Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lanaʻi City, Lanaʻi, HI (4 stalls + 36 wall connectors)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that they list it as two cabinets and four posts, suggesting that this will be a V2 or Urban installation instead of V3.
I'm not sure that that is a correct assumption. Each cabinet can only output ~350kW, unless there is battery storage, so to be able to handle multiple vehicles at the 250kW rate you need to have multiple cabinets. I would guess that they are putting two V3 cabinets in, with two stalls each. But the cabinets are linked so the total ~700kW of available output can be directed to the stalls that need it. (I don't think they have ever done a single cabinet V3 install.)

Also, the power they list, "1 Elec Service (480/277V, 3Ph) 800-1200A", suggests two V3 cabinets. V2 Cabinets are ~150kW each so they would only require ~600A of service total, while the V3 cabinets require ~600A each, or ~1200A.

I'm not sure that that is a correct assumption. Each cabinet can only output ~350kW, unless there is battery storage, so to be able to handle multiple vehicles at the 250kW rate you need to have multiple cabinets. I would guess that they are putting two V3 cabinets in, with two stalls each. But the cabinets are linked so the total ~700kW of available output can be directed to the stalls that need it. (I don't think they have ever done a single cabinet V3 install.)

Also, the power they list, "1 Elec Service (480/277V, 3Ph) 800-1200A", suggests two V3 cabinets. V2 Cabinets are ~150kW each so they would only require ~600A of service total, while the V3 cabinets require ~600A each, or ~1200A.
Two V3 cabinets for four charging stalls would be a unique installation for car charging. Frito Lay has that type of setup for semis, but so far, all V3 4-stall sites for cars only have one cabinet - of which there are several examples (below). My guess is they’re oversizing the utility side for future expansion.

but so far, all V3 4-stall sites for cars only have one cabinet - of which there are several examples (below). My guess is they’re oversizing the utility side for future expansion.
Interesting, I hadn't seen them do that. I wonder if those sites had limited power available from the utility, such that there would be no point in having a second cabinet. (Or if they expect usage to be really low.)

What about the power for those 36 destination chargers? Those are likely around 10 kW each. Is that on the same service?

What about the power for those 36 destination chargers? Those are likely around 10 kW each. Is that on the same service?
No, it looks too be on separate breakers. And from what I have seen Tesla sets up sharing of Wall Connectors in groups of 16 sharing 54kW. (16 on a 225A sub-panel.)

It looks like they might have ~200kW available for the Wall Connectors at this site. So ~5.5kW each if all are in use at once.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tectonic
I tried to visit and take pictures of the Lanai Supercharger. I was not successful.

I just came back from Lanai. Unfortunately I had an arm cast so I couldn't spend time at the beach or the pool. So I spent a lot of time walking and exploring the island.

When I asked the hotel staff at the Four Seasons beach resort about the Tesla Superchargers they would all point at one lot and say all the EV chargers are over there. That lot had a few Tesla Model X's and a few Mercedes Sprinter Vans. All of these were white with a pineapple symbol and Lānaʻi markings, and none plugged in. The northern row of spaces had each had one Tesla wall charger on a pedestal that looked like a typical Tesla Destination Charger. The four on the east side were black, the rest white. The southern row had a bunch of J-1772 chargers, each with two charger cords between every other space.

I never took pictures of these charger because I thought they were ordinary chargers. In the closeup satellite photo this lot is the lower lot in the photo. The trees obscure the Tesla chargers. In the other photo this lot is west of the building marked Four Seasons Management Lanai.

During my ride back to the Lanai airport from the resort I rode in a Tesla ModelX instead of a shuttle van. The driver told me that the four black chargers were the Tesla Superchargers, and they would only use them when they needed a Tesla charged quickly. I don't know if an actual supercharge can look like a destination charger, but that is what I was told.

