Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I won't continue to beat a dead horse, but it's 262 miles from Santa Clarita to Casa de Fruta and neither of those sites has ever been full as far as I am aware. The average Tesla driver has a triple digit IQ so I'm going to assume they can connect the dots.

Well, at least you're changing your story about using chargers like Bakersfield as a KC alternative, and Tesla owners being a bunch of ignorant lemmings that all just want to go to the KC lounge. ;) Unfortunately, no Tesla owner worth their three digit IQ would recommend the unrealistic-for-most and time-consuming-for-all scenario of getting a huge supercharge to single-leg the Central Valley between The Bay and LA unless there's unique circumstances involved (like, spending an hour shopping at Gilroy).

In the interest of keeping this on topic to KC, as a rule, there are basically no typical situations--including exceptionally busy travel days around holidays--where you'd want to actively avoid KC (atypical = an accident between the freeway and the KC supercharger, for instance).

I won't continue to beat a dead horse...
But you are doing just that.
...but it's 262 miles from Santa Clarita to Casa de Fruta and neither of those sites has ever been full as far as I am aware. The average Tesla driver has a triple digit IQ so I'm going to assume they can connect the dots.
Please refrain from making IQ judgements about Tesla owners, even in jest, as such statements can be taken literally when in the form of a post on the internet. Thank you.

And thanks to everyone for working to keep this thread on topic, which is the Kettleman City Supercharger. Carry on... :cool:

I’m assuming it’s ok to bring food into the lounge?

Also, is anything closed here on actual holidays? No baristas?

It is! At least I witnessed someone bringing in In-n-Out food while I was there and no one said a word to the person.

Can’t answer about baristas being there on holidays though since I’ve never been on an actual holiday day. Did drive through on the 5th though and there were employees working and plenty of stalls open.

But you are doing just that.
Please refrain from making IQ judgements about Tesla owners, even in jest, as such statements can be taken literally when in the form of a post on the internet. Thank you.

And thanks to everyone for working to keep this thread on topic, which is the Kettleman City Supercharger. Carry on... :cool:

Have to agree that your moderation in individual Supercharger threads is a bit too aggressive IMO. It really disrupts some valid conversations and the dump threads have zero readability and make no sense without context.

I’m assuming it’s ok to bring food into the lounge?

Yes, people do it all the time. My wife even feeds our baby in the back corner/cubby if its not too crowded. :p

I'd stick to 'office rules' (like, no fish, etc.) but other than that don't think twice about it. Be advised that, while the crew there is excellent with respect to keeping the place clean and tidy, the only trashcans inside are in the bathrooms. In an effort to not load up the only trashcan and to keep the smell of our in-n-out (or whatever) to a minimum, we usually throw our trash in one of the outside cans.

Note that there's also a picnic bench or two on the patio should your family need to spread out. ;)

Also, is anything closed here on actual holidays? No baristas?

While I don't know their actual schedule, I've been there on a few holidays (and many "around the holidays" days) and have seen staff every time I've been there during normal open hours. I think they leave around 7 or 8pm? And as noted above the lounge is open 24/7 so you can always go inside. There's a coffee vending machine should the need arise.

When we first saw the plans for this Supercharger location, they showed dedicated parking for food trucks along the north side of the building. Has anyone ever seen food trucks at this location? It seems like they could get a lot of business on days when there's a Tesla arriving every couple of minutes.

If I had a food truck and was located nearby, I know where I'd be setting it up on holiday weekends...
I imagine this is on someone within Tesla to "advertise" to local food truck operators. In most regions, businesses who want a food trunk in front, have to actively solicit them; they typically don't just show up. Maybe whoever is the manager/supervisor of Kettleman City has been too busy to do the legwork???

The lounge is open 24/7/365. The baristas work the more popular hours--I am not sure what their shifts are exactly, but I would assume 8AM to 9PM as a guess.
I was there on a holiday and the baristas had the day off. I think it was Easter. There was a sign saying they'd be back at 8am or whatever the next day. The hours are posted and have been posted somewhere in this thread, but it is admittedly too long to sift through.

There is also a fancy automated espresso machine that is kind of cool. The coffee is not GREAT, but it's very good for a machine. You can get capuccinos, mochas, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
I imagine this is on someone within Tesla to "advertise" to local food truck operators. In most regions, businesses who want a food trunk in front, have to actively solicit them; they typically don't just show up. Maybe whoever is the manager/supervisor of Kettleman City has been too busy to do the legwork???
How many food trucks are based in that area? My guess is not many.

Anyone ever parked their car here in one of the non charging spots and left it overnight? I am going backpacking in Mineral King and meeting someone coming from Paso, Its a convenient place for him to grab me. Alternative is the train station in Hanford which has overnight parking. Its too tight to get from Tejon to Mineral king and then back to Bakersfield or Tejon given the 275/255 tires on my car.

Anyone ever parked their car here in one of the non charging spots and left it overnight? I am going backpacking in Mineral King and meeting someone coming from Paso, Its a convenient place for him to grab me. Alternative is the train station in Hanford which has overnight parking. Its too tight to get from Tejon to Mineral king and then back to Bakersfield or Tejon given the 275/255 tires on my car.

Harris Ranch just up the highway might be a better option with the motel parking adjacent to the Superchargers. Probably more night time activity to reduce any incident of property damage. And you could notify the desk clerk as to your intentions. I doubt that it would be problematic with so much parking available.

Reactions: K3Man
Harris Ranch just up the highway might be a better option with the motel parking adjacent to the Superchargers. Probably more night time activity to reduce any incident of property damage. And you could notify the desk clerk as to your intentions. I doubt that it would be problematic with so much parking available.
If one does this AT ALL, I would definitely leave nothing in the car, in FRONK if you must and leave the back seats pulled down to show that there is nothing easy to steal. Just sayin’