Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hermosa Beach, CA (LIVE 9 Jun 2020, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spotted this construction in Hermosa Beach, CA.

Attachments

• IMG_7294.jpeg
    IMG_7294.jpeg
    468.9 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_7295.jpeg
    IMG_7295.jpeg
    656.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_7297.jpeg
    IMG_7297.jpeg
    532.2 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_7298.jpeg
    IMG_7298.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_7299.jpeg
    IMG_7299.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_7296.jpeg
    IMG_7296.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 203
I live about 1.5 miles away from here, and I never even knew there was an underground part to their parking!! And I've been going to this shopping center for years (Vons, CVS, Chipotle, Union Bank....and Hermosa Beach Fish Shop (sadly closed)). GREAT location. Amazed that they're going with so many stalls and so much power, but with an absolute flood of Teslas in the area, this is going to be great.

Not sure how a 5th location in the South Bay makes sense when there isn't even one in BH, Hollywood, East Side, or the Valley. Not to mention the big gaps in Long Beach and Pomona. Maybe all the Tesla and SpaceX employees are putting their thumbs on the scale?

I'm sure you are aware that there are many other factors involved other than 'employee thumb scaling'.
(SpaceX employees have plenty of opportunity to charge at work.)

I'm sure you are aware that there are many other factors involved other than 'employee thumb scaling'.
(SpaceX employees have plenty of opportunity to charge at work.)

Yes, but I doubt there are 5x as many Teslas in the South Bay than in other parts of LA. It's just a bit frustrating to see so many within a 2 mile radius, and nothing happening in other parts of LA.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Not sure how a 5th location in the South Bay makes sense when there isn't even one in BH, Hollywood, East Side, or the Valley. Not to mention the big gaps in Long Beach and Pomona. Maybe all the Tesla and SpaceX employees are putting their thumbs on the scale?

I seriously doubt that Tesla and SpaceX employees can "thumb" the scales and magically make SuperChargers appear.

There are a ton of factors that go into a location. How much do you think putting a location in Beverly Hills costs vs. an unused garage in Hermosa?

I seriously doubt that Tesla and SpaceX employees can "thumb" the scales and magically make SuperChargers appear.

There are a ton of factors that go into a location. How much do you think putting a location in Beverly Hills costs vs. an unused garage in Hermosa?

I understand there are a lot of factors involved. It's just annoying when the 5th charger in a 2 mile radius gets built when the rest of LA county desperately needs more as well.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I understand there are a lot of factors involved. It's just annoying when the 5th charger in a 2 mile radius gets built when the rest of LA county desperately needs more as well.
Actually, this makes sense. First, the 2 mile radius is a bit of an exaggeration, but your point is not far off the mark. There are 4 others within a 8-mile radius and 2 within a 2-mile radius. Yet, to drive to one of these other chargers from another is a whole matter in of itself. The traffic and congestion in this area is pretty severe. Density goes a long way in this regard, and there is definitely a need here, as much as anywhere else in the region. Having friends who live near this location, I know how badly I hate driving to this area. Also, this new charger is no where near the freeway chargers. It is a good 30 minute drive at times from the freeways. Hence, this new location is not really for travelers. The one in Redondo, which is needed for people to travel, is always extremely jammed, and hopefully less so with these new chargers coming online, allowing people on freeways to get to where they need to go. Also, the one at SpaceX seems to be leaning more and more to being restricted in use. I would not be surprised it this becomes closed to employees and visitors in the near future.
Yes, the rest of LA County needs more chargers, and certainly where you suggest. Tesla will likely build those too, as long as they get the sites they are looking for. That is the hard part, hence why we don't see one in Beverly Hills yet, or many other areas. These clusters of chargers not only make sense, they are not stopping Tesla from building others. For now, I will not complain about any chargers being built.

Last edited:
When Tesla first started the SC network, members here scouted possible locations - talking to shopping center owners, other businessmen where location was available, lucrative customer attraction, etc. Then contacting Tesla with good information of possible sites willing to accept SC's. Lobbying local gov't was necessary as there was/is a faction of certain businesses trying to keep TESLA from being viable.

Hoping for an SC may not necessarily be enough.