Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Inyokern, CA (4 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anything to eat nearby?
Regardless, for my next trip up, I really only need about 25 RM more to make it to Lone Pine. So, I thought that I would stop for a quick 10 minute charge, go to Lone Pine, then walk to McD's for breakfast and allow a bigger charge. As long as I can get a charge at the Westin in Mammoth, I'll be fine for the trip back.

There's a Mexican restaurant called Bernadino's which is pretty good. I recommend the asada burrito combo. Nothing fancy though, just tortilla, meat and avocado. There's also a steak/burger place down the road but I've never eaten there. All within walking distance.

+1

There's a Mexican restaurant called Bernadino's which is pretty good. I recommend the asada burrito combo. Nothing fancy though, just tortilla, meat and avocado. There's also a steak/burger place down the road but I've never eaten there. All within walking distance.

I had Bernadino's last week and had a carne asada torta friend had the carne asada nachos, food was great.

Looks like the conduit is up the service pole and wire has been pulled to the switch gear I presume. No signs
of a green transformer, rebar cages still on site.

IMG_2216.JPG

Last edited:
I have not seen a Supercharger site fed by pole mount transformers yet, but with a 4-stall site, maybe three 100 kVA pole mount transformers might do the job. There is always a first...

I think Cottonwood nailed it: This might be the ticket.
In today's photos, the PVC Conduit clearly feeds wires from the three pole mounted transformers into the stub-up @ the grade level.

A bit of very new technology (Superchargers) powered by old technology (pole-mounted transformers).

<<<I guess the rebar cages will get installed at a later date, hope they don't get in the way until they are bored and cast in concrete.>>>

The first time I had a project with a standoff riser was maybe 14 or 15 years ago. An SDGE planner told me that the utilities started doing it because after 2 or 3 risers are attached to a pole, it's difficult for a linesman to safely climb it.

Update 02/12/2015

Supercharger is NOT currently live.

Quick update- Temporary fencing has been removed, construction tape is gone, site has been cleaned up, sea container was getting picked up when I arrived. No news on when it's getting powered up at this time.

I might be wrong but the parking blocks seem too far forward, charging cable is fully extended and the top of the parking block touches the bottom of the rear air deflector, vehicle was empty. Should note my car is equipped with coil spring suspension.

IMG_2235.JPG

IMG_2237.JPG

Last edited:
This location is an example of "It takes a lot to get all the Bits and Pieces to fit and work together."

A couple of observations:
#1. Swing the superchargers around, so that the connection is at the LEFT instead of it being on the RIGHT side. The cable won't have as far to stretch in a triangulated dimension, it will be more of a straight line dimension.

#2. Install LOWER profile concrete parking wheel stops. As fstech writes, not every body has air suspension, and I have torn one of my rear air fins on my MS on a wood wheel stop at a State Park while charging. In this particular instance the degree and location of sloped grade where the drain is located actually is at the worse possible location. The wheel is at the bottom of the dimension, making the concrete parking stop even higher. One more suggestion/observation: the orange/yellow plastic wheel stops are visually easier to see, lower and less inclined/more forgiving if any of the soft plastic under-parts of a Tesla's airings come in contact with it.

The wheel stops DO address and resolve the issue any conflict with the stairs on the side of the platform.
The Wheel stops also resolve the issues of any conflict with the (future) structure while parking, but you had better be careful while using the rear camera while backing up. The Model S is a very long and low car with long overhangs.

Fore-thought and Execution are key to making a successful Supercharger installation.
One size does not fit all, and when somebody is looking to park, Supercharge and use the restroom, they might be less than focused and in a bit of a hurry.
Best way to continue that great day of driving and charging is to make it so there are no inadvertent accidental inconveniences.

Update 02/12/2015
<snip>
I might be wrong but the parking blocks seem too far forward, charging cable is fully extended and the top of the parking block touches the bottom
of the rear air deflector, vehicle was empty. Should note my car is equipped with coil spring suspension.
I hope you reported this, especially the parking block issue, to Tesla directly instead of just here. They need to fix this, or they're going to be replacing a lot of air deflectors (at their expense, one assumes).

I hope you reported this, especially the parking block issue, to Tesla directly instead of just here. They need to fix this, or they're going to be replacing a lot of air deflectors (at their expense, one assumes).

Good point. I just emailed them and linked them to this thread. fstetch, you should too since you are the one with the true experience.

There are stand-off bolts with enough room for spiked boots for the old timers. Maybe better cooling for the pigs up on the pole.

I notice the extra length of the new SpC cords. The hanger used to be only half way up.

Its almost like this contractor was working off a low res blowup of the official plans where he couldn't read the precise dimensions. It's a bit weird.
--

Adj suspension max height

I emailed Tesla with additional detailed pictures and received a reply that they would investigate.

I recently visited the super charger still no juice. I learned about the height distance the hard way backing in.
Luckily I don't think there was any visible damage

I adjusted to max height after hitting the stall head with standard height
image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 391