Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Greenville, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome great thanks. Unfortunately I don't know how to check on the permits so I'm not exactly sure when they will start construction.

Greenville updates it's building permits in this PDF file: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/BuildingPermits/LicenseReports/2014_bpreport.pdf That doesn't include electrical, but I assume there will be a building permit issued for this project. There's nothing for Tesla or The Point listed there yet, but I imagine it will be soon.

This one is in particular interest to me in Atlanta, because I've got family up the East Coast and this will make it much easier to connect with the SC network and travel to New England in one overnight stay instead of two (in Greenville and at Glen Allen, VA).

I can report some encouraging news...a permit application has definitely been submitted for a supercharger at the location in Greenville that airj1012 has previously referred to. There is a minor issue with the plan that is holding up permit approval, but not likely to to cause a significant delay.

I can report some encouraging news...a permit application has definitely been submitted for a supercharger at the location in Greenville that airj1012 has previously referred to. There is a minor issue with the plan that is holding up permit approval, but not likely to to cause a significant delay.

Awesome news! Do you have an estimate of when you think the permit will go through? Also see your PM.

OK, Greenville is good to go. Permit approved yesterday. Equipment delivers Friday. Ground breaks Monday, 5/12. 2000 amp total service to site; 8 stalls. Contractor said he'll be done in 3 weeks.

Location: The Point, just around the corner from Yogurt Mountain. I'll post a google earth shot a little later.

OK, Greenville is good to go. Permit approved yesterday. Equipment delivers Friday. Ground breaks Monday, 5/12. 2000 amp total service to site; 8 stalls. Contractor said he'll be done in 3 weeks.

Location: The Point, just around the corner from Yogurt Mountain. I'll post a google earth shot a little later.

Thanks for the update. Great news for those in the Carolina's and Georgia!

I believe I've highlighted the correct area of the parking lot - http://goo.gl/U1sMJH

Greenville.png

Last edited:
Airj: Yes, you are right on it. In fact, if you click the link you posted and choose satellite view, you'll see the block of 8 spaces they are outfitting. They are set aside in a corner that is unlikely to be ICE'd, but still an easy walk around the building to Whole Foods or across the side street to Cracker Barrel. Chipotle is a bit further hike on the opposite side of the complex. It's a nice location. Too bad I'll probably never use it...live too close. I will need Atlanta and Charlotte though, so please keep me posted!

Airj: Yes, you are right on it. In fact, if you click the link you posted and choose satellite view, you'll see the block of 8 spaces they are outfitting. They are set aside in a corner that is unlikely to be ICE'd, but still an easy walk around the building to Whole Foods or across the side street to Cracker Barrel. Chipotle is a bit further hike on the opposite side of the complex. It's a nice location. Too bad I'll probably never use it...live too close. I will need Atlanta and Charlotte though, so please keep me posted!

Thanks for all the intell. I know this group and the Atlanta FB group will love to see pictures as it progresses. I'll cross update whenever you send anything out.

We know the Atlanta location but they're dragging their feet on the permit. Not sure where the Charlotte one will be located yet. Hopefully we get an idea soon as I imagine they're in tasks by now.

Picture of Construction

I was at the site this morning while returning from Atlanta from Long Island, NY. I spoke to the construction crew. They have not yet received the Tesla equipment - expecting today or tomorrow, but they have dug out channels and installed the conduit. The pads for the Superchargers and the Utility Transformer will be poured shortly. The service will be 900kWh. They expect to have their construction done by the end of next week, but are not sure when the transformer will be installed. I gave the crew chief a ride, and he loved it. Location as previously report, next to Yogurt Mountain is correct.

The container in the picture is theirs, no Tesla equipment yet. The transformers and charger cabinets will be on the opposite side of the container shown, where you can see the tops of some trees.

Greenville Supercharger Site.jpg

Last edited:
I was at the site this morning while returning from Atlanta from Long Island, NY. I spoke to the construction crew. They have not yet received the Tesla equipment - expecting today or tomorrow, but they have dug out channels and installed the conduit. The pads for the Superchargers and the Utility Transformer will be poured shortly. The service will be 900kWh. They expect to have their construction done by the end of next week, but are not sure when the transformer will be installed. I gave the crew chief a ride, and he loved it. Location as previously report, next to Yogurt Mountain is correct.

The container in the picture is theirs, no Tesla equipment yet. The transformers and transformer will be on the opposite side of the container shown, where you can see the tops of some trees.

Awesome thanks for the update. If you happen to go back, do you mind asking where the crew is going next? Also are you a member of our ATL or Carolina's Facebook group? Thanks again.

They probably meant 900 kW, not kWh. So plenty for 4 cabinets, 8 plugs.

(and in the transformer world they use kVA, so it sounds like they booked 900 kVA service from the utility)

Actually, probably 900 kVA.

Transformers are rated in kVA. Because the Superchargers have a power factor that is very close to "1", that equates with kW, but if you look at the side of one of the transformers, I would bet you a beer that it is rated in kVA. 900 is a little strange; most that I have seen are 500, 750, 1,000 kVA, etc, but 900 should work just fine to support up to six 135 kW Cabinets and 12 Stalls.

900/(135/0.9) = 6; 150 kW AC input power for a 135 kW output power Cabinet.

Last edited: