Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hooksett NH Rest Areas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would Tesla prefer to wait for pavement and curbs before getting their contractor involved? Wouldn't installing these things require ripping up the pavement, curbs, and concrete to run cables and footings for the pedestals? Perhaps when you refer to "their contractor" you mean the workers who set the equipment on the pads and the underground stuff is being done now and will soon be paved over?

How reliable are the sources you've spoken with? Is it possible that they both heard a rumor from the same source? Or from somebody who might have confused supercharger with regular charging stations? Sorry - I don't mean to question your ability to filter your sources - I'm just looking for some good news!

I'm not sure you know what "good news" is....:)

Why is there such a pessimistic feeling here? I have written references to tesla charging from the DOT official. That combined with verbal confirmations from contractors plus the evolidence on the plans makes this pretty solid. I can understand tesla not "counting their chickens" as it were, but this seems about as solid as an AWD model S....

Reactions: chjch
Why is there such a pessimistic feeling here? I have written references to tesla charging from the DOT official. That combined with verbal confirmations from contractors plus the evolidence on the plans makes this pretty solid. I can understand tesla not "counting their chickens" as it were, but this seems about as solid as an AWD model S....

Agree. I'm going to remain very optimistic.

I'm sorry for being pessimistic. I don't think the evidence we have is solid enough to call it "pretty solid." In addition to your emailed references to Tesla charging from a DOT official, we also have this from a DOT official:
Sorry, but I think you guys are going to be disappointed. While at an EV event this weekend, I spoke with someone in the know with the NH DOT and she confirmed that there are definitely going to be 6 Level 2 chargers on each side, but no specific "Tesla Superchargers."
The best evidence we have is from Todd's conversations with contractors, depending on how good those sources are. While the contractors may be right, I wonder if they have any information on how soon it might happen. Were they electrical, concrete?

I'm trying to think positive...

I'm sorry for being pessimistic. I don't think the evidence we have is solid enough to call it "pretty solid." In addition to your emailed references to Tesla charging from a DOT official, we also have this from a DOT official:

The best evidence we have is from Todd's conversations with contractors, depending on how good those sources are. While the contractors may be right, I wonder if they have any information on how soon it might happen. Were they electrical, concrete?

I'm trying to think positive...

I consider my source to be quite reliable. I also have a second source that I'm not at will to discuss. All of the conduit runs for the superchargers happen outside the curb, so as long as the location is at the edge of the parking lot, no pavement will need to be disturbed. Tesla's contractor will pour the concrete pads for the electrical equipment and the stanchions after the conduits are in place. Since the subcontractor who does this work for Tesla is usually not from the neighborhood, they prefer to do everything at one time.

Last edited:
Quick Hooksett update-

Northbound is mostly finished. Yesterday they were paving the new (-er) parking lot where the old liquor store was. They have re-opened the rest area to trucks (there are a few spaces, but with 2 big truckstops nearby, they probably don't need many). I did not look inside to see if any progress had been made on the restaurant. Still no obvious signs of charging stations.

Southbound is at least a month behind. No work on the restaurant or convenience store yet. The steel for the gas station canopy looks complete (one end is where the old liquor store used to be and had to wait for the store to be demoed and the rest of the site prep). Again, still no obvious signs of charging stations.

Since the gate was open, I drove around the back of the southbound station (ignoring the "authorized vehicles only" sign) to take a closer look at the crates to see if any had Tesla logos. No such luck. I also explored the back lot of the northbound rest stop (off of 3A), but saw nothing interesting there, either.

So, in short, Northbound is nearing completion, southbound is a least a month behind, and no signs of any charging facilities.