Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Greenville, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This one is really great for all those people who visit the area, including me. There are three Select Registry properties in the area that have destination Chargers, but that works only for people who stay in them, as I now do. I still think Greenville is very important for through travelers or those of us who have lead feet or 60's, but perhaps Spartanburg is a more immediate need now, because of I26. Still, Greenville has a large among of visitors, many of whom are politically influential. If only because of that I think Greenville is also an urgent priority, even if Spartanburg happens quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The pace of building new superchargers has been slow recently, and may stay that way until Model X production ramps up and Tesla becomes cash flow positive again late this year or early next year. We have heard that the new site has been selected and will soon be built, but nobody has found evidence of it yet.

It's tempting to say the Greenville problem is part of some major corporate issue, but actually the SC openings in US have continued at a fairly constant pace for the last 18 months(see:supercharge.info) China is slower, Europe accelerating. The problem seems local to Greenville and not sure why the restart would be so delayed after the litigation nixed the other site. What is so frustrating is Tesla's unwillingness to share any Supercharger plans or status reports. I just can't understand this approach to their customers' inquiries.

What is so frustrating is Tesla's unwillingness to share any Supercharger plans or status reports. I just can't understand this approach to their customers' inquiries.

Apparently, you have never been fooled by a nefarious 'investigative' reporter. Most corporations would not divulge much info regarding plans. Almost any communication can be taken out of context and interpreted to the advantage of the naysayers.

Tesla is wise in holding cards close to the chest. But kudos to them for at least attempting to pass on what they do let out.

It's tempting to say the Greenville problem is part of some major corporate issue, but actually the SC openings in US have continued at a fairly constant pace for the last 18 months(see:supercharge.info) China is slower, Europe accelerating. The problem seems local to Greenville and not sure why the restart would be so delayed after the litigation nixed the other site. What is so frustrating is Tesla's unwillingness to share any Supercharger plans or status reports. I just can't understand this approach to their customers' inquiries.

Agreed. Weird they don't communicate more... Especially for a site like Greenville

Can you be more specific about the news? We heard rumblings a month ago that they were in permitting and construction would begin soon, but we haven't heard anything since.

Unfortunately not really...

"I must have really have ruffled a few feathers at the mothership!Just got a stern phone call from the supercharging team telling me to keep my nose clean... Oh and we're now in permitting at Greenville...
I must be doing something right! I may need protection though if I continue..."

I wish I could be specific about the news... But I didn't get any specifics... All I know is that the permit is with the city of Greenville... That means the site is physically within the city limits... The permit application is publicly searchable. That's how the Asheville permit was discovered...

If someone knew how to search through permits, we could find out

I wish I could be specific about the news... But I didn't get any specifics... All I know is that the permit is with the city of Greenville... That means the site is physically within the city limits... The permit application is publicly searchable. That's how the Asheville permit was discovered...

What are we seeing on average to finish a SC station? 4 months?

I just manually searched through all the permits in City of Greenville from 8/1/15 through today and don't see anything that looks like a Supercharger station.

I went here:

Click2Gov Building Permit - Select Permit

And you just have to enter the permit number. Through some guessing, figured out that the permit number is 15 for the first number (year) and they just increment the second number from 1 on up. Looks like the last permit issued as of today is 15-2580. I went all the way back through 15-2340 which covers all of August. Others are welcome to try searching further back (as they may have applied for the new permit a while ago). All I can say is that it doesn't look like the permit was applied for any time this month so far.

I just manually searched through all the permits in City of Greenville from 8/1/15 through today and don't see anything that looks like a Supercharger station.

I went here:

And you just have to enter the permit number. Through some guessing, figured out that the permit number is 15 for the first number (year) and they just increment the second number from 1 on up. Looks like the last permit issued as of today is 15-2580. I went all the way back through 15-2340 which covers all of August. Others are welcome to try searching further back (as they may have applied for the new permit a while ago). All I can say is that it doesn't look like the permit was applied for any time this month so far.

As of right now there is no permit, but it has been 6 days since the permit list has been updated. They update it about once a week or whenever they feel like it. The permit list is here:

http://sc-greenville.civicplus.com/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/366

The link will show the latest PDF. The section the permit will show up in is called "Commercial New Other", starts on page 101 as of the last update. I know this because that's where last years permit showed up. You can then plug the permit number into the permit search link here:

Edit:
and for reference, here is the complete 2014 permit list. The supercharger permit is the last permit listed on page 197:
http://sc-greenville.civicplus.com/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/369

Last edited:
Asheville is great. Looking at the map I am questioning why we all think there will be a Greenville SC. Why not a Spartanburg SC. This would continue the I-26 to the coast. Is anybody looking into Spartanburg permits?
Good idea imo.

First of all thanks to the recent research.

However should we not broaden the research ? What if Tesla is permitting in the next county and we do not see it because we are not looking there? I still think the Spartanburg County idea could be one, same true for Anderson County.

Any ideas how to look up these counties?

Heard from a reliable source that Greenville, SC may rise like the Phoenix soon...keep your eyes open in my ancestral home!

My 2nd Great Grandfather moved there from Rhode Island in the early 19th century!!! When the Supercharger gets installed maybe I will come visit, and look up some old grave sites.

Heard from a reliable source that Greenville, SC may rise like the Phoenix soon...keep your eyes open in my ancestral home!

My 2nd Great Grandfather moved there from Rhode Island in the early 19th century!!! When the Supercharger gets installed maybe I will come visit, and look up some old grave sites.

If you do, let us know. Either I can come down from Charlotte, or if you swing through Charlotte, we can have a drink. Your videos helped me in deciding to get a Model S!

Cottonwood, you should come out and take a look around Greenville! I can't tell you how much I love my hometown and what it has become. We have been ranked very highly lately for being a great place to visit and live!
Trey