chademo-only" stations because they also offer dual-standards stations, in other markets, but we haven't seen those in Atlanta (at least not from NRG).

The other player we've been seeing a lot of lately is Greenlots/Signet -- the Greenville Richrdson unit is one of those. They've had quite a few problems too, in fact this past weekend suddenly a number of them at Kia dealers went down simultaneously. It was a coincidence but they're all pretty much brand new. So we're hoping this is just infant mortality, aka the bathtub curve, and they'll stabilize in a few months. When these Greenlots/Signet stations first popped up I did wonder if they'd be more prone to failure because they are packing the same 50 kW into a smaller cabinet.

You'll find a rundown of all of the DCFC station types we've seen in Georgia, with pictures, at this link:

DC Fast Charging - www.ElectrifyAtlanta.com

Well, I did the Charlotte-Atlanta leg last week twice (coming and going). We really do need the SC to come on line as it would make everything nicer.

On the way down I charged until things got slow at Charlotte and planned to top off in Greenville at the wonderfully generous Dentist HPWC (40amp, single chargers). I don't think I math'd quite right though and spent more time in both places than I probably should have.

On the way back I decided to throw caution to the wind and drive from Atlanta to Charlotte without stopping. I spent about an hour or so in Atlanta getting my battery to 100% (I guess, the bar was totally full and the miles stopped going up as the amperage tapered) and made it to Charlotte with about 20 miles left.

I think the Atlanta -> Charlotte route is easier on range than Charlotte -> Atlanta as I slid into Decatur (the nav didn't want me to go to Atlantic Station) with 8 mile (no Eminem) for range.

Next time I head down that way, I plan to draw to 100% in Charlotte and make a run for it (provided the SC is still in limbo).

I've often wondered why the Drury Inn and Suites in Greenville S.C. did not immediately volunteer to have the Tesla Superchargers, that were 'almost' across the street, built on their property. That sure would have been a win, win, win for everyone! I know many Holiday Inns and Hampton Inns have come on board and have Superchargers on site to draw in the traveling public. This whole Greenville S. C. debacle makes me a little embarrassed for the city/state. Tesla is such a positive to have in any community/city/state it's been a real shame to watch such a long delay. I had such high hopes for this area when I visited last year! I guess Greenville S.C. will continued to be by-passed until such time as they move into the twenty first century. I just have to put this link in here!

Salesforce.com Tesla To The Future on Vimeo

Last edited:
I've often wondered why the Drury Inn and Suites in Greenville S.C. did not immediately volunteer to have the Tesla Superchargers, that were 'almost' across the street, built on their property. That sure would have been a win, win, win for everyone! I know many Holiday Inns and Hampton Inns have come on board and have Superchargers on site to draw in the traveling public. This whole Greenville S. C. debacle makes me a little embarrassed for the city/state. Tesla is such a positive to have in any community/city/state it's been a real shame to watch such a long delay. I had such high hopes for this area when I visited last year! I guess Greenville S.C. will continued to be by-passed until such time as they move into the twenty first century. I just have to put this link in here! Salesforce.com Tesla To The Future on Vimeo

Say what you will about Salesforce.com, that was a wickedly cool video!

Say what you will about Salesforce.com, that was a wickedly cool video!
Man,did they ever miss an opportunity here - the Model S should have been dark green metallic. I mean, driving fast around San Francisco - they needed to find an original (dark green, natch) VW Bug to pass multiple times (same shot from multiple angles) as they bombed down a hill and got airborne, and a black 2015 Charger SRT Hellcat to duke it out with:biggrin: The end of the chase (in Pt. 2) seems especially appropriate!

Bullitt - The Chase (part 1) - YouTube

You could probably just substitute the cars via computer now, and keep all the rest. But can you get an SRT with Hubcaps now? Tesla or one of their fans needs to do this!

Last edited:
Did Charlotte to Decatur in my S85 straight through today.

Left Charlotte SC with 255 rated miles (2 years old, full is 257). Started slow and got ahead on projected range, spent some of it going a bit faster and ended up getting hit with enough rain near Atlanta to make it pretty tight. Ended with 5 miles, but never had rated miles less than actual miles and, until the rain, a buffer with projected miles. So no real range anxiety, but definitely had to pay attention. Did the opposite last week, with a stop in Greenville, and that was easier.

Charlotee-Atlanta is such a common route that it is embarrassing to admit that it is presently complicated and worrisome.
When friends considering a Tesla ask me questions, the Number 1 query is how easy is it to drive out of State.

Shocking to me that another site isn't already under way or finished. They pulled the hardware out of the ground a while ago which means we should have another site in permit or construction by now... Honestly it seems like the SPC build out has really slowed nationwide the past few months... Anybody else feel that way?

Shocking to me that another site isn't already under way or finished. They pulled the hardware out of the ground a while ago which means we should have another site in permit or construction by now... Honestly it seems like the SPC build out has really slowed nationwide the past few months... Anybody else feel that way?

The pace of building new superchargers has been slow recently, and may stay that way until Model X production ramps up and Tesla becomes cash flow positive again late this year or early next year. We have heard that the new site has been selected and will soon be built, but nobody has found evidence of it yet.

I think I found a building permit for a supercharging station in Asheville, NC. What does everybody think?
image.jpg