Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Las Cruces, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would be amazing. I am actually in Carlsbad right now but still too nervous to try the trip in my Model 3 LR. It’s not convenient to stop at the RV park or a McDonald’s for a few hours
You would have done well in the model 3 lr. I charged my model y lr few weekends ago. 2 hrs each day while staying at nearby hotel was more than plenty to drive around and make back to van horn SuC. I’ve taken our 2016 MX 90d with far less range into some out of network areas and never worried. Use PlugShare. Have an adventure. Charging has been getting better and easier.

Las Cruces, 2702 E Amador Ave, appears to be under construction:
IMG_20230413_145710755_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230413_145731058_HDR.jpg

Happy to see some active work taking place. Has anyone else tracked any other Supercharger builds ? About how long does it usually take for one of this size to be built and up and running ?
Weeks to months, it’s all over the place. Usually they’re built relatively quickly but it’s the transformer delivery that holds them up. There’s a huge shortage and every build needs one.

So when you see the big green (usually) box show up, you can know it won’t be long before the location is online.

Happy to see some active work taking place. Has anyone else tracked any other Supercharger builds ? About how long does it usually take for one of this size to be built and up and running ?
Construction times are highly variable. When they use prefab units the site can be up and running in a week or two. Otherwise two weeks to a month seems typical for construction. Even after construction is finished, opening can be delayed while the local electric utility places the big transformer needed and local inspectors sign off on the installation. Of late, Tesla techs have been pretty quick about doing the final checks and turning the new sites on.

I'll guess a month. You can keep watch and let us know how it goes!

I haven’t had a chance to pass by. Has anyone else passed by and saw any progress ?
I was just there about 2 weeks ago and did a drive-by of the site. Relative to your last picture I didn't see much progress so I didn't take a picture. I won't be back over to Cruces until mid-June. I've been hoping it would be done by then so I can use it on my way to Ruidoso. 🤞

Reactions: jamieorc
Photos. 5/31/2023:16:13

About six weeks to 2 months this until it’s complete.

Attachments

• IMG_4125.jpeg
    IMG_4125.jpeg
    607.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4124.jpeg
    IMG_4124.jpeg
    683 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_4123.jpeg
    IMG_4123.jpeg
    746.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4122.jpeg
    IMG_4122.jpeg
    782.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4121.jpeg
    IMG_4121.jpeg
    749.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4120.jpeg
    IMG_4120.jpeg
    672.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_4119.jpeg
    IMG_4119.jpeg
    716.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_4117.jpeg
    IMG_4117.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4116.jpeg
    IMG_4116.jpeg
    639.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4115.jpeg
    IMG_4115.jpeg
    871.5 KB · Views: 108
Just stopped by to check out this construction site. I try not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but this is just a terrible location. I always kind of liked Las Cruces and found it to be one of the better places to stop on the long boring stretch from Tucson to San Antonio (or Dallas or Austin), but this is not a nice part of Las Cruces. And being across the street from the truck stops is a real head scratcher. I'm not sure how busy that street gets during the day but obviously Tesla owners will be jaywalking to the restrooms all day.

The one thing it has going for it is that it's an easy on/off from I-10. All the better locations I can think of are either on I-25 or diversions off of both freeways (like say down near the university).

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
I am local to Las Cruces so hopefully will not have to use the Supercharger often, but I do follow your points regarding the location. I was hoping a Supercharger location would eventually be built in a convenient location near shopping / restaurants. Considering how long this location has been rumored and how long it has taken to get to this point, I will take what I can get. Hopefully another location is opened up at a more prime location in the future. I know I do see a lot more Teslas around town and on the interstate

Reactions: PLUS EV and IdaX