Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kingston ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The minute Brockville opens, I am sure the trip planner will say Belleville first, then Brockville for those folks. And Kingston will be empty as Port Hope.
Is Port Hope empty? I stopped there August long weekend and saw 4 or 5 other Telsas either leaving as I arrived, charging, or arriving as I left.

For me Port Hope is the perfect spot for a bio break coming from KW. Port Hope -> Brockville -> Point Claire would break up the trip mostly evenly.

For those of us starting in Toronto, Port Hope is too close to stop at when heading east to Montreal or Ottawa or points beyond. You might do a stop here on your way home depending on how much charge you need to get home. For us Belleville is a good first stop, but then Kingston is too close to Belleville to be optimal.

• Informative
Reactions: alesgaroth
Ottawa folks:
It does for me and it suggests Perth.

But I assume a lot of people are used to driving on the 401, and it will never be on their mind to use Highway 7.
I've lived in Ottawa for 25 years and never once went to Toronto via Hwy 7. But as soon as the Perth and Peterborough SCs opened up it started suggested that route and once I tried it I never looked back. It's one less charging stop for an SR+ and a more relaxing drive. Plus if I'm driving to west of Toronto it drops me right onto the 407 so I can bypass the 401 altogether.

I've lived in Ottawa for 25 years and never once went to Toronto via Hwy 7. But as soon as the Perth and Peterborough SCs opened up it started suggested that route and once I tried it I never looked back. It's one less charging stop for an SR+ and a more relaxing drive. Plus if I'm driving to west of Toronto it drops me right onto the 407 so I can bypass the 401 altogether.

I agree to liking the 7 route better in an ICE, but I get too much phantom braking in my Tesla on the undivided highway.

Is it just me or does the car's nav actively avoid congested stations like Kingston? Either way.. do your best to avoid Kingston SC.
From my experience the Nav avoids congested superchargers first and then it prioritises v3 over v2/urban. All within reason of course. It isn't going to re-route you on a much slower route of travel unless there is very good reason. In the case of traveling Ottawa to Toronto, going through Perth isn't that much slower so definitely worth it if there's a backup at Kingston.

• Informative
Reactions: rypalmer
From my experience the Nav avoids congested superchargers first and then it prioritises v3 over v2/urban. All within reason of course. It isn't going to re-route you on a much slower route of travel unless there is very good reason. In the case of traveling Ottawa to Toronto, going through Perth isn't that much slower so definitely worth it if there's a backup at Kingston.
Much nicer drive too.
Really need Brockville for the Toronto/Montreal ppl tho.

The Tesla Supercharger map still says that the Brockville location is scheduled for opening in Q4 2021, although it also says, as is standard, "Timing and location subject to change".

The Ottawa-Toronto route through Perth is nice, but also can be slow as it is mostly one lane in each direction with long stretches without a passing lane. That said, travelling along the 401 often is not a treat either, and also can be slow anywhere near Toronto, and sometimes in other spots as well, even with multiple lanes.

Brockville has been in the map as “This quarter +1” for at least a couple years.
No it hasn't. It's been on the map as [this year] for at least a couple of years. Tesla's change to their map's scheduling policy to show more specific targets of a particular quarter is new as of January 2021. Brockville was listed as Q4 2021 from that point and it hasn't changed since even though Tesla has updated the map each quarter. Further comment on Brockville should be done in the linked thread which is for discussion of that location.

Anyway, Kingston, Belleville, Cornwall and I hope, soon, Brockville and other places along the 401 - there should be plenty more Supercharger stalls available at various points. If there is one place in Canada there should be no shortage of Superchargers, it is along the 401.

I will leave KW to Ottawa on my Y on Monday Dec. 20th, should be at Kingston around 1pm, will be very busy at that time? Still broken stations there? Maybe I should stop at Belleville instead?
Congrats on the new Model Y! I wouldn't try to decide now - you're going to be influenced by driving speed, wind direction and speed, ambient temperature, etc. The car's nav has the live status of Supercharger stations and will give you an idea of how congested Kingston or any other SC site is.

Thanks for the advices!
I'll second that advice. Make sure to pay attention to the in car Nav. The August long weekend I did my first trip that way and as we were passing Belleville it told me the Kingston supercharger was full and there was a wait. I should have stopped in Belleville. As it was I had to wait for at least half an hour just to get a turn at the supercharger.

I'll second that advice. Make sure to pay attention to the in car Nav. The August long weekend I did my first trip that way and as we were passing Belleville it told me the Kingston supercharger was full and there was a wait. I should have stopped in Belleville. As it was I had to wait for at least half an hour just to get a turn at the supercharger.
Thanks for sharing your experience, it will be my first long trip with my Y!

Reactions: rypalmer