Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Greenville, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a transformer installed yet? This kind of fits and starts construction (if there is any other kind) is what occurred in Santee. I believe someone reported that the Macon contractor said his next base of operations was going to be in Huntersville, which is in the Charlotte metro area. That is close enough to do both the still mysterious supercharger between Charlotte and Concord as well as the Greenville one. I suspect we need a contact in the Charlotte IBEW to unravel both these superchargers.

scoots

Is there a transformer installed yet? This kind of fits and starts construction (if there is any other kind) is what occurred in Santee. I believe someone reported that the Macon contractor said his next base of operations was going to be in Huntersville, which is in the Charlotte metro area. That is close enough to do both the still mysterious supercharger between Charlotte and Concord as well as the Greenville one. I suspect we need a contact in the Charlotte IBEW to unravel both these superchargers.

scoots

Greenville would be a bit far: 1.5 hr in good traffic. Huntersville itself would work great for me, as it is my weekly destination. "between Charlotte and Concord" is a bit odd, as they border each other, but close enough to Huntersville

Arnold

scoots

checked last night. No change...:mad:

checked last night. No change...:mad:

Uh oh...

I'm starting to get nervous about our planned family-of-five road trip from PA to northern GA (about 60 miles south of Greenville off of I-85) coming up the second week of July. Where it starts to get dicey is on the Glen Allen, VA to Burlington, NC stretch, since there's been no updates on South Hill, VA for several weeks now. Then after Burlington, if the Charlotte and/or Greenville SC's don't get up and running soon, it could become a Plugshare/Level 2 trip instead of a Supercharger trip...which I guess is OK for the southbound trip, where we don't have time constraints, but when we start heading home, we'll have a tight schedule, and having to stop for a 3-4 hour charge could wreck our timetable.

Hurry up Tesla! (Or hurry up town zoning boards!)

:)

Uh oh...

I'm starting to get nervous about our planned family-of-five road trip from PA to northern GA (about 60 miles south of Greenville off of I-85) coming up the second week of July. Where it starts to get dicey is on the Glen Allen, VA to Burlington, NC stretch, since there's been no updates on South Hill, VA for several weeks now. Then after Burlington, if the Charlotte and/or Greenville SC's don't get up and running soon, it could become a Plugshare/Level 2 trip instead of a Supercharger trip...which I guess is OK for the southbound trip, where we don't have time constraints, but when we start heading home, we'll have a tight schedule, and having to stop for a 3-4 hour charge could wreck our timetable.

Hurry up Tesla! (Or hurry up town zoning boards!)

:)

Ya not great...It seems like the transformer is the hold up? Is that a utility company task?

Ya not great...It seems like the transformer is the hold up? Is that a utility company task?

Every install that I have seen, the transformer install, HV (more properly MV) connections to the grid, 480 Volt connections to the Distribution Center, and meter connection have been done by the local utility. Even a typical Medium Voltage (MV) of 14,400 Volts is nothing for the untrained to fool around with.

Every install that I have seen, the transformer install, HV (more properly MV) connections to the grid, 480 Volt connections to the Distribution Center, and meter connection have been done by the local utility. Even a typical Medium Voltage (MV) of 14,400 Volts is nothing for the untrained to fool around with.

Not trying to point fingers, seeing that any Supercharger coming online has no affect on me, but I was trying to understand who may be responsible for the delay. Looks like it is most likely the local utility company. I'm surprised that Tesla isn't ingraining themselves more into this process, such as validating that those responsible of certain tasks will have the equipment by a certain date (with extra padding). For instance if they need to install the transformer on 5/27, that the part is on site by 5/24. I know working with a lot of different vendors/contractors can be challenging but I'm surprised the process isn't more fine tuned by now. I would hope they've experienced every type of set back (or close to it) by now and should know how to avoid them in the future.

Hope the location is open for cataber to use in the near future.

Not trying to point fingers, seeing that any Supercharger coming online has no affect on me, but I was trying to understand who may be responsible for the delay. Looks like it is most likely the local utility company. I'm surprised that Tesla isn't ingraining themselves more into this process, such as validating that those responsible of certain tasks will have the equipment by a certain date (with extra padding). For instance if they need to install the transformer on 5/27, that the part is on site by 5/24. I know working with a lot of different vendors/contractors can be challenging but I'm surprised the process isn't more fine tuned by now. I would hope they've experienced every type of set back (or close to it) by now and should know how to avoid them in the future.

Hope the location is open for cataber to use in the near future.

i went by this morning. Not only has no additonal work been done that I could see but the skid steer, tractor and trailers were all gone. That's a bad sign to me...

I was by there late today for the first time in a couple of weeks. Still no transformer. The only equipment there now is the large storage container and one trailer. Security guard said they came and picked up the "tractor" over the weekend. I'll try to find out something tomorrow. Wish I would have gotten the GC's phone number when I met him just prior to construction beginning.

Looking at Superchargers it looks like there are only half a dozen SCs under construction nationwide. I agree with what has been said already, the logistics of this should be able to be better managed. With summer travel season upon us, it seems like this is land locking Atlanta (a market with a $5,000 State tax credit) and should be a priority in the South.

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician. No idea what all is involved beyond surface level.

@sandwich:

Does this look familiar?
IMG_20131220_155954247.jpg