Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome news. A couple of notes:
  • I had anticipated that these stalls would have space for food trucks/vendors. In my mind, since Tesla owns the land, they could permit food truck parking, mobile detailing, etc. I don't see space for that on these plans.
  • What are the vehicles that I've circled? Are those rudimentary sketches of Teslas dropping off passengers on their way to charge? Or are they some kind of bus?
  • I count nine spaces feasible for charging while pulling a trailer. They may be too tight to maneuver out of, though. If so, where does one park the unhitched trailer? I'm guessing the section marked 8.
View attachment 235288

Its for the the new TESLA RV style Microbus with pop up camper roof covered in solar. Kinda like the Earthcruiser with a Tesla Semi power train

Inside the EarthCruiser FX, the World's Most Amazing Adventure Vehicle

The limitation of DC is distance. Lol...

That's actually 100% not true. The limitation to DC was voltage conversion. DC is actually BETTER than AC for long distance transmission since AC transfers ~70% as much power for the same level of current & voltage vs DC (RMS). But you need high voltage for long distance transmission and they didn't have power electronics 100 years ago like we do today... they DID have transformers. Transformers work really well for stepping up/down AC voltage. Not so well for DC voltage.

HVDC Transmission wasn't viable until we invented IGBTs ~20 years ago.

Moderator note: Two threads about the proposed Kettleman City Supercharger have now been merged into this thread. The first thread was started July 11 but not in the California Supercharger forum (maybe it was in the Model S forum, I can't recall for sure). On July 15 I started a thread about this location in the California Supercharger forum (post #113) as I was unaware of the earlier thread.

Hoping to see signs of Supercharger construction in Kettleman City in the near future!

I also like this location to offset the long distance to/from Harris Ranch.
Great when you just want to go fast, and hop from one SC to the other with minimal charging times.
Once Gustine comes back online, that approach will work end-to-end. Harris to Gilroy is a bit long, and requires a bit too much charging imho.

Kettleman City, CA

Interstates: I-5
US Numbered Highways (<= 5mi): None

I-5:
To: Harris Ranch, CA - 25.6 miles
Diversion: 1 mile
To: Gustine, CA - 98.9 miles

To: Bakersfield, CA (I-5): 57.0 miles
To: Fresno, CA (CA-41,CA-99): 65.0 miles
To: Atascadero, CA (CA-41,CA-46,US-101): 66.0 miles
To: Fish Camp, CA (CA-41): 114 miles
To: Monterey, CA (I-5,CA-198,US-101,u,CA-68): 148 miles

Kettleman City, CA

Interstates: I-5
US Numbered Highways (<= 5mi): None

I-5:
To: Harris Ranch, CA - 25.6 miles
Diversion: 1 mile
To: Gustine, CA - 98.9 miles

To: Bakersfield, CA (I-5): 57.0 miles
To: Fresno, CA (CA-41,CA-99): 65.0 miles
To: Atascadero, CA (CA-41,CA-46,US-101): 66.0 miles
To: Fish Camp, CA (CA-41): 114 miles
To: Monterey, CA (I-5,CA-198,US-101,u,CA-68): 148 miles

Money, to supplement your fine research and reporting, I would add the following:

To Tejon Ranch Supercharger via I5 all the way: 93 miles.

To Mojave Supercharger via I5/SR46/99/58: 136 miles; via I5/SR58: 138 miles

To Barstow Supercharger via the above routing to Mojave and then continuing on SR58/I15: 205/207 miles. There is some elevation gain from ~400 feet at Bakersfield to Tehachapi Pass at a little over 4,000 feet before descending slightly to Mojave.

From Kettleman City, CA

To Harris Ranch, CA - 27 miles
To Gilroy, CA - 169 miles

So technically you can skip Harris Ranch.

If Coming From Inland Empire, CA
- Stop @ Tejon
- Stop @ Kettleman
- Stop @ Gilroy

Or Skip Kettleman, stop at Harris Ranch. No need to stop at Bakerfield or Button Willow.

From Kettleman City, CA

To Harris Ranch, CA - 27 miles
To Gilroy, CA - 169 miles

So technically you can skip Harris Ranch.

If Coming From Inland Empire, CA
- Stop @ Tejon
- Stop @ Kettleman
- Stop @ Gilroy

Or Skip Kettleman, stop at Harris Ranch. No need to stop at Bakerfield or Button Willow.

My experience on this stretch of freeway is that headwinds and grade can make a big difference. I thought I had +30 miles of margin and rolled into Harris ranch with 0. <yikes>

It seems odd to me that this location does not even show on the current 'Find Us' page, yet the Cambria 'location' does...

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 8.16.59 PM.png

I agree. I noticed that also, glad you brought it to the attention of the thread. Any ideas as to why?

Here is my silly, uneducated, and totally wild-ass guess:

When Tesla prepared its 2017-2018 charging map, this concept of a 40-stall Supercharger was not even on the table. Perhaps the Supercharger team heard about some cheap real estate at Kettleman City (and also at Baker) and pitched the idea to management. Management liked the idea with the imminent arrival of the Model 3, so Tesla went for it.

Perhaps these two locations are experiments to see how utilized they will be vis-a-vis the smaller locations. If they are successful, we might see more of these 40 (or more!) SC locations around the globe. Maybe, just maybe, Tesla will find a partner to help underwrite the costs in exchange for SC access. Far-fetched, I know.

Here is my silly, uneducated, and totally wild-ass guess:

When Tesla prepared its 2017-2018 charging map, this concept of a 40-stall Supercharger was not even on the table. Perhaps the Supercharger team heard about some cheap real estate at Kettleman City (and also at Baker) and pitched the idea to management. Management liked the idea with the imminent arrival of the Model 3, so Tesla went for it.

Perhaps these two locations are experiments to see how utilized they will be vis-a-vis the smaller locations. If they are successful, we might see more of these 40 (or more!) SC locations around the globe. Maybe, just maybe, Tesla will find a partner to help underwrite the costs in exchange for SC access. Far-fetched, I know.

They created a 20 stall supercharger station in Norway (Nebbenes) which I suspect will become a model for future 40+ SC locations.

Tesla opens its first 20-stall Supercharger at now the world’s largest fast-charging station

• Informative
Reactions: beths11