By the way the original Tesla Mobile Charger in the black zipper case and the J-1772 adapter were in the frunk when they opened the model X for luggage. I saw a number of Tesla's on the island with the majority white, model X's and the pineapple markings on them. There were a few model X's without the markings both white and other standard colors. There was also a few model 3's. No S's or Y's. I was told that a few of the model 3's are privately owned. On one tour of the island I saw a house with a Nissan Leaf in the driveway (unplugged). One of the other hotel shuttle drivers told me that his girlfriend owns a Leaf which she normally charges with the plug in charger. The main car rental agency, Lanai Car Rental, has a few Tesla 3's for rent for visitors. That rental agency is also the islands only gas station with regular $4.18 per gallon and premium $5 per gallon. I am told that gas prices are partially subsidized by Larry Ellison who owns the rental agency and gas station as well as the three hotels on the island. There is another set of charging stations at a parking lot for the Sensei Four Seasons resort. I did not see any charging stations at the rental agency, the third hotel, or elsewhere on the island.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 9.43.11 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 9.43.11 AM.png
    4 MB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 9.45.27 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 9.45.27 AM.png
    4 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Lanai Air, the small commuter airline subsidized by Four Seasons that shuttles resort guests from Honolulu to Lanai and back, owns and operates a Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat at Honolulu Airport. No Teslas or Tesla infrastructure at their Honolulu base, but the white Lanai Model Xs always meet them on the tarmac at Lanai Airport. Just an interesting tidbit.

I tried to visit and take pictures of the Lanai Supercharger. I was not successful.

I just came back from Lanai. Unfortunately I had an arm cast so I couldn't spend time at the beach or the pool. So I spent a lot of time walking and exploring the island.

When I asked the hotel staff at the Four Seasons beach resort about the Tesla Superchargers they would all point at one lot and say all the EV chargers are over there. That lot had a few Tesla Model X's and a few Mercedes Sprinter Vans. All of these were white with a pineapple symbol and Lānaʻi markings, and none plugged in. The northern row of spaces had each had one Tesla wall charger on a pedestal that looked like a typical Tesla Destination Charger. The four on the east side were black, the rest white. The southern row had a bunch of J-1772 chargers, each with two charger cords between every other space.

I never took pictures of these charger because I thought they were ordinary chargers. In the closeup satellite photo this lot is the lower lot in the photo. The trees obscure the Tesla chargers. In the other photo this lot is west of the building marked Four Seasons Management Lanai.

During my ride back to the Lanai airport from the resort I rode in a Tesla ModelX instead of a shuttle van. The driver told me that the four black chargers were the Tesla Superchargers, and they would only use them when they needed a Tesla charged quickly. I don't know if an actual supercharge can look like a destination charger, but that is what I was told.

By the way the original Tesla Mobile Charger in the black zipper case and the J-1772 adapter were in the frunk when they opened the model X for luggage. I saw a number of Tesla's on the island with the majority white, model X's and the pineapple markings on them. There were a few model X's without the markings both white and other standard colors. There was also a few model 3's. No S's or Y's. I was told that a few of the model 3's are privately owned. On one tour of the island I saw a house with a Nissan Leaf in the driveway (unplugged). One of the other hotel shuttle drivers told me that his girlfriend owns a Leaf which she normally charges with the plug in charger. The main car rental agency, Lanai Car Rental, has a few Tesla 3's for rent for visitors. That rental agency is also the islands only gas station with regular $4.18 per gallon and premium $5 per gallon. I am told that gas prices are partially subsidized by Larry Ellison who owns the rental agency and gas station as well as the three hotels on the island. There is another set of charging stations at a parking lot for the Sensei Four Seasons resort. I did not see any charging stations at the rental agency, the third hotel, or elsewhere on the island.

The location of the fabled Lana’i Superchargers is up in town at the intersection of 12th and Fraser Ave. There is a large new parking lot just north of the Four Seasons support buildings (laundry, bakery).

I’ve been looking through various satellite imagery and the only recent photos I can find are on Mapquest of all places.

1707199146604.png

Reactions: XHabjab
Model X only had 72amp max. There never was a 80 amp version. They went 48amp only in late (like Dec late) 2018.
Didnt early ones have a single/dual 40A for 40A or 80A? It’s why Gen 2 HPWC could need as high as 100A breaker for 80A charging. Or did they change that from S to X? Either way, 72A is 50% faster than 48A hence “supercharger.”

Discussion here